NWSL flavor of the week

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by RalleeMonkey, Mar 30, 2024.

1. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Thought I'd try this: Feel free to comment. Actually, please comment.

edcrocker repped this.
  2. alckz

alckz Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Eh? Isn’t there an NWSL thread already somewhere?

3. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    I'm not interested in foreign players. I'm interested in the prospects of USWNT players and prospective USWNT players.

4. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Do to March Madness, I’ve only watched an handful of NWSL highlights. But scoring wise, foreign players are indeed dominating as only 3 Americans are in the top 9 scorers so far(two goals or more). Of these; Sophie Smith scored her brace in the season opener, but looked awful next one as twice she ran downfield to score, only to be called back(she was offsides by an mile away)

KC’smid, DiBernadino got two goals, but probably more do to fwds Chawinga & Bia able to push the ball upfield & thus setting the pace for the rest of the team. DiBernadino was giving an shot at NT during Jill Ellis days

Ally Sentor has two goals for Utah , could be US best ‘new’prospect as she’s got an ‘wicked’ median range shot & was all over the place vs Washington. She’s only 20 years old

otherwise current foreign domination in the scoring department could be an scary thing; all five goals in the Bay/Dash match scored by foreigners, Orlando starting as many as four Brazilians. NWSL depending right now on too many speed burners

5. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    #5 RalleeMonkey, Apr 1, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2024
    I used to watch a decent amount of NWSL when there were a bunch of US-eligibles. Turning a match on and seeing like 3 US-eligibles is what drove me away. I'm trying to reinvigorate my interest in the league, which is why I started this thread. For me, watching a WSL match with a prominent US player and watching a NWSL match with a prominent American player is the same. And, I think NWSL is probably following the same pattern that MLS does: emphasizing foreign attacking players, thereby squelching US attacking players.

Not that I got that out of my system. I watched the 1st have of KC/LA, each team had a promising-looking young American (in addition to Alyssa). I'll check back in after watching the 2nd half.

DiBernardo's play in the first half was impressive. Yes, her whole team was dominating, but she was part of that domination. This is probably a bad year to start a FotW thread. No one is going to come out of nowhere to make the Oly roster. And, players like DiBernardo won't be around for 2027, I mean, not on the pitch.

Most importantly: thank you for your response.

6. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    DiBernadino got 2 goals/2 assists in three games, one would think she’ll get the call up if she continues in that pace, Sentor as well. Di going turn 32 next month however it’s probably now or never for her

Albert, Johannes & Gaiteno practically out of thin air to SheBa. It shows that Emma wants to Euro-nize the USWNT. Would say be careful what you ask for as for cuz her Chelsea tactics this last Sunday empathetic to watch; using an 4-4-2 with the bottom 8 barely getting out of its defensive rectangular formation, showed not much mobility trying to move frontwards—-3 shots on goal in 120 minutes of playing time/zero goals scored proved. Much more emphasis on dribbling skills is what apparently she was looking at as it was very tight/cramped within the rectangle area. Just don’t see this as an good fit for our American style soccer long balls & dribble drives

7. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Re: Emma, I was for hiring Ellis from South Africa.

On the call ups, KA has been in the group, Yohannes had to be called in based on performance and risk of losing her. Gaetano, is the suprise. For me, I don't want to judge EH on the one call up. Thank you for the informative reply!

8. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    It's actually Gaetino. :whistling:

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  9. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of the reasons I like this thread is because of its title. I think of "Flavor of the Week" as referring to someone who had a good game or two recently, so posters start calling for NT call ups. It's something that posters seem to have a penchant for. (I am not referring to DiBernardo, who has a long track record and has been in NT camps in the past.)

blissett repped this.
  10. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    It's borrowd from the men's side. Ya, it has a kind of a mocking "here today gone tomorrow" tone. But, that thread, year in,year out is super iinformative about US-eligible players. And no one is shouting about calling for NT call-ups. Maybe that's a women's team fan thing, not a men's team fan thing?

11. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting. Yes, I think it definitely is a women's team fan thing.

12. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Finished watching the match Claire Hutton, 18, was very good in central midfield for KC. A very coimplete game.

Kennedy Fuller looked like she fit in Angel City's midfield. She's only 17. And, I was impressed with Madison Curry at fullback for Angel City. I guess she's a rookie reserve, playing b/c injuries to others. I thought she played well.

13. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    @RalleeMonkey
    just found this off an German site, US got 3 of the top 7, but not sure if it means best u19 players or just who gets the best paid. Which ever it is, it shows an good future for US soccer. Not familiar with all the names, might be another American in this group
    434644974_941073551352868_827375418307540553_n.jpg

blissett repped this.
  14. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Thank you. I’m surprised the gap between Caicedo and everyone else isn’t bigger.
    Yes, that’s impressive.