NWSL 2024 Week 14

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Jeremy Goodwin, Jun 28, 2024.

1. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's the penultimate week before the summer break!

FRI Jun 28
    20:00 Kansas City hosts Houston (Prime Video)
    22:00 San Diego hosts Chicago (NWSL+)

SAT Jun 29
    16:00 Louisville hosts Bay FC (ESPN etc)
    19:30 Washington hosts North Carolina (ION)
    22:00 Utah hosts Portland (ION)

SUN Jun 30
    13:00 Gotham hosts Seattle (ESPN2 etc)
    19:30 Angel City hosts Orlando (NWSL+)

NWSL issued a summary of the league's attendance and television rating accomplishments in the first half of 2024. It notes three games so far this season with Nielsen ratings equivalent to over half a million viewers each (on ABC and CBS), and strong viewership of the pre-match show on ION.

Washington's star rookie Croix Bethune has been named as an alternate for the US Olympic squad.

Bay FC GM Lucy Rushton has resigned her position, with Matt Potter taking the interim sporting director role. Casey Stoney was also released from San Diego after a string of bad results, despite leading the team to the the best regular season record in 2023.

The AP spoke with Banda and Marta about Orlando's success this year. Banda's compatriot Grace Chanda is expected to join Orlando from Madrid after the Olympic break.

ESPN spoke with Washington coach Jonatan Giraldez about the decision to move from Barcelona to the US and the NWSL Level of League.

Tobin Heath of the RE-CAP show will appear in ION NWSL segments spotlighting players.

Untitled.png

kolabear and Cheetah101 repped this.
  2. Cheetah101

Cheetah101 Member

Apr 21, 2009
    Arizona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You look at the Wave and they have the 3rd best goals against and you're like, "ok, that makes sense": Girma, Dahlkemper, Sheridan, and McCaskill.

Then you look at their goals for and it just becomes a real headscratcher, as they are 3rd worst in that category with the likes of: Morgan, Shaw, Sanchez, Jacobsson, and Doniak.

3. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Their xG-for has actually never been spectacular, so it's not like it's a problem that's just surfaced this year. Sure, there's been a small drop-off, but the increase in xG-against is the kicker for where they are in the standings right now.

Plot courtesy of the Athletic:
    upload_2024-6-28_17-55-28.png
    https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5587827/2024/06/24/casey-stoney-san-diego-wave-departs/
    The reason given in the article is that the Wave is built to play well off the ball, and teams this year have learned to cede possession to the Wave, who don't know what to do with it very well.

kolabear repped this.
  4. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Okay WTF is it with NC beating WAS by 1-0 in WAS? :mad:

Jeremy Goodwin repped this.
  5. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nahas, best darn coach in the whole bleeping league!
    But knowing the NWSL, will award Vlatko(coach of the year) for letting Chawinga go on her endless Rambo -esq dribble drives

kolabear repped this.
  6. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    If Nahas was actually an above-average coach in the league, this wouldn't have been NC's first win on the road (first road point at all, even!) this season. It's just that NC seemingly has WAS's number - since WAS's 2021 playoff victory, they're 1W-3D-5L against NC, and that win wasn't even at home.

7. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I'll make myself even sadder here:
    From June 14th of last year to this past weekend, NC is 4W-1D-11L on the road. Three of those four wins were over WAS by one goal (2-1 in the 2023 Challenge Cup groups, 1-0 on the final day of the regular season to deny WAS playoffs, and 1-0 this past weekend.) Over the past slightly-more-than-a-year, NC has more than twice as many road points against WAS than against the rest of the league combined.

blissett repped this.
  8. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Code:
    Team                Open   Curr  Change    SoS
    Orlando Pride       1444   1571   +127    0.5125
    Kansas City Current 1521   1607   + 86    0.4245
    Washington Spirit   1511   1571   + 60    0.4617
    NJ/NY Gotham FC     1553   1588   + 35    0.4298
    Portland Thorns FC  1561   1568   +  7    0.4487
    Chicago Red Stars   1497   1491   -  6    0.5423
    NC Courage          1559   1547   - 12    0.5160
    Racing Louisville   1508   1488   - 20    0.5170
    Houston Dash        1499   1479   - 20    0.5109
    Bay FC              1500   1480   - 20    0.5066
    San Diego Wave FC   1517   1488   - 29    0.4692
    Angel City FC       1533   1485   - 48    0.5466
    Utah Royals         1500   1422   - 78    0.5917
    Seattle Reign FC    1580   1498   - 82    0.5144
    I think I might have reposted week 12 to week 13 last week. At the very least I attached the old file instead of the new one.

Attached Files:

9. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Orlando is just beating people with a stick at this point.

blissett and kolabear repped this.
  10. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they beat Kansas City this weekend, they just might be on an unstoppable roll.

Not that we want to turn everything into a discussion about the US national team, but it's kind of wild that the Olympics roster has no one from Orlando on it. Who are Summer Yates, Kerry Abello, Emily (Madril-) Sams? They must be doing something right.

Meanwhile the GK, Anna Moorhouse, earned a call-up from England and Sarina Wiegman

blissett and TheJoeGreene repped this.
  11. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #11 hotjam2, Jul 3, 2024
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2024
    nobody from KC as well. NWSL players barely had relevance in last year’s WC. Even our own NT’s barely played for their respective clubs—-going here with the beloved Julie Ertz put in an whole 27 minutes for the Red Stars(claiming injury) yet somehow managed to play every single minute at the WC

Brazil’s just announced Olympics squad is quite shocking as it didn’t pick Debhina or Bia(who’s had quite an influence on KC success but did pick Kerolin(who hadn’t hasn’t yet to play for NC this season.

one thing to worry about is that American players aren’t quite as savvy as their counterparts. I mean going with the US/Uruguay men’s match the other day where the Uruguayans kept failing down like they’ve been hit by an freight train just by an mere shove as an way to coxe the ref to give our players an yellow or red. Quite stunning that Adams drive up the middle where an Uruguayan steps in with studs stomping on his foot, yet it’s Adam’s got the yellow. Should we stoop down this low as well & send our kids to diving schools as well?—-cuz that’s what I see happening in the womens game as well(or at least our opponents)

kolabear repped this.
  12. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Orlando scores first as both teams are going at each other with no fear.

13. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    KC hits back immediately. Chawinga with a phenomenal run.

14. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Carrie Lawrence took her stupid pills today. She hacked and hacked away on Chawinga from the opening whistle and got a 2nd yellow in the 42nd minute.

kolabear repped this.
  15. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Marta seemed to think Lawrence took her stupid pills, too. At first, I thought Marta was screaming at the ref but instead she was furious with her teammate. Oof
    There's pretty much a consensus in the Ref Forum and, for what it's worth, I agree with them. I was somewhat shocked by the call — with my immediate thought being the referee, Joshua Encarnacion, was "making up" for the red card on Orlando and "evening things up" a little. Not really appropriate in my view

No way do I have a yellow card for Franch on this. I don't think I've ever seen a yellow on a goalkeeper for something like this.

Link to the initial post in the Ref Forum: https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/2...e-discussion-rs.2129669/page-10#post-42365748

I haven't seen the whole game yet but it's tempting to ask how VLATKO messed up a 11 vs 10 game (Someone on X-Twitter quipped that VLATKO reverted to USWNT-VLATKO)

He had good players out there so maybe not. Or his big mistake was letting Bayley Feist and Kristen Hamilton get so rusty over the last couple months. If they weren't so rusty, perhaps
    • Play Hamilton as the center-forward and move Debinha back into the attacking midfielder position. Those two know how to play with each other going back to North Carolina days
    • Swap Feist for Lavogez, go for complete stranglehold of the middle and play without a traditional #10, since Debinha was playing as a false 9 anyway. LaBonta, Hutton, Feist all have decent good attacking skills and are opportunistic in getting forward
    • Just blame VLATKO anyway, for whatever reason (tee-hee!)

17. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Update: Sams has been picked as an alternate for the US Olympic roster after Macario injures out and Williams is thus bumped from alternate to main.

kolabear repped this.