NRL covergae on FSW

Discussion in 'Rugby & Aussie Rules' started by OldFanatic, Mar 12, 2004.

1. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The National Rugby League from Australia is beginning its coverage on FSW. The first match being shown involves the much maligned Canterbury Bulldogs.

March 18 (Thursday) 8 PM Pacific/11 PM Eastern on Tape Delay:

Canterbury Bulldogs vs. Parramatta Eels

2. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reminder, first match being shown tomorrow night. For those of you who may not have seen much of this sport, a chance to check it out. It's very different than Rugby Union.

3. BhoysFC1995

BhoysFC1995 New Member

Nov 30, 1999
    NYC
    gonna catch it tonite, first time watching league on tv.

4. BhoysFC1995

BhoysFC1995 New Member

Nov 30, 1999
    NYC
    what the heck?!!!!!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!

they are showing the final from last year instead of the eels bulldogs game.

WTF?!?!?!?!

send comments to comments@foxsportsworld.com

5. Sykotyk

Sykotyk Member

Jun 9, 2003
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm fuming over this. I had some stuff to do and didn't think I'd be home in time to record the game. But I decided since I knew the result that I didn't care about taping it, and would just catch the second half when I get home. I came home early by chance, and this game is on. Had I known it, I would've recorded since I wanted to record it when it was originally played. So I've now missed the intro, but luckily will be able to get the entire Final, I hope.

Sykotyk

6. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They screwed up big time on this, bringing back the pre-match interview with the "man without shoulders" Adrian Lam instead. It's been a while since I watched League (since the live 2003 NRL Grand Final to be precise). The schedule from http://www.foxsportsworld.com/netapp/blobs/active/2/15/920922_37_152.pdf?rand=1318773451 does say Bulldogs - Eels as the match though.

After having watched a lot of Super 12 and Tri Nations, I think I like Union better. League seems a bit similar to American Football, except a lot faster (run, pass, bang-hit, hit, hit, punt, repeated forever). The tackling in League is a lot ferocious than Union. There are no lineouts. There don't seem to be any penalties and any scrums either. There are people who don't like the "punt out of bounds for a lineout to gain field position" in Union. But after seeing the repetitive bang-bang hard hitting and punting, I became dizzy. There just doesn't seem to be as much strategy element as in Union in this sport.

Actually, American Football takes strategy element to another extreme with micro-specialized player duties (punt kicker, punt returner, kickoff returner, field goal kicker etc.) In that respect League seems superior to American Football, since everyone is required to play both offence and defence, and there aren't many play stoppages.

Sorry, a lot of this seems more appropriate for the "Union vs League" thread. It's just that seeing this League match again in the middle of the Super 12 broadcasts brought back these comparisons in my mind. Honestly, I don't think League is my cup of tea, and I doubt I'll catch any more NRL matches, or make anymore schedule updates. Sorry. Back to the Super 12 thread......

7. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    You echoed all of my sentiments of how I feel about rugby league exactly. Yet their are actually some rugby league zealots out there who think union is boring if you can believe that.

8. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. BhoysFC1995

BhoysFC1995 New Member

Nov 30, 1999
    NYC
    hmm, well let me be one of those people that would say that based on watching my first League game, my initial reaction is that is that i find it to be more exciting than union.

"There are no lineouts. There don't seem to be any penalties and any scrums either."

i think that helps it be more flowing, instead of constant stopping.

maybe b/c i grew up watching american football (with 4 downs), seeing the '6 downs' in League, i can understand it, and compare to american football, its much faster.

"I don't think League is my cup of tea, and I doubt I'll catch any more NRL matches"

actually, i think when comparing the 2, i would be more inclined to make sure i watch league.

i'll just have to look elsewhere for schedule updates :)