NWSL 2021 Referees

Discussion in 'Referee' started by rh89, Apr 10, 2021.

1. rh89

rh89 Member

Sep 29, 2015
    OR
    I want to have a thread for the NWSL referees. Here's the Week 1 Assignments.

04/09/21
    Houston Dash vs Chicago Red Stars
    BBVA Stadium (8:30PM ET)
    REF: Tori Penso
    AR1: Alicia Messer
    AR2: Salma Perez
    4TH: Gerald Flores

Portland Thorns vs Kansas City
    Providence Park (10:30PM ET)
    REF: Danielle Chesky
    AR1: Deleana Quan
    AR2: Kali Smith
    4TH: Adorae Monroy

04/10/21

North Carolina Courage vs Washington Spirit
    WakeMed Soccer Park (3:30PM ET)
    REF: Alyssa Nichols
    AR1: Jennifer Garner
    AR2: Jordan Davis
    4TH: Emma Richards

Racing Louisville vs Orlando Pride
    Lynn Family Stadium (7PM ET)
    REF: Katja Koroleva
    AR1: Brooke Mayo
    AR2: Maggie Short
    4TH: Nabil Bensalah

Charron, Klingo3034, kolabear and 2 others repped this.
  2. rh89

rh89 Member

Sep 29, 2015
    OR
    So a lot of discussion about Chesky's performance, and the Thorns-KC finishing with 4 RCs (3 players, 1 coach). This particular incident resulted in 2 RCs (for the two players involved) and no other cards for the ensuing mass confrontation.

1380746659743735808 is not a valid tweet id

My thought are that:
    1. Chesky probably turned away from the play too early. Credit to AR2 Kali Smith who saw the whole thing and clearly told Chesky who was involved. (I was at the game and Smith came across, was clearly talking into her mic telling Chesky what was what.)
    2. I think that Chesky probably did best she could having not seen the fight herself, and Smith was on the other side of the field so probably couldn't differentiate exactly what each player did. To that end, from game control, 2RCs seems correct. However, it does seem on review that Weaver (the Thorns player) didn't ever do something that rose to a RC offense. I'm really curious what the DisCo says (Thorns are appealing).
    3. This does speak to a space where VAR would be beneficial to NWSL. This is that suicide corner that makes it tough to officiate and extra eyes might be helpful. With that said, there are calls from players that this is an example of the poor officiating quality for women's sports, and I don't really see that. This is a particular case (suicide corner) that is difficult for any referee team. To be clear, I do want more investment in women's officiating, I just don't feel like this is an example of a failure to invest (except that they haven't invested in VAR like the men's game, so I am contradicting myself).

RefIADad, lil_one, kolabear and 2 others repped this.
  3. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally I don't think a VAR recommends a review on the Weaver red, but I also don't think Weaver gets sent if not for Edmonds' retaliatory strike. Funny how that works.

If their appeal is successful, that's whatever. It doesn't change the events of the match. It just means the league doesn't want a suspension. I think there's enough there that they shouldn't touch it, personally, but my big question is whether there even *is* an avenue for appeal because that would definitely be very new for NWSL.

blissett, West Ender and dadman repped this.
  4. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have 4 players on the corner flag...nothing good is ever going to happen there. Get down there and get youself involved. Even if nothing happens deep you still have AR1 to help you on the counter.

Dayton Ref, jayhonk, DefRef and 5 others repped this.
  5. LampLighter

LampLighter Red Card

Bugeaters FC
    Apr 13, 2019
    Get loud too, let them know you're there and to watch the fouls and also keep yelling loudly "SCOREBOARD" if you're a jerk.

6. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Feels strange to see names on these threads that include refs I've worked with.

7. rh89

rh89 Member

Sep 29, 2015
    OR
    I think this is correct! I don't know that VAR sees much differently. What's missed in this video (and I couldn't find a version with a quick search) is that a different Thorns player (Pogarch) quickly rushes in after this video ends and shoves the KC player (Edmonds). To me that is at least a yellow. So I think it's more about the broader extra set of eyes than changing the misconduct Chesky identifies.

8. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    I ran the physical with one of them. I passed, she didn't. And I failed another one of them when helping administer the physical. "just sayin'"

frankieboylampard repped this.
  9. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this has been the case for years and years since I last attended the National Camp.

10. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Shoves" is a bit much, but she does arrive late into the fray in order to make her presence known. If you want to caution her, I would not object, but you still have the rather laughable red to Weaver.

11. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    very borderline yellow for the taunt involving pointing up to the scoreboard...maybe.

12. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    Not for me in a professional game. And, if a guy did it, we wouldn’t even be discussing it.

But, as others have said, get over to the corner, don’t turn your back on those players, keep talking to them, and keep talking to your assistants. You have other eyes that can handle the counter attack for a couple extra seconds. Plus, no harm in blowing for a “foul” going out in that corner at the first hint of contact. It avoids everything you just saw on the video.

rh89, Law5, msilverstein47 and 1 other person repped this.
  13. ref29

ref29 Member

Nov 8, 2010
    I did not see a 2021 MLS thread, so I am asking here: are there any news/movements with respect to the PRO rosters (refs, ARs, VARs) for the upcoming 2021 MLS season?

14. sulfur

sulfur Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    There's actually a full sub-forum for MLS... Maybe start a new thread in there so that people see it who may not see it in the NWSL thread?

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forums/mls-referee-forum.1622/

15. chwmy

chwmy Member+

Feb 27, 2010
    I wish there was a wider shot which shows the ref’s positioning, but the official highlights don’t include this incident at all. There was a clip earlier in the game where 5 players were stuck in the left corner and the ref stayed above the penalty area.

16. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess it all depends on what your definition is of a "violent charge".

Katelyn Best
    @BestKabest

1h
    Got responses from PRO to my pool reporter questions yesterday: “Morgan Weaver was shown a red card for violent conduct and sent off. AR2 informed the referee that after both players got up from the ground and the ball was cleared, Weaver violently charged into the side and back of Edmonds, and Edmonds struck Weaver in the face. AR2 advised the referee that both Weaver and Edmonds should be dismissed for violent conduct.”

IASocFan repped this.
  17. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    jeez, if that’s a violent charge, I’d hate to see a real one.

msilverstein47 repped this.
  18. ref29

ref29 Member

Nov 8, 2010
  19. sulfur

sulfur Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Go into that area and choose "Post New Thread" in the upper right corner.

20. doog

doog Member

Jun 11, 2006
    Here's another angle for the play in question. The footage starts a bit earlier and gives a bit more context to the play. It seems like a foul could have been assessed at the 13 second mark, which would have avoided the red cards altogether. The foul happens as the ball is getting booted away so I'd think someone would have seen it, although once again we don't get to see the referee's position.

21. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jeff Kassouf
    @JeffKassouf

5m
    The [still mostly mysterious] NWSL Disciplinary Committee was very busy after just one weekend. Kristen Edmunds gets a fine and additional game suspension (so 2). Morgan Weaver's red card is repealed.

22. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm so proud of Orlando fans for finally recognizing the severity of fouls involving studs to the knee. They've come so far in four years.

kolabear repped this.
  24. rh89

rh89 Member

Sep 29, 2015
    OR
    04/14/21
    Orlando Pride vs NJ/NY Gotham FC
    Exploria Stadium (7PM ET)
    REF: Natalie Simon
    AR1: Ashlee Varnson
    AR2: Melissa Beck
    4TH: Alexandra Billeter

25. ilyazhito

ilyazhito Member

Manchester United
    Spain
    Feb 9, 2021
    How many of the NWSL officials have FIFA licenses? It would be interesting to see, especially if PRO later decides to use some of them on MLS games.