Numbers/Fax Times

Discussion in 'USA Men: World Cup Fans & Travel' started by Palermo10, Dec 14, 2005.

1. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got confirmation 83xx - arrived at 9:42 on Tuesday UPS

I am screwed badly.

2. Palermo10

Palermo10 Member

Apr 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm not so sure - I'd be willing to say I am 70% certain that the numbers 1000-9999 are ticket numbers.

At 8500 - (7500 tickets), worst case scenario for you they are all in the first phase, do divide that by 3 and you have 2,500 tickets minimum per match. Thats still not quite our allottment for Ghana I believe?

But in reality, many of those 7500 tickets are for the later rounds. Well maybe not many, but say, 300? - Still 2,400 first round tickets per match.

I think you'll be ok.

3. Sagz

Sagz Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Cbus
    Have any of the 9:43 am fedex people got an email yet? Im waiting till noon and probably calling.

4. scottk964

scottk964 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 1, 2004
    Winchester, VA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was a 9:42 fedex and got my confirmation # this morning: 86xx. It was for two tickets to Ghana and two to the round of 16.

5. famdawg

famdawg member at large

Dec 14, 2005
    NY
    >>I'm not so sure - I'd be willing to say I am 70% certain that the numbers 1000-9999 are ticket numbers.

It makes no sense whatsoever that the confirmation numbers are related to the quantity of tickets ordered. They are simply a method to put the orders in their 'first come, first served' queue, so they begin placing the orders (probably after 1/1). The number of tickets available is a fixed number. They will start filling orders and charging credit cards with the orders they have deemed as 'first come'. As credit cards transactions get approved, those tickets will be allocated, and the total number will decrease by that amount. If there's a glaring error on an order form, those orders will probably go unplaced.

6. jaredm

jaredm New Member

Sep 6, 2001
    Philadelphia, PA
    The confirmation number is NOT based on the number of tickets ordered. If so, we'd see a relatively random distribution in the hundreds place of each number. Instead, we see that only these numbers for the first two places have been reported

10, 13
    60, 61
    80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87

So my guess is that they put in confirmation numbers generally based on when the order was received, but they skip a bunch of numbers. For example, the first 100 orders may have been 1001-1099, 2nd 100 orders were 1300-1399, third hundred were 2001-2099, etc. If that's the case, then there have been (at most) about 800 Monday fax orders (10xx, 13xx, 20xx, 30xx, 40xx, 50xx, 60xx, 61xx). Although few are reporting a number in the tens place higher than 5 on the 10xx-60xx numbers (although if someone has a number like that they should post it). If that's the case, then there were probably 500 or so fax orders. So my guess is that they got approx. 500-800 Monday orders.

Tuesday orders (the majority being mail) seem to be getting numbers pretty straightforwardly. If so, then there have been about 6-700 processed mail orders.

That's my guess. As for what this means re: tickets, it depends on a lot of things (how many people were on each application, what games were ordered, what category was ordered, whether you checked off the box saying that you would move up a category, etc.) But this seems like it's a reasonable explanation for the confirmation numbering system.

7. DCM

DCM New Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Takoma Park, MD
    I've said it before and been called names, but show me the letter from US Soccer that says that these confirmation numbers have anything to do with first come-first served. A confirmation number is a not a "date & time received" stamp. It is just an identification number (and an imprecise one, at that), which may not actually correspond with the sequence in which the documents were received---hence the irregularities in your statistical analyses.

The sequence of confirmation numbers may just be coincidental. Or you could have 5 people logging in applications, each person with their own string of confirmation numbers. 1000's for one person, 2000's for another person, etc. There's no guarantee that the confirmation numbers mean anything except that they got your application.

Until someone talks to US Soccer and US Soccer says "if you have a low confirmation number, you're screwed, because we only are giving tickets to confirmation numbers 1000-2000," or something like that, you're probably getting yourself all worked up over nothing. What people should be worried about is whether they got their application in as early as they could---not whether they're 70 percent psychic and can attach some supposed value to these confirmation numbers.

8. Phee

Phee New Member

Jan 25, 2005
    I couldn't agree more. Just got another confirmation for a fedex delivery - 885x.

DCM, if you really believe that this pattern could be coincidence, then I pray for the future of the human race that your genes are never passed on.

9. Etienne_72772

Etienne_72772 Member+

Oct 14, 1999
    Well, I'm worried about that, as well. Believe me, I tried.

10. Palermo10

Palermo10 Member

Apr 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

:confused:

How about instead of telling you what USSF said, (which if you've been around the last 2-3 days you now means absolutely nothing), we show you why exactly it is first-come, first-serve:

# 103x faxed at 12:25pm CT Monday
    # 130x faxed at 1:45pm CT Monday
    # 201x faxed at 3:00pm CT Monday
    # 20xx faxed at 4:05pm CT Monday
    # 30xx faxed at 4:06pm CT Monday
    # 30xx faxed at 4:11pm BTW 2 seats
    # 40xx faxed at 4:15ish Monday
    # 301x faxed at 4:20 CT Monday
    # 10xx faxed at 4:21 CT Monday
    # 40xx faxed at 4:48 p.m CT on Monday.
    # 301x faxed at 5:00pm CT Monday
    # 404x faxed at about 5:10pm Monday
    # 50xx faxed at 5:24pm CT Monday
    # 5xxx faxed at about 6:30pm CT Monday.
    # 402x faxed at 6:50pm CT Monday
    # 20xx faxed at 7:56pm Monday (central?)
    # 600x faxed at 8:33 p.m. CT Monday
    # 60xx faxed at about 9 PM CST Monday
    # 6xxx faxed at 10:30pm Monday
    # 61xx faxed at 11:03 pm CST Monday.
    # 61xx faxed at 11 p.m. CT, Monday
    # 81xx sent via Fedex, arrived about 7am Tuesday
    # 805x sent via Fedex, arrived at 7:09am Tuesday
    # 808x sent via Fedex, arrived at 7:09am Tuesday
    # 82xx sent via FedEx, arrived 7:09am Tuesday
    # 83xx sent via Fedex, arrived 7:09 Tuesday
    # 30xx sent via Fedex, arrived 9:34am Tuesday
    # 20xx sent via UPS, arrived at 9:42 on Tuesday
    # 80xx sent via Fedex, arrived at 9:43am Tuesday
    # 82xx sent via FedEx, arrived at 9:43am Tuesday
    # 83xx sent via FedEx, arrived at 9:43am Tuesday
    # 83xx sent via FedEx, arrived at 9:43am Tuesday
    # 83xx sent via Fedex, arrived at 9:42am Tuesday
    # 86xx sent via Fedex, arrived at 9:42am Tuesday
    # 85xx sent overnight, arrived at 11:46am Tuesday.
    # 885x sent via Fedex, didnt say when arrived

Out of all of these, there are 4 that are grossly out of place, and about 2-3 debateables (move one spot and it is no longer an issue)

Out of 36 entries, 88.9% are in sequential order from the time they were received. Thats coincidence?

I'm willing to believe you, but so far we can't explain why there is 10 and 13, 60 and 61, 8... and all those other 2nd digits, but not for 20-50.

11. jaredm

jaredm New Member

Sep 6, 2001
    Philadelphia, PA
    I have no idea why they chose the numbering system they used...it's very possible that there are some 11xx and 12xx applications out there that haven't been reported. My guess is that at various points in the process, they'd jump to the next group of thousands for confirmation number. Why? I have no clue. But it seems to make sense from the sample that's been reported.

The main reason for posting this idea is so people in the 8xxx don't freak out yet. I would guess that there are about 500-800 applications that got in via fax on Monday. If so, then there are likely still a good number of tickets available for applications that arrived via mail on Tuesday.

12. Palermo10

Palermo10 Member

Apr 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it possible that for every application #, they added the max # of tickets and then gave out the next conf. #?

i.e. 12 first round + 4 round16 + 4 qtrs +4 semis + 4 final = 28

No it is not. I got an odd number. Ok :)

13. lebowski2332

lebowski2332 Member

Dec 14, 2005
    seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fax received at 5:30 CT, Confirm No. 20xx.

14. DCM

DCM New Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Takoma Park, MD
    Sheesh. Nice to meet you, too. :cool:

Yes, I too was stretching it with my "coincidence" argument, but consider my point:

It is not possible to find a connection between (1) a confirmation number and (2) certainty, or even a probability that you'll have a ticket in your hand a couple months from now. The fact remains, you don't know how many tickets are available in total, let alone in each price category. You don't know how many people ordered how many tickets in each price category. You don't know how many people checked the box that says they'll take whatever is available if they don't get their first choice. You don't know whether there are 80, 800, or 8000 confirmation numbers issued so far, because you only personally know of 40 or so. There's a lot you don't know, and because of that, all this analysis of confirmation numbers isn't getting you a whole lot closer to figuring out whether you're going to get a ticket or not.

What led me to respond to this thread is the people saying, "oh, I'm fvcked, my number is 805x!," when none of you have any real reason to believe that you're late to the table. People were all worried about not getting tickets in the Sams Army section for the Mexico match, but how many of the people who responded in a timely fashion---meaning within the first day or two---how many of those people didn't get tickets?

I consider myself to be a big soccer fan, and I know a lot of others who are big fans, but who weren't chomping at the bit for these tickets. I'd be really surprised if, by sending my application UPS and it getting to US Soccer 20 hours after the order form was available, that I was beaten out by 3000 faxes. For one USSF could not have handled that, and for two, there just aren't that many people in line for these tickets. When someone comes out and says "US Soccer got 10,000 applications, and if you got a confirmation with 805x, that means your number 8050 in line"---well then it's pretty unlikely that you're going to get a ticket.

I personally think some of you are all worked up over nothing. I think it makes sense to look at the numbers, but I'm not sure that the way people are looking at them makes sense. That's certainly a reason to wish me not to procreate. Thanks for that, really. :mad:

15. lebowski2332

lebowski2332 Member

Dec 14, 2005
    seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just started a simple poll to ask how many people got their fax through on Monday.

If people respond, it may give a hint of the fax applicant to fed ex applicant ratio among this group.

Vote in the poll and perhaps we can see another trend.

16. Palermo10

Palermo10 Member

Apr 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What we do know of, with what, 88.9% certainty? Is that there is a trend and definite correlation between the time your application was received, and your order number.

That much we know.

What we also know, is that this is first-come, first-serve.

Put those two together, and you have those with lower confirmation numbers having a higher PROBABILITY of receiving tickets.

What we differ on amongst ourselves is what each confirmation number signifies.
    Originally it was thought perhaps applications - but 7500 (8500-1000) applications are far too many.
    Then we thought perhaps it meant tickets - 9000 tickets divided by 3 first round games puts us right about our average allocation per game.

But then what about the 2nd digit? out of the 8 "thousand numbers" , groups 2-5 all have 0 in the 2nd digit. Only with the 8xxx, do we know of 81, 82, 83, etc etc etc.

9000 tickets / avg 2.5 per application = 3600 entries

Possible. There were what, 14,000 US fans at the US-Mexico game? This is the World Cup, and we are pretty good....

From the point of what the confirmation numbers specifically mean we are unsure. But yes they are in order of application received.

17. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    Yanno that is one thing i have to credit in the end... I don't know anyone that got denied for Sam's Army against Mexico.

18. DCM

DCM New Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Takoma Park, MD
    Fair enough.

Yes, this is where it gets sketchy. There are just too many unknowns to do any division yet. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate your effort to do the math, I just think it's all fruitless when we don't really know how many tickets went on sale to the public. They say 8%, but how many of those will stay with USSF or go to sponsors or Dr. Bob's friends and family? No one ever said 8% will actually be made available to the public. They just said FIFA gives 8% to the USSF. We really don't know what we're dealing with...

19. Etienne_72772

Etienne_72772 Member+

Oct 14, 1999
    Confirmation Number 91XX.

Was on the 7:09am FEDEX truck.

20. Isildur981

Isildur981 New Member

Dec 8, 2005
    Jackson, TN
    transmitted 12/12/2005 11:56 PM EST

#62XX

21. DCM

DCM New Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Takoma Park, MD
    Just in:

Confirmation 906x. Mine was on the 9:42 UPS Truck.

22. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Mine was on the same truck and is 897X.

23. Sagz

Sagz Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Cbus
    Has anyone asked what the numbers mean on the phone yet?

And Im really starting to sweat now.

24. J-Justice

J-Justice Member

May 2, 2004
    Osnabrück, Germany
    Club:
    VfL Osnabrück
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    86XX

I'm not sure what time it got there. I sent it overnight with USPS and they said it would be there by noon Tuesday, so my guess is it got there around 11. I waivd the signature because I thought that might speed it up.

25. Etienne_72772

Etienne_72772 Member+

Oct 14, 1999
    No, but I sent an e-mail. Will let you know if I get anything back.