NWSL Challenge Cup 2022

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by McSkillz, Feb 7, 2022.

1. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I've seen that at least in highlights. That's why I asked if those videos that were posted earlier were the full games: I guess I have no access to those.

2. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    By the way, what's the story behind the "burners" spitting two flames in the air after each Reign's goal? o_O I hadn't seen anything of the kind before.

3. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    .........it seems that only now are many people realizing how mucked up the scheduling of the Challenge Cup Semifinal and Final games was to begin with................

For the record, here are the last round of group play games in the Challenge Cup:
    Saturday April 23​
    WAS at NC 1:00 ET - CBS and P+
    ORL at GOT 7:00 ET - P+
    RGN at SD 10:00 ET - P+
    Sunday April 24​
    CHI at KC 5:00 ET - P+
    LOU at HOU 6:00 ET - CBSSN
    POR at LA 9:00 ET - P+

Most folks have been saying how well Mal Pugh is playing right now - what struck me in the Louisvile game was her creative and light-footed movement without the ball - she constantly appeared in dangerous places among the defenders. I fear that her concussion (diagnosed by me as she left the field) a. may have long-term concequences to her health and b. jolt her out of the sublime "zone" she has been playing in.

-CJ

4. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    They use that for Seattle Sounders when they score goals. Now they doing the same when Reign plays there and score goals.

blissett repped this.
  5. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019

Awesome new kit by Orlando Pride! I'm liking some of the "white" kits they putting out for the NWSL teams.

ytrs repped this.
  6. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The field mics on this WAS vs NC game are great.

SiberianThunderT and Klingo3034 repped this.
  7. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Visually, audibly, and action-wise this is an entertaining game for Big CBS to have.

SiberianThunderT repped this.
  8. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    looks like the Spirits CB’s might be their Achilles heel

9. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #84 hotjam2, Apr 24, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2022
    I watched the Wash/NC game since it was live on national tv(beats watching replays on YT). The Spirit need to work on an few things; Rodman got a habit of racing down the left, makes an sharp look right/horizontal run & then boots s wicked, but alas unfocused shot that goes way wild. She did this several times to no avail, so just saying she needs to start aiming her shots way better iif she going to continue doing this maneuver over & over again. Feels like Amber Brooks been around forever, unfortunately doesn’t make her a great CB; couldn’t handle the NC counters & in one particular play, made an soft boot from the back that landed on the feet of NC’s Berkeley for an easy shot & goal. On the other hand, Sanchez was an joy; her dribble drives & playmaking were more enjoyable than even Lavelle’s. Right-FB Biegowski incredibly speedy as shown when she double tracked back on an NC counter & was able to get the tackle on Debhina even though the latter had an 15 yard advantage over her.
    And speaking of NC; give them credit that despite loosing Mewis & Williams, they look as sharp as ever, especially in counterattacks. Not just Brazil’s one, two punch of Debinha & Kerolin, simply the best darn left fullback in the world in the world in Daniels!
    Overall an exciting game to watch. Wide open spacing in sharp contrast to Euro-centric’s compact style as shown at their Champions League, it’s no wonder NWSL keeps beating the top Euro teams in head to head competition
    Hopefully more matches on CBS will be available to watch(dunno their schedule)

Klingo3034 repped this.
  10. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Looking at the standings, the Challenge Cup came out about as I would have expected -- with one difference. North Carolina, despite losing many of its best players, did better than I would have expected.

The Carolina/Washington game was by far the most entertaining. With Debinha, Kerolini, Sanchez, Rodman, and Hatch in the game, you've got most of the most exciting players in the league on the field at the same time. Sanchez just gets better and better. I would second what hotjam said about Biegalski. She has looked good to me: big, strong, and fast.

11. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Semifinals are set! RGN hosting WAS, rematch of last year's playoffs semifinal, and KC hosting NC.

I gotta say that LA's win over POR tonight passed the eye test for sure - POR weren't particularly bad at all, but LA came in with a plan and definitely had the better in pushing forward a lot. Those glimpses that we've seen from LA finally came together in a full 90min performance.

blissett repped this.
  12. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    It was anyway quite unfortunate for the Thorns that they had 5 players unavailable for covid protocol, including Sophia Smith and Hina Sugita. :unsure:

Klingo3034 repped this.
  13. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Yeah the announcers mentioned a short bench on POR's side, with COVID protocol also keeping the coach home as well. Even a generally good side will have an off day with that kind of disruption!

blissett repped this.
  14. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    By the way, am I right that, if the Thorns had kept the 3 goal advantage they had at Half-Time in last week's match, instead of letting San Diego come back to 3-2, they would have advanced to the semifinal on goal difference despite yesterday's loss?

15. 59Amerinorsk

59Amerinorsk Member

Chicago Red Stars
    Norway
    Mar 31, 2017
    CRS fought as best they could. Despite being the team that has suffered the most with injuries/LOAs. Will be an interesting regular season.

Klingo3034 and blissett repped this.
  16. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Nope! Even if the Thorns had kept it at 3-0, they would've had a GD of +5 (instead of the +3 they have now) which only matches the Spirit's +5. Then, if two teams are even on GD, the next tiebreak is total goals scored - and then Washington would still have that at 12 goals scored to 8 from Portland.

CoachJon and blissett repped this.
  17. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Actually seems like not the case; I notice that the game will be at Segra field despite WAS being the lowest seed! It makes me recall, though, hearing something about the Reign not having access to Lumen maybe because of Sounders stuff.

The Reign *are* able to host the final on the 7th should they beat Washington; interestingly, they will be in DC on the 1st already for the season opener against the Spirit - and that one will be at Audi. Shame the semifinal couldn't be at Audi either; Segra not gonna be great for a TV game.

Klingo3034 and blissett repped this.
  18. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    And now I know why:
    Audi Field will be hosting an all-day conference on the fourth that - no joke - will feature "a keynote panel with new NWSL Commissioner Jessica Berman and USSF President Cindy Parlow Cone"
    Can't make this sh!t up :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
    https://www.sounderatheart.com/2022...on-spirit-challenge-cup-semifinal-segra-field
    https://www.blackandredunited.com/w...t-ol-reign-segra-field-lumen-field-audi-field

CoachJon and Smallchief repped this.
  19. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--

Why not move the "keynote" panel to the Holiday Inn? A small room should be sufficient.

CoachJon repped this.
  20. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also missing another starting defender in their three-center back system and another starting midfielder. Plus their starting right back just back from an illness (not Covid) and able to go only 15 minutes. It was just too big of an ask.

blissett repped this.
  21. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Jokes about NWSL's cachet aside, just moving the keynote won't solve the fact there's an entire conference using most of the space at Audi

22. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    NC v WAS on CBS drew 368k watchers. That's more than either MLS game this weekend; granted, both MLS games were on cable instead of broadcast TV, but at the same time, the NWSL game was direct counter-programming to the EPL on NBC and Bundesliga on ABC.

23. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    I cannot understand how Reign cannot get a stadium in Seattle to play at? Call UW or one of the other colleges in the area. There has to be something there to use. Especially when Spirit is using a secondary facility to host it.

24. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    That’s an ridiculously small amount of viewers for something that was shown on national TV, but it goes to show America’s love-hate relationship with soccer & at least it’s on major participation sport instead of an entertainment one, as at almost every Saturday, over an millions across the country parents will take their kids to participate in an soccer game.
    But unfortunately the low CBS ratings will keep TV contract bids to an minimum; only $2 million given by Paramount+ for TV/stream rights, paltry if divided by the NWSL & it’s 12 clubs

25. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    ...did.... did you just see the top-line number and entirely miss the context of the rest of the post??? and/or completely forget past numbers and comparisons??? :confused:

ytrs repped this.