NUFC Introductions Thread

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Toon³, Jul 15, 2005.

1. mplsTOON

mplsTOON Member

Apr 25, 2006
    @ St James Park
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Re: New Fan

*snickers...*

2. sweeten2213

sweeten2213 Member

May 9, 2007
    USA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

With Milner being as highly thought of, I'm surprised a place wouldn't have been found. Would that be where Solano as a RB would come in (with Milner as a RM)? Was Emre usually used as an attacking Mid with Parker/Butt as a Def Mid? I also noticed Babayaro didn't play much - I'm assuming he was hurt? Or was it lack of solid play that had him out of the lineup?

3. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I reckon Babayaro is just about the worst defender we've ever had.

4. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005

*clears throat*

"Mr. Jean-Alain Boumsong please pick up the white courtesy phone."

5. JaredSS07

JaredSS07 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 6, 2005
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Solano came in as RB once Carr was out for awhile. It opened up a spot for Milner at RM, but when given the choice between Solano or Milner at RM, Roeder chose Solano. Emre was attacking with Parker/Butt defending. Babayaro was out in Jan and March, but played in 20 games. I don't think he has every played solid in his career.

6. Michigan Toon

Michigan Toon New Member

Jun 27, 2007
    Michigan
    Hey guys, I am newer fan. I started following Newcastle at the start of this past year. I am 23 and a law school student here in Michigan. I got into soccer while I was backpacking Europe in 2002. I was in Barcelona during the 2002 World Cup and really enjoyed watching it. I really didn’t get interested in or know what it the EPL was until 2004. My brother was in the Peace Corp and spent almost 3 years in Namibia, Africa. Since he only got the BBC there he got into soccer and became a Chelsea fan. He got me hooked on it and I started to watch and cheer for Chelsea (my heart was never really in it). I just didn’t like Chelsea. So, I read an article written by Bill Simmons of ESPN .com in which he decided to pick an EPL team and he broke them all down from. He picked Tottenham, but I didn’t like them either. I read about Newcastle and was instantly hooked. Here in the states I am a huge Michigan Wolverine and Detroit Tigers fan, so tradition is really important to me, so Newcastle seemed to fit well. So since then I started watching and don’t regret my decision and never will. Just wanted to introduce myself and hope to learn a lot about the club.

7. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welcome, welcome. Some will tell you get out while you still can, but if you want tradition you'd be hard pressed to find a club with more of it. Even if we've won feck all in 50-odd years. :eek:

8. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    It's only been 38 years

9. JaredSS07

JaredSS07 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 6, 2005
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    May I remind you of a little thing we call the Intertoto?

10. Nookie Brown

Nookie Brown Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Virginia
    Don't forget Division One Champs '92-'93.

While I'm at it, here's my short story. Very similar to Michigan Toon, I am very new to the world of soccer. I got really into it during last year's World Cup and kept following it thereafter. I actually thought I was going to be an Arsenal fan (cool name for a club), but got sold on the Toon when Damien Duff was purchased and stated that Newcastle was the most passionate place in England to play football. As a lifelong Cubs fan, Newcastle was a natural fit - big market club with pedigree, an intensely loyal fan base, but a long history of bad luck.

That's pretty much it. I remember sitting in an Irish pub in midtown Manhattan on November 4 watching us lose to Sheffield United, thinking "yep, this club was the right choice."

11. mplsTOON

mplsTOON Member

Apr 25, 2006
    @ St James Park
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    ..and said truthfully without a bit of regret or irony, yeh?

You'll do well here. :D

12. Trackman20

Trackman20 Member

May 14, 2003
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We need less Cub fans attaching themselves to Newcastle! haha

13. NUFCBayern

NUFCBayern Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 9, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Amen.

howay the southsiders

14. NoodlesMacintosh

NoodlesMacintosh New Member

Aug 24, 2004
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I'm a Niners fan, so maybe I can bring in some of their historical mojo.

I've been watching the EPL for a few years now, but I hadn't been able to settle on a team until recently. I don't like following teams just for their players, especially Americans abroad; crap like would've gotten me following Fulham, and then I would've had to shoot myself. I don't like bandwagon fans; I was born into being a Niners fan, and seeing people jump on their bandwagon as a child made me sick. Over the past few years, I've simply come to enjoy watching Newcastle more and more, even when they lose, even when they play poorly. I'll watch it all the same. I don't know how else to explain it. I like the kits. I like the stadium. I love the crowd noises. I don't know how else to say it. It feels good.

And then there's the little exchange I had today with the guy at the local soccer store in Salt Lake when I tried to buy a Newcastle scarf:

Me: "How much does this scarf cost?"
    Store Owner: "Are you a Newcastle fan?"
    Me: "I'm afraid so."
    Store Owner: "1000 dollars."
    Me: "No, seriously."
    Store Owner: "Newcastle fans cause extra trouble, so we charge them more to compensate."
    Me: "I just wanna buy the scarf."
    Store Owner: "Okay, fine. 23 dollars."
    Me: "Can I pay part with cash, and part with a debit card?"
    Store Owner: "Freaking Newcastle fans!"

He was joking around, but I still thought it was funny he'd have that kind of reaction at all. It makes me want to wear the scarf at all times just to provoke reactions out of people.

So yeah. Considering my viewing options (essentially being at the mercy of FSC's weekly schedule), I think I'm going to be leaning on this board to help me understand the team's ins and outs. I hope you'll be patient with me, because I'm here for the long haul, however long that is.

15. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welcome, welcome. We have more than our fair share of patient and knowledgeable fans who contribute on the board. Some of us are loose cannons, naturally, but only on those truly deserving. :D

As always, if you have a question about the city of Newcastle-upon-Tyne, I recommend you shoot Toon3 (the three is an exponent) a PM, as he is our resident Toon expert. Otherwise there are some contributors from Newcastle, others from Europe, the States and parts unknown.

Oh, and...the Niners suck.

16. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nooooooooooooooods!

17. worldfootballgenius

New York Red Bulls
    United States
    Jul 9, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any Newcastle Fans in Greensboro, NC?

According the the FSC pubs guide, this bar:

Keegan's Pub & Grill
    2506 Battleground Ave.
    Greensboro, NC

Is where Newcastle united fans get together to watch Newcastle games. Just wondering if there are any Newcastle fans on Bigsoccer that live in Greensboro, NC. Please chime in!

18. JaredSS07

JaredSS07 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 6, 2005
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have had lots of people stop me in airports because of my scarf or jersey. The scarf has gotten me more free beers than anything else and since you rarely see a non-Newcastle fan wearing the shirt, unlike ManU or Chelsea, there is a sense of comraderie.

19. Trackman20

Trackman20 Member

May 14, 2003
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's funny Jared....

I ran into some geordies at Corbys probably 4 years ago....I was wearing the old "NTL" Shearer Jersey.....and these guys just came over to take a picture with me, but never bought me and drinks. Bastards.

20. NUFCBayern

NUFCBayern Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 9, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Re: Any Newcastle Fans in Greensboro, NC?

Damn it, if I knew about this when I was at school, I would've been there all the time!

21. Toon16

Toon16 Member

Jul 25, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Newcastle fan from Michigan. I'm a member of the Toon Army USA, favorite players probally Milner. Can't wait for the season to get going.

Go Magpies!

22. Trackman20

Trackman20 Member

May 14, 2003
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welcome Toon16

23. Toon16

Toon16 Member

Jul 25, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks, can't wait to talk Newcastle with you guys.

24. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Hi All.
    Born & raised in St. Louis, MO - so I've been surrounded by soccer my entire life. I started playing at age 5 (1976). St. Louis was always the soccer capital of the USA (when I was a kid). All we did was play soccer - I didn't know anyone growing up that had a basketball hoop. :D

Became a Newcastle fan in 1992 -1993 when they were promoted. -sorry, couldn't get any First Division coverage in the USA at that time.

Newcastle drew my attention with their attacking style.
    I've always hated Man U - it's like being a Yankees fan.

With the collapse of the 95-96 season I actually experienced physical pain. It was at that time I knew I was definitely a Newcastle fan for life.

I louve it ... louve it.

25. Trackman20

Trackman20 Member

May 14, 2003
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You'll fit in nicely here haha