[NSR] - My sister(boots15) is moving to Portugal thread

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by Stogey23, Apr 14, 2005.

1. PassItOn

PassItOn New Member

Dec 29, 2004
    NJ
    Wlking, and walking some more solves all these problems. People in Portugal are starting to get our habits, of eating and sitting. The old Portuguese way was eat, and let's go for a walk to the "Tasca e beber um copo".

2. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I have a natural large apetite, I could eat a big dinner and 20 minutes later I'm hungry again. I'm naturally skinny but years of construction and working out at school helped me get more bulk. Like Rochemback without so much the belly.

3. Bigdudeduke

Bigdudeduke New Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Chicago Suburbs
    Which in English means ....

4. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    go to the bar and have a drink

5. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    Ok, I went and did that but I still don't know what it means. :D

6. ALBU

ALBU New Member

Jun 15, 2004
    Toronto/Albufeira
    Given my age (mid-20s) and location of my relatives (plus, the fact my parents have an apartment in Albufeira) I quite enjoy the discos at night and the beaches and scenery during the late afternoon. When we're there most of the mornings are wasted sleeping off the remnants of the night before so we tend to skip pequino almoço and head straight for the almoço, which for me tends to consist of frango assado.

After a long night on the town we like to hit a pastelaria for some snacks and tend to be greeted with: bom dia to which we reply: manhã boa para você, boa noite para nós...

...can't wait till the summer, haven't been back for a few years now and the anticipation is killing me.

7. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    Because of the WC 06, the Superliga to starter in early August, just great

8. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    :eek: You mean I can catch up to 4 Braga games + The Selecao game. I'm already there...and maybe even a Uefa Cup game!

9. boots15

boots15 New Member

Sep 19, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Thanks Guys!!!!

10. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    No problem, any more questions?

11. boots15

boots15 New Member

Sep 19, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    I was just going to post a question and then I feasted my eyes on my brothers avatar and I forgot my question...........Balki!

I started the process today of applying for my visa and the paperwork said that the approval could take 8 months. I almost had a heart attack since I only have about 3 months (wow, 3 months exactly today). The paperwork is going to be a bitch I can tell you that.

Has anyone applied for a Portugal working visa? Any helpful tips?

12. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Ma name ise Balki Bartukomus an dise ise my kosin Laddy Apletone.

For the visa I don't know. I got my citezenship at 17 (through being the son of Portuguese parents) so I could live/work there whenever I want. I may just do that. I actually don't know anyone outside of being a Portuguese descendant that works there. Anyone else?

13. ALBU

ALBU New Member

Jun 15, 2004
    Toronto/Albufeira

Had a friend that went over in the summer to work the bars and was able to secure a work permit (not sure if that is the actual classification...) in about a day. He says it was a simple procedure, signed a temporary work permit that gave him a social insurance number and he was legally allowed to work for a certain amount of time in the Algarve.

Have you spoken to the Portuguese consulant? Is your work there temporary in nature or permanent...

14. boots15

boots15 New Member

Sep 19, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    I am thinking about buying a computer before I head over to Portugal. I am concerned about the converter isssue. Will the power work? Will the internet work?

15. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    You will need a converter in order to switch form 110 to 220 (Round Pegs) which are used in Portugal. Depending on your computer make, one can be bought from your computer manufacturer or you can use a converter plug.

[​IMG]

16. boots15

boots15 New Member

Sep 19, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    THANKS!

17. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    that's one of the bad parts when moving or taken appliances to Portugal, but I believe its all over europe

18. boots15

boots15 New Member

Sep 19, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    So, it will be able to work definitely, I just have to find the right converter. I am getting a DELL so I will ask them when I buy it.
    47 days til my big move!

19. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Dell definately has them, I purchased one and used it last year during my visit...

Looks like the normal power cord you would get with your laptop except it is a 220 plug.:)

20. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    What about internet, is it RJ45 over there?

21. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    how long are you going to be in Portugal?

22. Briosa a frente

Briosa a frente New Member

Sep 3, 2004
    Winnipeg, (Coimbra)
    I just had to have my home computer totally redone, cleaned and reinstalled.
    My sister in Portugal keeps sending me Virus Infested E Mails. and My Kids keep opening them without checking them first.
    THe computer gurus keep telling me that europe lacks behind North america in anti virus used. now I'm not sure if he meant the european providers or sites or what but I suggest getting all the latest stuff before going over.

23. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    got a question, I will be in Portugal God will on the 13th of August, how can I get to a computer so send some emails to the guys at bigsoccer.com?

do they have pay computers in the post offices, libraries etc.?
    its been 3 years since I was in Portugal

24. |--LdC--|

|--LdC--| New Member

Nov 16, 2003
    Lisboa/Portugal
    Most of the libraries have free internet access, you only need to get there and use it :)

25. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    thanks, I will have to find one in Torreira, how long can I use it?