NUFC Introductions Thread

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Toon³, Jul 15, 2005.

1. Fat Dutchman

Fat Dutchman Member

Jul 15, 2003
    Red Lion, Aberdeen
    I suppose I'll get this thread back on track. I, like Geordienation, played a bit of football as a kid, and I also played other sports and football slipped down the pecking order, especially since there really was not much on tv. However, WC 1994 awakened my football interest and a year or two later was watching weekly Premiership matches on ESPN2. It was the second 4-3 Liverpool match where I fell in love with the club. I know it sounds odd, but I was impressed with the way the team came back and was quite gutted when Fowler scored the winner.
    I've seen the lads in person a couple of times, once when they were in Columbus (which was a great time drinking pre-match with fellow supporters and I got my picture with the lads who do NUFC.com) and the other time was this last January at West Brom. It was a bore draw, but I was just two sections away from where the Geordies were being housed and it was great fun, though I had to watch how I reacted... Once I finish law school, I'm hoping to make the pilgrimage to the Holy land, St. James' Park and to visit the Quayside cause I hear it's good craic.

I hope Toon Toon's offer is still on the table :D

2. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC

Indeed it is but it depends on how long it takes you to finish law school ;)

The quayside sucks balls i'll show where all the cool kids hang out :D

3. Fat Dutchman

Fat Dutchman Member

Jul 15, 2003
    Red Lion, Aberdeen
    I hopefully should be done in a couple of years....blimey, you're up quite late or should I say quite early.

4. Fat Dutchman

Fat Dutchman Member

Jul 15, 2003
    Red Lion, Aberdeen
    I'll also have to change my itinerary, now knowing that the Quay is not the happening spot. ;) :D

5. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Well who knows where i'll be in a couple of years....coffee and weed are a terrible mix.

The quayside is alright, if you want to get ripped off and listen to "crap" music..

6. Ramzi

Ramzi New Member

Jun 7, 2005
    Newcastle
    So where's that then? Please don't say the Bigg Market :eek:

7. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    pffft No :rolleyes:

Foundation, stereo, popolo and The Chillingham

8. tino11

tino11 New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Karlsruhe - Germany
    Foundation - agree, best club in town [Quayside]
    Stereo - nice bar [Quayside]
    Popolo - nice bar
    The Chillingham - are you having a giraffe?

:rolleyes:

9. colinh9

colinh9 New Member

Apr 26, 2003
    NY
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Well let's see I've been playing ever since I could walk, and was raised on football. I've always had a huge passion for the game. Around Euro 96 is when I really started to follow football(I was 8.) So of course, my favorite player was Shearer, and as he came to NUFC, they became my favorite club. I've followed them ever sicne, obviously with growing love as the years went on.

10. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC

Foundation and Stereo arn't the quayside Foundation is near Manors and Stereo is too far down for the Quayside.

The Chillingham is a quality bar...good live music....just cos it's in the Heaton Ghetto :D

All the pubs on the Ouseburn are quality pubs

11. tino11

tino11 New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Karlsruhe - Germany
    I like the Tyne the best, used to be my local when I was living in St. Peters Basin ;)

Stereo is the Quayside!

12. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    No it's not :D

13. KaptPowers

KaptPowers Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hello fellow supporters of the Toon!

I got in this team and the sport ten years ago when I was visiting my uncle in Florida. His next door neighbors, Geordies, had just installed a satellite and invited us over for a barbeque. Every friggin' Newcastle fan in the Southeastern US must've been there, easily 50-60 people. I cannot recall, to my shame, who we played but I fell in love with the passion and dedication shown. I had never really been interested with so...er, football prior but they definitely got me into it. Went out and bought my NUFC shirt the very next day at an Adidas store (training shirt with Brown Ale as the sponsors). I've been NUFC-mad ever since. Being a Boston Red Sox fan in baseball I could relate to the long-title drought coupled with insane devotion.

I haven't made my pilgrimage to SJP yet, and I stress yet. Wearing my team shirt has made me friends across America and when I was in London I was put up for a night by a fellow Tooner when my hotel "reservations" went south.

I saw Stiff Little Fingers here in Boston last year and while Jake Burns was discussing the Super Bowl Champion New England Patriots he said something like "MY football team on the other hand, Newcastle United are wonderful but always break your heart." I raised my scarf, he pointed me out and said "as that man bloody well knows! Brilliant!"

My friends kinda look at me funny when during lulls in conversation I'll sing quietly "Have you ever seen a Mackem in Milan" or when I laugh and say "Peter Reid" anytime a primate is either on television, comes up in conversation, and forget when I'm at a zoo....

NUFC 'til I die, baby.

14. toon_soldier_86

toon_soldier_86 New Member

Jul 21, 2005
    THE BAY
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Northern Ireland
    started watching fox soccer channel last november and i was total drawn to nufc. not sure y. maybe its the ultra cool black and white home kit. Loved craig B. but then he had a fit. I guess i was born to like nufc. im a soldier 4 life.... :D

15. PoshSpur

PoshSpur New Member

Jan 28, 2005
    New York
    Introduction to Newcastle:

NUFC have the best fans in the league. But unfortunately they are also the most delusioned fans in the Premiership.

They have the worst chairman in the Premiership. He appointed Souness. Enough said on that point, which, leads us comfortably into the final and funniest point of all;

They have the worst manager on planet earth in Graeme Souness.

Don't take my word for it. Come back to the Newcastle forum board in 2 months and you will see threads created saying;

Who shall we get in as our new manager?

Oh yeah, NUFC haven't won anything in 50 years, but the fans say that they are a massive club. Fair enough. They are a massive club in Newcastle. But ask yourself why?

16. StillerFan

StillerFan New Member

Nov 25, 2004
    Alexandria, VA
    Hi there,

Started following football in the early 90's. I was in the US Air Force stationed in the UK (RAF Croughton, in Oxfordshire). It was obviously hard to follow the brand of football(or baseball, hockey, etc) that I liked (the american kind ;) ), so I followed what the rest of the world calls football. There was no shortage of coverage in the UK. I starting following Newcastle U. for the most mundane of reasons. I was born and raised in Newcastle. Make that New Castle. It's in Pennsylvania. Silly reason, I know. Made sense at the time. I recently upgraded my cable so I'll be able to follow the EPL a lot closer this year (Fox Soccer Channel). I was using the internet before to track NUFC. I never made it to Newcastle when I was in the UK though I did visit a town to the north of it, Berwick-upon-Tweed. I think thats the name of the town. The ole brain is a little fuzzy after 15 years.
    :D

17. PoshSpur

PoshSpur New Member

Jan 28, 2005
    New York
    They are a great club. It's just that I hate Souness and as he's at Newcastle, I sometimes (always) go off on a bender.

18. PoshSpur

PoshSpur New Member

Jan 28, 2005
    New York
    I'm sorry, but what was the point of all that?

19. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Sqweesing the last drops of glory from the withered orange that is NUFC.

20. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Also showing how ridiculous the IFSS site is.

21. PoshSpur

PoshSpur New Member

Jan 28, 2005
    New York
  22. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Is the all the NUFC fans that are on here. It's a sad day. :(

23. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    I am the new mod for the Newcastle forum. Any questions about his forum or Bigsoccer in general just PM me.

**End Transmission**

24. Zaphkiel

Zaphkiel Self-hating Asian

Mar 3, 2005
    ZOMG NONE!!!11
    Toon, we're a small bigsoccer community.

Hell, tottenham has more supporters than us.

But....I guess I'll make a more consious ever to come to this board...

25. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    You better! :D