News: NWSL general news and info

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Blaze20, Sep 14, 2016.

1. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019

2. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    forgot about that.

3. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FIFA 23 specialty ematch with players playing against their own team.

4. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A Twitter discussion on the Liga MX Femenil "enthusiasm" (attendance at the final match was 36k with 34k for the 1st leg):

Average regular season attendance for the opening half of the season was 1745.

SiberianThunderT repped this.
  5. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
  6. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    What about the second half?

7. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    I think early first half they didn’t have any fans in yet cause of Covid.

8. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's now mid-season in Mexico. They still have the Clausura (the 2nd half of the season) to go.

Klingo3034 repped this.
  9. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Back in WUSA days (2001-03), MLS was struggling to stay above water itself. How much help could it have been to women's soccer?

10. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's discussed in the Twitter thread. The US/Mexico situations are quite different.

11. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Ya, Foudy said she didn't want MLS "riding on the women's coattails." How many leagues ago was that? And, she went to Stanford?

12. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Link to her actually saying that, please.

Roger Allaway repped this.
  13. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Like, an audio link? IDK if any of those exist. But it's a pretty oft-repeated factoid.

The exact wording may be more soccer lore at this point, but an ESPN article at the time includes:
    https://www.espn.com/soccer/s/2000/0218/365926.html
    The statement is usually attributed to Foudy, and she usually skirts around the issue of the WUSA/MLS relationship if it ever comes up in conversations recently.

To be fair, if you were comparing the 1999 MLS attendances to the 1999 WWC attendances, you'd probably be pretty confident too... Of course, that's not an apples-to-apples comparison, as WUSA soon found out.

Well, hindsight is 20/20... From some of the current partnerships, we've learned that two teams sharing overhead benefits both. If MLS could've afforded to partner with a new women's league, (and the affording part is another huge issue that MLS wasn't going to be able to do at that time anyway,) it probably would've helped both leagues.

14. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A related Twitter thread that casts a little shade toward NWSL:

But it would be interesting to know what drives the occasional high levels of Liga MX Femenil attendance. The men's clubs obviously have much deeper support compared to MLS clubs, which may contribute to the high numbers.

It's a bit knee-jerk to say that big crowds at the finals means Liga MX is ahead of NWSL.

15. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    SiberianThunder spelled it all out. Only thing I'd have done differently would have been to ask you first "before I do all the legwork for you, do you agree that this would have been an idiotic statement to make?"

Otherwise what's the point of proving it up for you? You'll just divert/deflect.

kolabear repped this.
  16. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Okay, so remember that the splash of LA's dispersed ownership group caused several other teams (NC, DC, CHI) to also bring in a number of famous minority "owners"? And how some discourse over the past tumultuous season noted that all of these minority owners have been largely silent?

Well, that seems to *finally* be changing:
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/12/27/washington-spirit-steve-baldwin-michele-kang/
    For whatever reason, the Post let me read this article for free, so in case anyone else can't read it, here's the gist: a handful of the Spirit's minority owners are threatening to sue Baldwin if he takes Todd Boehly's $25m offer for the Spirit instead of Y. Michelle Kang's $35m offer.

Klingo3034 repped this.
  17. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    News from the BroSo side:
    Real Salt Lake finally has a new owner. Two, actually:
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/davi...inment-group-to-purchase-real-salt-lake-x9626
    https://www.rslsoapbox.com/2022/1/5/22868785/blitzer-group-rsl-purchase-sportico-report
    https://theathletic.com/3053301/202...enzo-insignes-toronto-fc-salary-mls-notebook/
    The Athletic article is the only official piece I've seen that even mentions the Utah Royals, and even it admits that there's no indication whatsoever if the new RSL owners are interested in taking the NWSL expansion clause they have available. So I'm not holding my breath.

Klingo3034 repped this.
  18. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    https://www.rslsoapbox.com/2022/1/5...new-ownership-plans-to-bring-back-utah-royals

Earlier today the league announced that an ownership group with Ryan Smith and David Blitzer have purchased Real Salt Lake. For fans of the Utah Royals, the first question that came to mind was if the new owners would bring the Royals back. After the franchise was relocated to Kansas City in the wake of Dell Loy Hansen’s actions, the RSL organization retained the rights to the Utah Royals branding and could restart the team as early as 2023.

19. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hold your breath. :)

toad455, Doogh, SiberianThunderT and 3 others repped this.
  20. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    As the NWSL is at 12 teams (and not 26+) "good seats (expansion slots) are still available" as the radio announcers like to say. The NWSL is not going to artificially sunset a return to Salt Lake at this point.

That said, it will eventually get to the "shit or get off the pot" stage, but given the "feel good" return to KC last year, and all the bad press the league has had, I can see holding out the return to Salt Lake as a positive bump the league won't want to arbitrarily nip in the bud.

I'm not expecting a 30 team NWSL. I'm not sure I'll ever see a 24 team NWSL. But the league doesn't have more suitors than potential expansion spots. And given that some of the current ownership groups are probably going to need help if the league continues to grow its financial turnover.

SiberianThunderT and Klingo3034 repped this.
  21. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    I can probably see at least 20 at most.

22. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In other words, probably exactly 20. :laugh:

Klingo3034 and HouseofCards repped this.
  23. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Sounds like it probably won't be 2023, but considering NWSL wants to stay at an even number of teams and there isn't an obvious expansion partner yet, holding out until 2024 seems reasonable.

24. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    I can see the league pausing on expansion for 2023 and using the World Cup to build up their current 12 teams. Hopefully the Royals are back by 2024 with a 14th team also joining (Cincinnati? Austin? Oakland?).

25. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I should probably ask one of the sports industry/labor lawyers, but I'm wondering if some of the groups on the expansion sidelines are waiting to see how the USSF/USWNT lawsuit plays out. Especially those that own a men's professional soccer team.

It's one thing to expect publicly funded universities to spend the same resources on women's college athletics as they do on men's athletics.

And I definitely believe that professionals working at company should not discriminated against salary-wise in a given job based on gender.

But where do we draw the line. Portland Timbers players get paid a lot more than Portland Thorns players. If the USWNT wins its lawsuit (which at this stage it doesn't look like they will), will that be a problem for the organization? If it is a problem will FC Dallas players sue Hunt Sports Group because they don't earn the same as the Kansas City Chiefs players for essentially the same job (professional team athlete).

On the other hand, I'm pretty sure at this point the NC Courage player wage bill is higher than the NCFC player wages (though one could point out that the former is first division soccer and the latter is third division).

I can definitely see some folks taking a wait and see attitude with regards to ongoing litigation. Especially given some of the lawyers out there who seem motivated to find things soccer-related to sue about. You can win a lawsuit and still lose a ton of money.

Plus we're still in a pandemic and all knock-on economic effects of that.

SiberianThunderT repped this.