NSR: The NFL is becoming like European soccer!

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Flyin Ryan, Dec 18, 2005.

1. Flyin Ryan

Flyin Ryan Member

May 13, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. krayzie

krayzie BigSoccer Yellow Card

Dec 13, 2003
    Paris, France
    Mmmhh... Oh really ??

Did they boo the black players, insult the referee or even drop some flames on the pitch ??

3. ossieend

ossieend New Member

Apr 3, 2005
    derby u.k.
    O.K. we maybe insult the ref. but in our part of Europe booing the black players doesn't happen anymore or if it does it's very rare and as for the flames......we don't do that either.

4. krayzie

Dec 13, 2003
    Paris, France
    Yep, I know...
    British people prefer insulting the Pakistani people... different kind of taste probably...

5. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    This used to happen a lot more often in the NFL. Before revenue sharing, there were some teams that were bad for decades. The Lions have been horrid under Millen. He should get fired.

People do take other sports seriously in the US. Remember when the fans in Philly cheered when Michael Irving was laying motionless on the field? How about those riots after those Bulls championships?

6. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    A group of bad seeds at an eagles game once gave a player on the opposing team a hard time because his newborn son died that week. That's at least as classless as yelling racial slurs or monkey noises at players.

There's bad people everywhere.

7. Scoobs

Scoobs New Member

Aug 18, 2005
    Apples and oranges.

8. ossieend

ossieend New Member

Apr 3, 2005
    derby u.k.
    Again that's a generalisation, and one which you can't include me in. I work, and have done for nearly twenty four years in a cable factory in Derby. I'd guess that a good thirty per cent of the work force have Indian or Pakistani backgrounds. Yes, I've fallen out with and dislike some of them just like with other white English people, but several are among the best people I've ever had the pleasure to meet.

9. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Fire Crown 4 Life (or until they change it again)
    Jan 9, 2004
    Soldier Field Media Deck. First Row.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    "NSR" sums this up nicely

although my friends and I have been having a contest to find the most best places to find "fire millen" signs. So far the Grand Valley State D2 national title game is the best we've found.

10. Michael CM1

Michael CM1 New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Atlanta, Georgia: US
    When someone throws a flaming bag of urine at Daunte Culpepper THEN it'll be like the EPL. If they throw it at an arabic player, then it would be like an Australian league.

11. Flyin Ryan

Flyin Ryan Member

May 13, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe I should've said English.

But when was the last time you saw an American team's fanbase call for the head of the GM (that wasn't a coach) or the ownership to sell and they had 1000 march?

12. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    that's cos EPL is slowly turning into American baseball atmosphere :D

13. ossieend

ossieend New Member

Apr 3, 2005
    derby u.k.
    Well, I note the smiley on your post, but you could have a point. Since the introduction of all seater stadia it's a lot more genteel in the stands than in the old days. Don't get me wrong, the old racist noises and banana throwing incidents were disgusting, but there was something about a freezing winters night on the popside or in the stand that gave me my screen name. I can tell you, you weren't freezing for long as you were pushed down the terrace, then you made your way back up again, then there was the side to side movement and bobbing and weaving as you tried to see past the tall guys in front of you, there were the chants were everyone jumped up and down, then the outburst of noise and movement in celebration of another Charlie George howitzer hitting the back of the net.

14. REMOVED

REMOVED New Member

Jul 22, 2004
    The fact that nearly 100% of all NFL STARTERS are African , is de facto evidence that there is reverse discrimination. I prefer sports that allow all races to participate.

15. krayzie

Dec 13, 2003
    Paris, France
    WTF ??? Most NFL players are black because they are the best ... nothing at all...

what a lame argument...

16. metrocorazon

metrocorazon Member

May 14, 2000
    I think its safe to say that 90% of them aren't african. Just like 90% of the white people in the NFL arent European. And to tell you the truth the NFL is pretty even with races.

I give you one team as an example: NY Giants

4/5 of their line is white, all of their quaterbacks are white, their tight end is white, their full back is white, 1/2 of the linebacking core is white, kickers are white. The only place where they dont have atleast 1/2 white people in is in DB and WR.

17. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I know what you mean. On the Tampa Bay Bucs, there are a couple of Nigerian linebackers who insist on calling out the defensive signals in the Ibo dialect, but that pissed off the strong safety because he's a Zulu, and then you get the Angolan guys on the defensive line who only speak Portuguese, and no one knows what's going on. Meanwhile, the white Nose Tackle out there is Afrikaans and speaks this really weird dialect of Dutch that literally no one has a clue what he's saying.

No wonder they got their asses handed to them by the Patriots this weekend

18. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL

Either way, you're still talking fruit.

19. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I'd go to lower leagues in England for atmosphere over EPL any day :) But at this point I'd go to score other countries for footie atmosphere before England.

20. brianzappa

brianzappa Member

Oct 21, 2003
    In a big country
    There's a Detroit Lions? How about that?

21. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA

guess you don't know much about Penn State, where they had ********ing petitions going around ot fire Joe Paterno.

22. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The two champs of suckatude in the NFL in the 70's and 80's (2 decades)

The 'Aints and the Yucs. Make this fire Millian thing look like paradise.