News: NWSL general news and info

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Blaze20, Sep 14, 2016.

1. Doogh

Doogh Member+

Oct 5, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    59Amerinorsk and lil_one repped this.
  2. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Some highlights from the thread and other threads:
    +5yr term for this CBA
    +Immediate increase in NWSL minimum salary to $35k
    +4% year-over-year guaranteed increases in the minimum salary after that
    +Free agency for players after a certain number of years in the league (2023-6yrs, 2024-5yrs, restricted free agency in 2024 for 3yrs-players)
    +workers comp coverage
    +6mo mental health leave
    +8wk paid maternity leave
    +commitment from NWSL each year of $250k-$300k for group license rights

Ratified on the eve of the planned player strike, so no play time is actually avoided (and explains why some teams were posting pics of players training earlier anyway)
    The free agency allowance is notable because it's better than current MLS free agency, despite NWSL being a fraction of MLS' age.

3. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also "no more playing on fields that require substantial conversion to the dimensions of a soccer field."

BTW, I paused at the phrase "subject to approval by the NWSL Board of Governors," but basically, they have to vote on the final language. It sounds like that's just a formality.

JanBalk and blissett repped this.
  4. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    That's great! But the question is, can the Clubs afford this?

Portland, who is drawing 16,000 per game obviously can, teams that are drawing 3-4,000 per game may not in the long run. That includes other MLS owned teams who are not drawing well on the women's side.
    Not trying to be negative, just putting out a few questions/thoughts.

Will this encourage or deter furthur growth or investment in the league?

5. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    The NWSL release said that this will amount to $100mil increase in spending for the clubs. It doesn't specify if that's per-club or overall (I expect overall considering that's orders of magnitude higher than what we've heard of as club yearly operating costs) nor does it specify if that's a $100mil increase immediately or over the course of several years. Depending on how you cut it, I'm guessing it can't amount to much more than double current operating costs per year per club, and probably less.

Double would certainly be a lot, but I'm guessing it won't spell doom. The clubs do share funds to an extent because of NWSL's single-entity structure, so I bet the smaller-budget clubs must feel comfortable enough with the state of the league that they feel they'll be supported with the higher expenses. Also, I bet that this very pro-player CBA will encourage more people to attend games *and* encourage more sponsorships as well. Lastly, I wouldn't be surprised if the Spirit ownership battle has caused a "rising tide lifts all boats" situation in terms of the presumed value of each club - it's not an increase in value unless a sale officially happens, but it's still an effective increase in value, which helps.

6. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    It's definitely all the teams over the length of the CBA.

20 players at $35k is $700k/team/year. Some players will make more than $35k, teams also have practice squads that make more than zero. Throw social security and medicare employer portion, I would expect teams will be around a million each per season, some possibly quite a bit more.

But the rosters weren't playing for free last year, so probably at best half of that is new spending.

The other benefits definitely add to the costs. 401k, housing, insurance and such.

Unless it's an 8-10 year CBA, I don't see where the NWSL gets to $100mm in new spending. Maybe total spending, especially with expansion, and especially if roster sizes increase to 24 (from 20-22). It'll be interesting to see what the minimum for the players beyond 20 is.

7. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we all immediately saw how big of a jump this was from the minimum in 2021, but it's also worth pointing out that this is more than the maximum salary during the first two years of the NWSL. (In 2013, the maximum salary was $30,000; of course, the minimum was $6,000. In 2014, the maximum was $31,500.)

toad455 and AndyMead repped this.
  8. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    hotjam2 repped this.
  9. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    League may push for more expansion teams to get extra money in expansion fees. League now needs another TV partner to get games on a major network. The CBA is a major deal but the league now needs to find ways to bring more money in.

10. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Need to bring in more sponsors as well.

toad455 repped this.
  11. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    I was surprised about revealing the contract, now other players may demand something like Rodman’s contract.

12. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Klingo3034 repped this.
  13. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Predmores stepping down from operating roles with OL Reign but will remain part of the ownership group:

14. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Sad. :( The Predmore era looked like the perfect spot between professionalism and family atmosphere. I will always be fond of the 2014-2015 Seattle Reign team: a pleasure to watch, a pleasure to root for.

McSkillz, Reign Man and kolabear repped this.
  15. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    With the new CBA in place, I'm guessing we, the players, and everyone else will start knowing more about every contract that gets signed. MLS salaries were made public once their first CBA was established, I'm guessing something similar will be happening in NWSL.

16. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
  17. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    When did they say the Challenge Cup schedule is coming out?

18. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    I'm also waiting for preseason schedule and who they playing as well.

19. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    The league never sets the preseason schedules - only what dates start and end preseason. You'll have to pay attention to individual teams to figure out what they are or aren't doing for preseason. Houston has announced a couple of matches, but that's all I've seen so far (admittedly not having looked very hard yet).

Klingo3034 repped this.
  20. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Maybe the college teams will be more transparent about it.

21. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    It's not about transparency, it's about whether the teams schedule things or not. Teams have never not advertised preseason games that they've scheduled.

22. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  23. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Klingo3034 repped this.
  24. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    BALDWIN AND LYNCH HAVE OFFICIALLY SOLD TO KANG

THE SAGA IS (seemingly) OVER!!!!

Reign Man, McSkillz, ytrs and 2 others repped this.
  25. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain