NWSL 2021 Referees

Discussion in 'Referee' started by rh89, Apr 10, 2021.

1. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The wrong defender (Nielsen #14) was initially shown the red card until it got straightened out and it was given to Staab (#3).

For those who want to watch the play, it's at the beginning of the highlights video:

I'd love to hear more about this one because there seems to be cover from a 2nd defender (cover from the defender who was initially shown the red card incorrectly). I guess you could say Nielsen wouldn't have had time to retreat and cover without Staab's tug on Purce, but she was right there. Or is it something else I'm missing?

kolabear repped this.
  2. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    I think you have it right. Nielsen is still a few yards away when Staab holds Purce, who had plenty of space to shoot. She probably should have attempted a shot anyway instead of going down like a ton of bricks but it doesn't undo the foul.

jazehr and kolabear repped this.
  3. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #128 kolabear, Jul 19, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
    One of Portland's young star players, Morgan Weaver (a #2 draft pick), was injured in a spectacular collision last night. I'll leave this here for any who want to comment on it. (I won't comment in this forum because I know I'm unpopular in these here parts at the moment)
    Gunny Jonsdottir is the Orlando player making the tackle from behind. Phoebe McLernon is the player Weaver crashes into.
    1416978094888468483 is not a valid tweet id

Just before this, around 79'00 Portland picks up a red yellow card. THEN THE REFEREE COMES OVER TO THE TOUCHLINE AND ISSUES A YELLOW CARD TO ORLANDO'S BENCH. The tackle/collision takes place almost immediately after the restart around 81'00
    I think you'll be able to access the video on Twitch
    2:00:14 of the Twitch video stream
    EDIT : correction made thanks to @cpthomas

4. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One correction, this particular card was a yellow, not a red.

I hope some of you refs will take a look at this and give your thoughts.

kolabear repped this.
  5. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about holding the whistle for 2 seconds given the fact that the other attacker is able to just slot the ball home easily once two bodies hit the floor and the other defender is out of the picture. Sure, the goalkeeper would have attempted a save if not for the whistle, but you can at least take your chances and allow that shot. Particularly since the restart was going to be a DFK and not PK.

Woe is you.

I mean, if you think you're so unpopular that your commentary isn't wanted, I can guarantee just dropping clips of perceived referee mistakes without commentary will make you even less so.

I see a foul tackle from behind worthy of a yellow card and then a freak collision that is nothing. In the interest of getting to the point here... so what? If no card was given, it's a miss. Missed yellow cards happen all the time. If the card was given, I'm even more perplexed by why this is presented. Either way, I'm most perplexed that we know the fouled player was a #2 draft pick but we don't know the referee's decision.

kolabear repped this.
  6. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    #131 threeputzzz, Jul 19, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
    Agreed missed the advantage. I was just focused on the dogso decision.

That's what it looked like in the twitter feed but in the twitch video McClernon appears to be lining Weaver up. I think she was lucky to get away with just a caution.

kolabear repped this.
  7. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So the tackling player didn't get a card? That's not the best.

I mean, I'm open to what you're saying. But I'd also say that the standing player (McLemon) has to stop and brace herself for the collision, too, so there would be ambiguity here. The easiest thing to do here is to caution the tackler, because it's a clear yellow card and is the immediate cause of the whole thing.

kolabear repped this.
  8. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    Correct, that scissors tackle from behind earned just a foul call, I suspect because of what happened immediately following. Weaver was injured from the tackle by Jonsdottir which I agree was also worthy of at least a caution.

In the full video it looks to me that McClernon is setting a basketball style pick with disastrous results. Just a nasty sequence all around.

9. Thug Mentality

May 30, 2011
    Don’t see any lining up by McClernon whatsoever. It was a clumsy play. At the time she commits to moving towards Weaver to make a challenge, Weaver jumps forward into that same space to evade the slide from behind, which McClernon couldn’t have anticipated. They collide. Weaver got the worst of it because she was off-balance from her jump. You can see McClernon bracing and trying to stop. That’s not how picks are set.

Had the tackle from behind not happened McClernon was in line to make a well-meaning challenge. Look at her concern as soon as the collision happens. Look at her genuine shock at the opponents rushing in and targeting her. Not the reaction of a player lining someone up.

Hardly a yellow and red should never be in discussion. It was just an unfortunate collision totally created by the slide from behind, the real culprit.

rh89, GoDawgsGo and MassachusettsRef repped this.
  10. Ghastly Officiating

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Oct 12, 2017
    This reminds me of the Son red card against Everton from a few years ago where a tackle from behind forced the Everton player into Son and resulted in a nasty injury. The original tackle received no misconduct as well.

11. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    This is where we disagree. A well meaning challenge would have her continuing her diagonal run toward the touchline, instead she cuts to her left to create contact before the tackle by Jonsdottir.

12. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Ouch. Nice open field tackle to save a touchdown . . .

13. rh89

rh89 Member

Sep 29, 2015
    OR
    Agreed with the above - YC should be on the bad tackle and not the collision, but it's not an awful miss and the referee did a great job bringing urgency to the situation and diffusing a potential mass confrontation in front of the benches.

I've seen a couple comments that the referee lacked YCs for this game but I disagree. Was there live and thought that calls were spot on. Maybe one foul I would have done differently but it was a good match! Feel like some of the other complaints about referees on games are bleeding into an inability to recognize a genuinely solid performance!

lil_one and kolabear repped this.
  14. Thug Mentality

May 30, 2011
    Not sure what the replay is for. I’ve seen it and used it to detail what happened already.

You have to see who initiates the contact. If you see it as anyone other than Weaver initiating contact I can’t say much further. It’s very clear that Weaver jumps into McClernon unexpectedly. She is then off balance due to her jump which makes the contact and fall worse. Had the forward jump not happened (which is to say had the slide tackle not happened to create the jump), Weaver stays on her feet and stays on that path that McClernon calculated her to be in, and McClernon makes a clean tackle while both are standing up. Or, at worst, she carelessly trips her (with much less force due to the *expected* timing of the challenge and much more favorable body positions) if Weaver cuts on her. Then you’re looking at maybe a SPA foul.

To make it very clear, this isn’t to say Weaver is at fault for getting hurt. It’s to say that the slide tackle was what was reckless, and deserves the foul and yellow as it’s what creates the collision. It’s also to say that not seeing the details properly creates unfair and out of place commentary like McClernon was being dirty and maybe should have seen red. It wasn’t a targeted dirty play. She was careless at worst and it was a freak collision. She put herself in the space she judged would give her the best shot at making a play and got blasted, but because she was upright and Weaver wasn’t it was Weaver who got the worst of it.

Lastly, as mentioned above the referee decision to card MC wasn’t unreasonable given the optics and that’s not my concern, moreso the insinuation that MC was making anything but a genuine play.

15. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    Agreed.

I see it as McClernon, so clearly we're not going to agree on this one. Peace.

16. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was at the game too and agree with your general observation.

Thanks all for the analysis, very educational.

kolabear and rh89 repped this.
  17. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #142 kolabear, Jul 20, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
    Glad to see the discussion on Portland / Orlando. This must've been a difficult match to officiate. I rewatched the 1st half and it was... uglier than my first impression. Lots of fouls. Several at least candidates for caution.

I'm curious how referees see blindside challenges like the one in 1st half stoppage time. Orlando's Kornieck calls for her teammate to pass the ball on a diagonal in front of her. Portland's Hubly , behind her, comes up to challenge. Kornieck's foot spears Hubly's as Hubly sweeps to clear but of course Kornieck never sees her. Meanwhile, as a replay shows, Kornieck's head gets smacked by Hubly's shoulder.

About 3'45 in stoppage; 1:01:40 of the Twitch stream

CR doesn't have the benefit of having the challenge develop in front of her either as she has to turn to follow the flight of the ball.

Extracurricular observations: Coach Mark Parsons seems to raise his hands wondering where the call is for Kornieck catching Hubly with her foot. But after seeing his player alright and Kornieck crumpled on the ground, he applauds the tackle.

No foul was called on the play. I now wonder if this (along with the general bad temper of the match) played a big part in Orlando's bench getting a yellow card later

18. rh89

rh89 Member

Sep 29, 2015
    OR

19. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    I don't think even the MLS or the EPL would reach that far and try to rescind a red card for that incident.

It's a clear foul. You can clearly see the shirt pull. Now is the covering defender close enough to not make it an OGSO? Maybe. I can buy it if it is 30 or 40 yards from goal. But the foul took place right on top of the 18.

You have to give the benefit of the doubt to the referee and the benefit of the doubt to the attacker here and say it is an OGSO. I know I would be giving a red card for that.

I know they don't care, but talk about the NWSL throwing it's referees under the bus. It seems like your referees are getting scrutinized every weak by the coaches and you use this incident to throw your referees publicly under the bus. "Look, yeah we know our referees are bad."

Talk about wasting your bullets. At least rescind for something much more clearly wrong than this.

rh89, jazehr, threeputzzz and 6 others repped this.
  20. Thug Mentality

May 30, 2011
    Seems as if a significant shake up is coming regarding the pool of referees. They've heard the consistent complaints from coaches loud and clear.

rh89 and kolabear repped this.
  21. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where are we going to find more women referees? From the college ranks? Someone here (I think) said even the NCAA Div I pays twice what the NWSL pays (someone correct me quickly if that's wrong). That might provide a pool of more women referees to draw from.

Because, remember, I'm told by everyone here the problem is not one of the league and the Professional Referees Organization adopting a policy of women-referees-only-if-at-all-possible.

22. gaolin

gaolin Member+

Apr 21, 2019
    Mind providing source? Or what the plan entails?

Though I'm not surprised because I've seen more players call for referees being held accountable on the NWSL side and some coaches are being heard for sure.

Unfortunately, the best teacher is experience. There was a post earlier from someone saying that referees like Abt, Koroleva, Penso etc. (FIFA-badged referees) cannot afford to make mistakes whereas Callado, Martinez, Rodriguez, Nichols, Simon are still freshmen/sophomores... (albeit being National Refs in the PRO tier)... well... this is their classroom.

23. Thug Mentality

May 30, 2011
    I don’t really think that’s how it works. The best women referees are already in the league (NWSL) I would guess. With college the D1 women’s pool includes more men referees anyway.

I think less of the using games for experience and more of a focus on using experience for the game, like expanding the pool just short of the full-time MLS referees, which is kind of how I think it has been in past years.

frankieboylampard and kolabear repped this.
  24. Geko

Geko Member

Sacremento Geckos
    United States
    May 25, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where did you hear this? Or are you just speculating or hoping?

25. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #150 kolabear, Aug 9, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2021
    Chicago Red Stars / Orlando Pride — I don't think there's going to be too much disagreement here that the CR lets play get out of hand. Two Chicago players are awaiting MRIs tomorrow, one Chicago assistant got a red card and another a yellow and Coach Rory Dames had something to say about the officiating again. And this time, I don't think he'll get too many people disagreeing with him
    1424573094040154115 is not a valid tweet id

An earlier foul by Turner which brought no yellow card
    1424579297700978693 is not a valid tweet id

Danielle Colaprico had to leave the game after this and she'll be getting an MRI on Monday
    1424560234232750086 is not a valid tweet id

And the foul which forced Morgan Gautrat from the game. She'll be getting an MRI, too. Perhaps this is the least card-worthy of the bunch? So the issue is whether the referee encouraged dangerous tackles throughout by not using cards early enough or by issuing yellow where red was more appropriate.
    1424557339177275395 is not a valid tweet id

And Rory Dames' comment afterwards

I believe the CR is Luis Guardia (according to the PRO assignment page), which is interesting in that it's a guy in light of my comments that I thought NWSL might need to open the pool of referees to include more men. On other hand, I don't recall this referee working NWSL in the past. He may well have but he's not one of the names familiar to me

I hope this doesn't become a case of needing to be careful what I wish for...