NSR Netherlands: Current events (in the world).

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by DRB300, Nov 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Appeasement wont work, DRB. Just as it didnt work with the Nazis. Only thing they understand is BRUTE FORCE!!

You'll see, terrorism will just keep getting worse and worse. They dont want peace, they want to convert entire world into Islam

2. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Explain..

DRB300 repped this.
  3. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    [​IMG]

Acceding to their demands? My critique on Islam is one from the left, not the right. Many people on the left have made a great mistake. Rather than defending liberal values, they have started to defend all groups that they see as "victims" and turned a blind eye to what some of those so called "oppressed" groups hold on to. That resulted in this hilarious situation where regressive left liberals are defending theocratic people who if they get any power, would start to reverse their own exact work. Yes that is a form of appeasement or actually idiocy. You need to be tolerant to the tolerant, but intolerant for the intolerant.

[​IMG]

This is why I posted this tweet in this forum:

665641605618139136 is not a valid tweet id

That is not appeasing, that is standing by my principals, also if it concerns a minority in our society who has it maybe tough now, or tougher. I reach out my hand, but I am clear. Any intolerance in their values is not tolerated by me and is something we have to really start debating about. We need to start to talk about values. That is one process. The other one is a form of activism where we enter more Socratic conversations and really challenge certainty. This literalism, certainly and insistence on being 100% right needs to be challenged. I encourage you to watch this video"

Read on that guy and buy his book that he just wrote with Sam Harris. He is I think also an adviser of David Cameron who has developed a strategy this year I think to battle Islamism. Any form of intolerance, any form of wanting to impose religion on society, let alone endangering secular society needs to be battled by a counter narrative.

4. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Who do you think I meant??

5. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Wahhabism is programming of people. If you use bombs or as you suggest even bigger bombs, then they use that and convince even more people. You need a counter narrative and a movement to deprogram people. There is a battle of ideas going on and that can only be won by better ideas+activism+better communication.

6. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Nope, wont work. Thats not how Bush defeated Al Queda either, he used military force.

You cannot reason with people who want to convert entire world into Islam by beheading people, burning them alive and running tanks over them

7. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    They are defeated? Can I see a source?

So it is difficult to pinpoint your stance. The picture you posted spoke about "the Muslim world", we are now back to terrorist organisations?

Let's take that as your point moving forward.

No, conversation with the true terrorists who want to blow things up, will almost never come back. Once they are in that stage and commit actions that go with it, things are too late. Yes, there we have to use force, but surgical. Why would we risk killing any innocent life? On the contrary. Our values forbid us that to do. I would even say, the more surgical and tailor made our response, the more we act according to our humanist values. Your proposals make us look more and more like them. The people you say to hate.

However and I say this for the tenth time now. This is just the top layer of a much bigger monster. ISIS today, x,y,z tomorrow. Wipe out one, another pops ups. They are all over the world. Go to wiki and you find dozens and dozens of Muslim extremist organisations and they attack all kinds of countries. What feeds this is Wahhabism. What feeds this is what KSA exports. Their second main export product. Their first one poisons our climate, the second one our social climate. They subsidies schools all over the world (madrassas) and mosques and what not. All programming institutions. They are building a Muslim robot army across many borders, that can radicalize very easily. That is what you need to attack. First by cutting off all their money lines to subsidies their initiatives and create a movement that counters that narrative. Both moderate Muslims need to do this and non Muslims. This is also good in the end for Dutch people. This curveball that is being thrown at us, forces us to understand better who we are and what we stand for and how defend it not only with weapons, but also with words. It will make us stronger in the end and will develop us.

8. Oranje Leeuwen

Aug 15, 2013
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Bush certainly did not defeat Al Qaeda. The US military didn't withdrawal from Iraq until 2011, they were fighting a war that they couldn't win against an enemy that has an unlimited number of recruits. You can't defeat ideas with bombs and more violence, that only fuels their cause as DRB mentioned. The actions in Iraq only gave more power to ISIS, just increased their recruitment and now look at them.

9. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I meant Al Queda was defeated in Afghanistan with brute force.

There might be very small remnants left, but for the most part they are gone there

10. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Source?

11. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  12. Dutch Treat

Dutch Treat Member

May 6, 2005
    Amsterdam|Alphen a/d Rijn
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    It appears that ISIS is waiting on a prophecy to be fulfilled at Dabiq region. A massive battle which would be the beginning of the apocalypse :

"The Islamic State has attached great importance to the Syrian city of Dabiq, near Aleppo. It named its propaganda magazine after the town, and celebrated madly when (at great cost) it conquered Dabiq’s strategically unimportant plains. It is here, the Prophet reportedly said, that the armies of Rome will set up their camp. The armies of Islam will meet them, and Dabiq will be Rome’s Waterloo or its Antietam.
    “Dabiq is basically all farmland,” one Islamic State supporter recently tweeted. “You could imagine large battles taking place there.” The Islamic State’s propagandists drool with anticipation of this event, and constantly imply that it will come soon. The state’s magazine quotes Zarqawi as saying, “The spark has been lit here in Iraq, and its heat will continue to intensify … until it burns the crusader armies in Dabiq.” A recent propaganda video shows clips from Hollywood war movies set in medieval times—perhaps because many of the prophecies specify that the armies will be on horseback or carrying ancient weapons.

Now that it has taken Dabiq, the Islamic State awaits the arrival of an enemy army there, whose defeat will initiate the countdown to the apocalypse. Western media frequently miss references to Dabiq in the Islamic State’s videos, and focus instead on lurid scenes of beheading. “Here we are, burying the first American crusader in Dabiq, eagerly waiting for the remainder of your armies to arrive,”said a masked executioner in a November video, showing the severed head of Peter (Abdul Rahman) Kassig, the aid worker who’d been held captive for more than a year. During fighting in Iraq in December, after mujahideen (perhaps inaccurately) reported having seen American soldiers in battle, Islamic State Twitter accounts erupted in spasms of pleasure, like overenthusiastic hosts or hostesses upon the arrival of the first guests at a party.

Maybe we should skip the bombing and send a large coalition army and settle this once and for all. They seem convinced that they will win simply because it was written so. If they lose, their faith will be on an all time low.

Got this from http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/03/what-isis-really-wants/384980/?utm_source=SFFB
    Good read.

13. Sybe Pals

Sybe Pals Member

Oct 13, 2015
    Comox, BC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Cheers all, I've been reading here just a few months, created a profile to post about our beloved Oranje awhile ago, and it turns out this is my first post, hah - figures it's not even about footie at all, my reason for being here in the first place!

Thanks DRB for creating a place here where we can share conversations like this. As you say "There is a battle of ideas going on and that can only be won by better ideas + activism + better communication."
    Great to see that most people here seem to come together to engage with openness, with obvious concentration on finding a solution and honest searching for understanding.

I saw this clip going around.. and based on some of the things all you guys have said here already, I'm curious to know what you all think about it:

http://mobile.news.com.au/entertain...-calls-them-weak/story-fn948wjf-1227611388541

And something else maybe we all agree on:

Peace

14. curbo

curbo Member

Apr 14, 2012
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    About the first link with waleed aly, he mentions the army of Isis, how they want people to fear it and so they ?hide? that they have mostly meaningless territories taked from weak opponents are are pinned down by airstrikes. But does anyone fear the army part of Isis? Genuinely asking, because what I fear is not the army component and traditional warfare, but the fact that the army members become terrorists. And 20-25k or how much they really have nowadays, thats a huge number of potential/likely combat trained terrorists.
    The other thing about the same clip, judging an organisation and their reasons based on what they themselves say in the ''monthly newsletter'' is very weird. Claiming knowledge, ''we know this to be true because they themselves have said it'', is a bit crazy.
    Thirdly about the same clip is what i've been repeating myself about, fundamentalism in religions. The woman equates Islam to fundamentalistic Islam, and a morally bad version kind at that. Not only is she wrong, but as waleed rightly says its completely counterproductive.
    John Oliver is funny, but theres not much of huge interest to say about the clip. Apart that clearly the use of profanitys doesnt neccersarily mean bad language, sometimes they are the only words to accurately emotionally describe your feelings.

15. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

Cheers and welcome. Look forward to future discussions about the beautiful game.

I think the issue for me happens right at the end of the video. It is again this evading of the issue. Again we do not get to the issue as we have to come together, as otherwise we do what ISIS wants us to do. What I have a problem with in this video is that opposition of the other is all hate. There is initiation hate and there is response hate. That women at the end is against Muslims in her country as there is scripture that is not nice towards non Muslims. However there is also not nice scripture in the Bible and look at us now. However that has cost us a lot to establish. The people believing that book had quite outspoken opinions about certain minorities. They followed scripture and as a result of that they excluded others. I find that initiation hate. There is nothing what a gay person did to them. There are not gay suicide bombers wanting to force people to have sex with gay men. Or to marry them. Or to also become gay. Or whatever. It is hate towards them without any reason, except what their fairy tale book tells them about them and those are discriminating and demonizing things and as a result they have treated them as they have.

Muslims follow a religion that is also full of discrimination towards others an minorities:

http://memd.cf/100ReasonsILeftIslam.html#h.jsv1s5fdvczo

This is all initiation hate. The Islam existed many, many centuries before that women in the video existed. Before a Wilders was born. They look at Muslims and feel threatened. They look at Muslim countries and do not like what they see. Their rejection of Muslims is response hate and this distinction matters. If people want to demonize the response haters, they have to come with facts. They must point out that the women in the video is lying. That can easily be done by showing clear evidence that Muslims when they are in a majority, treat minorities equal and let them live in freedom (especially grand them freedom of expression). Why? Well if that is not the case, then things depend on control and power and are not intrinsically motivated. I have looked at these things. I have looked at the freedom levels in Muslim countries:

* https://freedomhouse.org/report/freedom-world/freedom-world-2015#.VVsJFfmqqko

I have looked at Freedom of thought levels:

* http://freethoughtreport.com/download-the-report/

I have looked at equality reports:

* http://eclj.org/UN/

I have looked at laws:

* http://www.loc.gov/law/help/apostasy/index.php

I have looked at pages of polling data from PEW, for example:

[​IMG]

I look at trends like the one in Turkey that is interesting for 2 reasons. It is known to be a secular country and many Turks live in the Netherlands. If we look at Turkey things go very bad:

* https://freedomhouse.org/report/freedom-world/2015/turkey

Read the report and I notice a lot of -1 and -2 notations for just 2015. I also watched this video:

Now I watched how many Dutch Turks voted on that creep that is this enemy of freedom and secularism:

* http://secim.aa.com.tr/YurtDisiENG.html

[​IMG]

This was from earlier this year, not the latest election, but since he even gained, it will not be much different, maybe more. Turns out that 70% are voting here for that Putin. For a man that is putting more journalists in jail than almost any other country and is moving to some kind of theocracy. Yes, he is a huge threat for freedom and so people who vote for him are that too and they live here.

If I look at scripture, if I look at at certain videos:

If I look at polls, If I look at laws in Muslim countries, if I look at punishments, If I look at anything, where do Muslims when they have power, not discriminate/suppress minorities and non Muslims? Where does equality and freedom rises in a Muslim country? Where does the condition for minorities improve? That is my question.

So to me, there is initiation hate and response hate. If the facts tell different that the response haters tell us, then yes they are lying and should be called out. If not, then that needs to be acknowledged by all people, from left to right. Then it remains up to people what the solution is in that case, but we need to operate on basis of what the reality is.

So the man in the video is the past IMO. It is time for clarity (what are the exact and relevant facts?) and a debate about values that can follow from it.

Also a man of the past on this issue IMO. Him and John Steward have been weak, coward and political correct on the Muslim issue. They are regressive left people and what he does here is an open door. As I said previously in this thread. The left has made a huge mistake. Many people have bought into the idea that they need to protect all minorities that they see as oppressed/getting stick, rather than standing for their liberal values. That is now a huge divide on the left. Bill Maher (a liberal, just like me) gets it:

16. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Agree 100%. Their army is a joke to (if we talk about existential levels) me if we are talking about conventional warfare where they would engage us on a classical battlefield. They will be wiped out before breakfast. What is not a joke to me in the slightest is if that army goes into stealth mode and starts to blend into Europe. We see what they can do if they do that.

Agree.

I think this is where we have to discover each others ideas more in the future. I am still not able to tell myself exactly what you are saying, though you have been quite clear already. Are you saying that all this violence and such is the result exclusively of people using religion as a vessel to justify what they already want, or do you also leave open the possibility that people that otherwise would have been perfect productive members of society by just following scripture come to spread terror?

So in short, people inject into scripture (as a result of emotion) exclusively, or they take also away and go do crazy extremist stuff, while otherwise they would not?

17. #67 feyenoordsoccerfan, Nov 17, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
    http://www.rijnmond.nl/nieuws/16-11-2015/aboutaleb-terroristen-zijn-harteloze-leeghoofden

By the way DRB300, you keep calling names toward people that are not following your opinions to the letter by calling them cowards, political correct, left or dumb etc. In my opinion you are only a soft variant of the fanatic lunies, that condemn everything not exactly in line with what they believe. The only difference between you and them is that they are willing to kill those they demonize and you say you arenot willing to do so, but keep it by words. But still by using those words you demonize people that only differ in opinion or stance with you.

Brilliant Dutch repped this.
  18. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Quoted for truth.

Dutch Treat and Orange14 are even worse. Toe the line and agree with what I say or I'll leave the debate and demand you be banned from BS.

This is not how debates are supposed to go.

I realize my nuke option is extreme, and I would prefer conventional weapons (like carpet-bombing) be used first. But nukes is something that needs to be considered, especially if/when terrorist upgrade towards chemical or biological warfare, something they thankfully havent done YET!!

19. Dutch Treat

Dutch Treat Member

May 6, 2005
    Amsterdam|Alphen a/d Rijn
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Show me where I did such a thing, please. Or are you mad because I said "That explains a lot" when you posted you rate Bill O'Reilly in the other thread? You responded with me being an obsessed lefty.
    This is the only "real discussion" we had after your remark of letting in backward religious refugees.

So, again... Show me how I am even worse than what feyenoordsoccerfan said in his post. Unlike you, I didn't call anyone an idiot, lefty, obsessed or whatever. Closest thing was that I was almost feeling sorry for you.

DRB300 repped this.
  20. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    This is a small, but good action. Not wanting to kill others for no reasons is generally a good thing..... However it does not answer my questions. Do they see me (an atheist) as their equal and do they fight for equality for me when they have the power? We now know that 70% of the Turkish people in the Netherlands have voted for Erdogan. A Putin. They voted on that man. What does that say about how much they value freedom when it comes to being able to enroll their religion over a country further and further? What else than power and control keeps them from doing the same in the Netherlands? Those are sincere questions of me. Sincere concerns. Do you have an answer to that?

Noted, but as usual you are wrong and you have a very hard time dealing with that and that is also why you keep coming back being a disruptive force and make me an issue here, while you have every reason to look in the mirror. My opinion was asked about 2 videos and I gave it. It was asked and you probably missed that. Yes judgmental language was used (demonizing is faulty use of words and it is not "left", but regressive left that I attack), but I also explain why with certain reports, data, statistics. Being judgmental in this case comes from standing by certain values and pointing out the corrupting forces and people contributing to that. You watch any pundit show and they use stronger language than me. Also it is funny you pick on this post and I have been pretty dovish in others. Nice cherry picking. So this was petty reaching attempt that felt flat on its face again. If you have a case opposing mine, please show me and if I am convinced I revise my position. If you have nothing of worth to share, then move on.

Anyway. Since you talk about loonies. You have found a new friend. The guy that wants to nuke the whole place. Oh the irony :laugh:

21. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    #71 DRB300, Nov 17, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
    This is actually a good point. FSF had only 1 person to go after if judgmental language was bothering him and that was DT, who put down KGOranje, Orange14 and has been clear about his feelings towards using a Nuke. A NUKE. Then makes the choice to look past that and complain about a post where I come across opinionated when drawing a clear divide on the left that is hugely confused on this issue IMO, which means that clarity is needed.

Another clear indication somebody is reaching.

22. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    There is a nice column in The New York Times today by David Brooks on how religiousness fosters groupiness. Such groups can be peaceful or they can engage in unspeakable horror (of course the two groups most correlated with absolute terror were Hitler's Germany and Stalin's Russia, both of which were essentially non-religious in the classical sense). Whether it is religion or not, the reliance on malleable individuals if paramount. The leaders of these groups are excellent readers of human behavior and psychology and are able to use this ability to shape their followers in gradual steps so that they are desensitized towards conventional morality. The evolution of these cults can center around a text or an individual and in the end they usually implode though not without doing a great deal of damage.

23. ???? The same tactic as usual, implying something in connection to me or what I posted...coming from your brains and nowhere else. The tactic of framing someone with something you invent, not by a fact.
    By the way, I have the same opinion on Erdogun as you have, but I draw another conclusion on why people here vote for him. He creates chaos and violence thus provoking counter violence. The people are then falling for the delusion he creates as the only factor that creates safety for the country. Not all people voting for him here are also religious fanatics. But unfortunately fall for his safety propaganda.
    What really bothers me is seeing Europe consorting with him and Putin to face the violence of Isis, while the people on the run from that area are on the run for Putins comrad Assad, who kills a manyfold of the numbers by Isis, while Erdogunner seizes the chance to murder a minority within and over the border he considers a threat.

24. It all depends on the person that is in charge. If it is someone with a meek character that only sees the love to be spread, you will have a group of people doing well to society. If on the other hand it is a sociopath, you get a bunch of murderers. Experiments have shown that people are easily being convinced to do what people they consider as authorities, tell them to do. See for instance that famous one in the States with the electric current punishment and the prisoner/guards one.
    There was mentioning of the ISfighters looking forward to the apocalyptic battle proficised on a certain spot.
    They arenot the only ones with such a mad idea. Daft fanatic Christians in the States were planning with extremists settlers to blow up the Temple Mount, expecting the Muslims to en masse to descend to the place where according to prophecies the final battle would take place (forgot the name of the place) and thus create the situation for the Second Coming.
    It seems to me very blasphemistic to think you can force God to do something, because you created a situation that resembles a prophacy.
    In Dutch Christian communities, it isnot considered a problem if the Palastines are victims of genocide. They point me to the Bible, the part with Samson, in which God tells the Philistines they will be wiped of the earth. So God wants it, so it is okay. But it is the same lunacy you find in the Bible belt in the USA.
    The funny thing is that they equate Palastinians=Philistines. But Palastines for a great part were Jews that during Roman times converted to Christianity (If I am correct about 80% of the people during the Roman time were Christians) and with the emergence of the likes of Saladin a great part converted to Islam, which was also beneficial from a tax point of view.
    So I donot care what book you follow, I judge you by your deeds. Geen woorden, maar daden!

Dutch Treat and Orange14 repped this.
  25. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Go check the other thread, O14 basically demanded I leave the thread or he would stop posting.

I'll see if I can find the link.

You were a bit more tolerant I admit, but like I said left-wing obsession with FoxNews is starting to get tiresome, especially when you leave little remarks like that and stray from the debate