Numancia Logo?

Discussion in 'Spain: Clubs' started by albionroad, Jun 17, 2008.

1. albionroad

albionroad Member

Aug 26, 2002
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hello. Can anyone help me figure out what the Numancia logo is supposed to be displaying? Here's a look at it...

[​IMG]

It's similar enough to the coat of arms of the city of Soria that it *might* be it but it's different enough that I don't really think it is. Any help is much appreciated.

2. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. albionroad

albionroad Member

Aug 26, 2002
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks a lot Reignking. I have received several other suggestions from other people and I'm now thoroughly confused. Someone has tried to get in touch with the club to get a definitive answer but hasn't received a response yet. If they do reply I'll post it here.

4. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Best I can do...interesting threads you've started, though. I lived in Spain 5 years ago, so I try to follow La Liga the best that I can, but there are things that are always lost in translation.

Here's a better-looking logo from their web site:
    [​IMG]

5. albionroad

albionroad Member

Aug 26, 2002
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks. That's a strange little figurehead at the top, no? Very interesting....

Where in Spain did you live?

6. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, that thing that looks like a person with a crown is throwing me off...

Barcelona for a few weeks, then Madrid for six months. I remember driving by an exit for Soria on the way to Pamplona (5 years this week, in fact, during San Fermin) and wondering how a remote town could support a team. It is even smaller than Villarreal.

7. albionroad

albionroad Member

Aug 26, 2002
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I posted something on the message board at the club's official site. I received the following response...

Casi todas las ciudades castellanas (entre ellas por supuesto Soria) incluyen el castillo dentro de su escudo, por ser representativo de Castilla y León, como lo pueden ser los horrios de galicia o los molinos de la Mancha. Por eso sale el castillo también en el escudo del club, representante deportivo de nuestra capital. En cuanto al tipo que está encima del castillo es el rey Alonso VIII de Castilla, que siendo niño fue defendido por los sorianos de un familiar suyo rey de otro reino. Como premio cuando fue mayor nos dotó de ciertos privilegios y por eso se le tiene buen recuerdo aquí.

My Spanish isn't so great but I believe it basically translates as

Almost every Castillian city (including Soria) includes a castle in their coat of arms to represent themselves as part of Castille and Leon, similar to the horrios (???) in Galicia or the mills in La Mancha. Because of this the castle is also in the club's emblem as the club is the sports representative of the city. At the top of the castle is Alfonso VIII of Castilia who as a boy was defended by the inhabitants of the city. When he was older the king rewarded the city with certain privileges and because of this he is well regarded in Soria.

Still not sure if the castle is a specific castle in Soria or just a kind of generic castle.