NWSL coaching carousel

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by SiberianThunderT, Sep 1, 2021.

1. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Current discussion is split between the "news" and "moves" threads, so I thought it might be a good idea to make a dedicated thread to NWSL's coaching switches, especially since the "carousel" has been discussed in the past before. It's not that surprising for pro coaches to have relatively short tenures, but one thing that stuck out in NWSL was the fact that there have been a lot of lateral coaching moves within the league - Parsons from WAS to POR, Vlatko from KC to SEA, Gabarra from NJY to WAS, Harvey from SEA to UTA back to SEA, Coombe from NJY to LA - not to mention the number of assistants that got picked up by other teams (Reddy and Parkinson, just to name two). It's led in the past to criticisms of the lack of new blood in the coaching ranks, at least at the pro levels. We've had no previous players WUSA/WPS/NWSL players join the coaching ranks save a short 2013 season in POR with Parlow-Cone (and several have been assistants), and only once before (HOU w/ Waldrum) has an NCAA coach made the jump (though Burleigh could become full-time and become the second).

This summer is, of course, rather notable for how many teams have (announced a) switch of coaches. As of right now, there are only 4 teams on track to have the same coach at the start of next season that they started this season with:
    -KC / Williams
    -CHI / Dames
    -HOU / Clackson
    -NC / Riley
    ...and I've heard to WoSoJourno discussion about whether Williams get the benefit of the doubt to stay on. The changes so far are:
    -SEA / Benstiti resigned -> Harvey
    -POR / Parson leaving (NED) -> TBD
    -NJY / Coombe leaving (LA) -> Parkinson
    -ORL / Skinner leaving (MNU) -> TBD
    -LOU / Holly fired -> TBD
    -WAS / Burke fired -> TBD

I certainly hope that a lot of those TBDs can be filled with ex-players that have been assistant coaches before, or at least with women and/or Americans (as there's been commentary before on how many coaches in the league have been men and/or from the UK).

Heeligan2 repped this.
  2. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To paraphrase the Sara Lee pastry slogan: Nobody doesn't like Beverly Yanez.
    By concensus, Parkinson and Yanez were excellent choices by Gotham.
    As a WPS Champion with the WNY Flash, she wore a combination of the shortest shorts and shortest socks on the team.
    One of my favorite videos of her:

blissett repped this.
  3. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Count me in! :D

Also, I didn't know the video and I like it a lot (she's an amazing dancer and I like when she talks about her stint in Japan and Naho :giggle:).

CoachJon repped this.
  4. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Oops, I forgot we had a thread specifically for coaching changes. X-D

To update the first post:
    Only three teams to have no hints of the new coach yet. Of the new coaches added or look-to-be-added, we have three Americans and a Canadian, two women and two men. Definitely not bad! I'm still wishing Burleigh stayed on though.

59Amerinorsk repped this.
  5. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    59Amerinorsk repped this.
  6. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Louisville have found their next head coach:
    https://equalizersoccer.com/2021/12/09/racing-louisville-hires-kim-bjorkegren-as-new-head-coach/
    Not female, not American.... But also not British! So at least a little more diversity among the NWSL coaching group. X-D

Other good news at least is that it sounds like the players were *heavily* involved in the process, and hopefully the league's new background check protocol worked well.

Heeligan2 repped this.
  7. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    It's now official: Kris Ward is made permanent head coach for the Washington Spirit.

8. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Can't wait to see who the Red Stars will chose as new coach.

I've heard nothing but good stuff on Rade Tanaskovic, the current Acting Head Coach. I've talked to a couple people in the know and they say he is a nice man and a very good soccer coach, not just a good goalkeeper coach.

I personally would like to see Lori Chalupny, former Red Stars Captain get an interview. Bring back Marcia McDermott as GM.

9. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    The only reason I don't want Lori to go coach Chicago is because I'm holding out hope that STL City starts an NWSL side in the near future :D

Reign Man repped this.
  10. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lloyd Yaxley leaves GK coach position at ORL.

11. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Huge loss. He literally coached that team after Skinner bailed. Don’t have any clue what Orlando is doing. Announced Cromwell a month ago and it’s been crickets since

12. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Well IIRC the ownership changed recently, and ever since then they've basically been cleaning house, both in the FO and on the field. Just looking for a fresh start, which isn't unreasonable.
    And speaking of the carousel - he's now with the KC Current.

13. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    KC Current adds Matt Potter, most recently from the USYNT and previously with long stints at Oklahoma and Washington State

14. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    No carousel in this case: Chicago hires Chris Petrucelli from SMU as their new head coach.

59Amerinorsk and blissett repped this.
  15. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Great hire for the Red Stars, IMO. I remember him when he was at Notre Dame when he coached Shannon Boxx and Kate Markgraf to a NCAA Championship in 1995. A right person to move the Club away from the Dames turmoil. Well liked and respected by players and peers.

59Amerinorsk and SiberianThunderT repped this.
  16. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    THE LAST HAS FALLEN.
    (Or is falling and likely will be officially felled soon)

Houston has suspended James Clarkson indefinitely on a recommendation they received last week from the ongoing joint NWSL/NWSLPA investigation into historic harassment and abuse

Not a single coach that started the regular season last year will be in the same position at the start of this year's regular season.

lil_one and 59Amerinorsk repped this.
  17. 59Amerinorsk

59Amerinorsk Member

Chicago Red Stars
    Norway
    Mar 31, 2017
    :eek:

18. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    Early indications are that better humans are leading the teams now. Out with the old school bully coaches.

Reign Man repped this.
  19. Fanatic#88

Fanatic#88 Member

Nov 22, 2021
    Ring, ring. Hello Mark K. Can we talk?

20. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    Oh great thinking!

21. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Can someone name a college coach who has succeeded in the NWSL?

22. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    With three currently coaching in the NWSL (Potter, Petrucelli, and Cromwell), at least one is bound too. I also think Mark K is a damn good coach who would do well at any level.

Noledavey and Fanatic#88 repped this.
  23. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Waldrum also lasted for a bit over three seasons, which is more than a fair number of coaches could say, including a 2015 season that matched HOU's best placement to date (5th). Granted, the fact that HOU has experimented with a college coach before may be a knock against the idea for them specifically.

24. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems that the Clarkson situtationhas a different vibe than Riley, Burke, Dames, and others. His situation may stem from a single case, rather than a long-perpetuated course of behaviors. Since there was a complaint, it goes into the system. And now his case is gummed up with all the other crap that is being investigated. As such resolution may take much longer than it would have if the complaint was being managed on its own.

25. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #25 lil_one, Jun 7, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2022
    No one's fired yet, and I hate having to bump this thread, but this seemed to belong here:

Apparently, the investigation is looking at alleged retaliation:

EDIT to add: Athletic already has an article up on it, which mostly just adds background info but also the tidbit (from multiple sources) that the NWSL has frozen Orlando's roster

SiberianThunderT and blissett repped this.