NRC: Pioneers advance to ply Fire in USOC in Ludlow.

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by FoxBoro 143, Jun 29, 2005.

1. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Pioneers won 5-0 tonight over Indiana. So they advance to play the fire on July 13th, presumably at Ludlow. Just FYI

2. Mike Toole

Mike Toole New Member

Dec 23, 2002
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could this theoretically result in the Pioneers playing the Revs?

3. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would think that they would play in Chicago, but if they are playing in Ludlow, I'll be there cheering on the Pioneers.

4. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My understanding is that they are playing in Ludlow.

5. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Ditto... I've seen a efw press reports and comments from their front office indicating the match against Chicago will be played at Ludlow.

6. Rev-eler

Rev-eler Member

Feb 13, 2000
    San Francisco
    i was there last night.....complete domination by the pioneers.

fire are MOST definitely scheduled to come to ludlow for a 7:30 game on wed 7/13. tickets go on sale this friday!!

and for those in the know....'re-entry' into the stadium is totally cool which means you can actually go back to mateus for another drink prior to the 2nd half!!
    :)

quick report (nothing from masslive.com yet)

Indiana Reggae Boyz 0 :: 5 Western Mass Pioneers

The Pioneers continued their high-flying pace that has put them into a tie for first in the USL Second Division by dispatching of the USASA's Indiana Reggae Boyz in convincing fashion. Omar McFarlane scored five minutes in and added another in the 61st. Rigels Qosa, who set up the opening tally scored in the 59th to make it 3-0 and second half sub Kevin McMenamin went on to register a goal and two assists, setting up the third and fourth goals and capping the night with one of his own in the 79th.

Scoring
    WM: Omar McFarlane (Rigels Qosa) 5; Kyle Fletcher 41; Qosa (Kevin McMenamin) 59; McFarlane (McMenamin) 61; McMenamin (Neil Krause) 79

btw, mcfarlane is really exciting to watch. small outside defender that runs up top constantly. 10x more exciting with the ball (granted against weaker opp) than brillant

as for a possible revs matchup.....i'll take a look at the updated regional pairings v who's coming in for round 4 (rest of mls)....and make some educated guesses. i think we could see the winners of the following matches though:
    1. Vrg Bch Mariners (1) @ Roch. Rhinos (1)
    2. Chicago Fire (m) @ W. Mass Pioneers (2)

i'd have to think that the next closest regional game
    O.C. Barons (p) @ Richmond Kickers (1)....will go to metros (maybe dc...but unlikely)

7. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    From what I understand, the Revolution will play the winner of the July 21, 2005 3rd Round match between the Chicago Fire and Western Mass. Pioneers at Lusitano Stadium on August 3rd.

Below are the results from last night, as well as the 3rd Round Pairings. Man, that Seattle vs. Portland game would certainly be one I'd like to see.

U.S. Open Cup: 2nd Round Results

11June 29:Seatle Sounders (USL First Division) 3, Salinas Valley Samba (USASA) 1

12 June 29: Chicago Fire Premier (PDL) 1, Minnesota Thunder (USL First Division) 2

13 June 29: Reggae Boyz (USASA) 0, Western Mass Pioneers (USL Second Division) 5

14 June 29: Richmond Kickers Future (PDL) 0, Virginia Beach Mariners (USL First Division) 3

15 June 29: Roma 0 (USASA), Wilmington Hammerheads (USL Second Division) 5

16 June 29: L.I. Rough Riders (USL Second Division) 0, Ocean City Barons (PDL) 4

17 June 29: Charlotte Eagles (USL Second Division) 4, El Paso Patriots (PDL) 1

18 June 29: Charleston Battery 2 (USL First Division), Des Moines Menace (PDL) 3

U.S. Open Cup: 3rd Round Fixtures

July 12: Seattle Sounders (USL First Division) vs Portland Timbers (USL First Division) at PGE Park; Portland, Ore. 7:00PM PT

July 13: Real Salt Lake (MLS) vs Minnesota Thunder (USL First Division) at James Griffin Stadium; St. Paul, Minn. 7:00PM CT

21 July: Chicago Fire (MLS) vs Western Mass Pioneers (USL Second Division) at Lusitano Stadium; Ludlow, Mass. 7:30PM ET

22 July: Virginia Beach Mariners (USL First Division) vs. Rochester Rhinos (USL First Division) at Frontier Field; Rochester, N.Y. 7:30PM ET

23 July: Wilmington Hammerheads (USL Second Division) vs FC Dallas (MLS) at Univ. of Texas-Dallas; Dallas, Texas. 7:00PM CT

24 July: Ocean City Barons (PDL) vs. Richmond Kickers (USL First Division) at Richmond Kickers Sports Backers Stadium; Richmond, Va. 7:00PM ET

25 July: Chivas USA (MLS) vs. Charlotte Eagles (USL Second Division) at Davidson College; Davidson, N.C. 7:30PM ET

26 July: Des Moines Menace (PDL) vs. Atlanta Silverbacks (USL First Division) at DeKalb Memorial Stadium; Clarkson, GA. 8:00PM ET

Hopefully the above is correct.

The Magpie

8. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The way Chicago is playing right now, I almost feel sorry for the Pioneers. I wish them all the luck, but I don't have much hope for them.

The one thing that could (I suppose) help is that the Fire will be in a bit of a tough stretch at that point.

Their schedule for the month of July.

7/2 @ Chivas
    7/9 New England (and we're missing so many players... this could be bad for us)
    7/16 Crew
    7/23 @ Colorado

Maybe that could help the Pioneers a bit. Maybe.

Magpie ... the only issue is that according to USOpenCup.com this game is to be played the 13th?

9. Rev-eler

Rev-eler Member

Feb 13, 2000
    San Francisco
    mag, the sounders game is on the 12th.....all others on the 13th.
    i think in your post, starting with the fire game, you've listed the Match #....21, 22, 23, etc....

10. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn Magpie, starting rumors again. :D

11. Rev-eler

Rev-eler Member

Feb 13, 2000
    San Francisco
    i still think it's open to interpretation on whether the revs would play the pioneers/fire match (source magpie?). definitely a strong possibility though, in not certain.

with the past quotes from the wmp office that the revs are sched to play their 4th round game there.....can you imagine the revs playing the pioneers OR the FIRE HAVING TO GO TO LUDLOW TWICE!?
    :D

12. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The source is the Mass Live article quoting the Pioneers GM (I believe it was). I've posted the link on these boards before ... just need to find it again.

13. Rev-eler

Rev-eler Member

Feb 13, 2000
    San Francisco
    from last night:
    Pioneers rock 'n roll

your article monty:
    Pioneers looking to put some Fire on Lusitano slate

well, at least it sounds like it's a done deal.
    for some reason, i thought they had just mentioned that the revs had struck a deal to play 2 matches there.....and maybe didn't involve playing the pioneers/fire winner. that assumption seems to be wrong. so, great....more mateus this summer is not a bad thing!
    ;)

14. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Source: http://www.masslive.com/sports/republican/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1120031420116070.xml&coll=1

and here:

http://www.masslive.com/search/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1120031420116070.xml?sspi

Quote from first article: "The future path for the tournament is set if the Pioneers can put the Reggae Boyz behind them. The third-round match would bring Chicago Fire of Major League Soccer to Lusitano Stadium, and the New England Revolution would play at Lusitano in the fourth round against the winner of the Pioneers-Fire match...

Admittedly, this isn't the same as U.S. Soccer indicating that either the Fire or Western. Mass will be the opponent, but if they do a geographic match, Western Mass. would make sense if they win, but who's to say we cuoldn't get Rochester again?

You know, I'm really hoping Western Mass. beats Chicago (on principle alone I'm hoping for that): not only would it set up a nice match between two local clubs, but it'll bring that much more $$$ to the USL Second Division club, and could really bring about a large turnout for the match.

15. Rev-eler

Rev-eler Member

Feb 13, 2000
    San Francisco
    the writer of the article i quoted certainly seems to think the winner will play the revs....wonder what his source is?

to date, the usoc committee has been releasing the potential matchups for the round after the current round only a few days after the previous round is completed. meaning, they announced 3rd round pairings a few days after the 1st round was done (already knowing the 2nd round of course).

confusing, but, i would expect that they will announce the 4th round pairings (the revs entry round) maybe monday or tuesday next week. so, i'm not sure if you were intimating this or not.....but, they won't know the actual winners of the 3rd round games before they announce 4th round pairings. so, they won't wait to see if the rhinos or the fire or the pioneers (if they both win in next round) to decide 'best' geographical match.

16. Rev-eler

Rev-eler Member

Feb 13, 2000
    San Francisco
    if they stay true to form and continue to announce 2 rounds ahead…..and, don't take really into consideration strength of teams (like bias an easy opp for the revs b/c they're good right now) and really try to make the best geographic match b/f the winners are known….then, here are my guesses:

Winner Seattle Sounders (1) @ Portland Timbers (1) vs. San Jose Earthquakes (m)
    Winner Real Salt Lake (m) @ Minn. Thunder (1) vs. Colorado Rapids (m)
    Winner Chicago Fire (m) @ W. Mass Pioneers (2) vs. New England Revolution (m)
    Winner Vrg Bch Mariners (1) @ Roch. Rhinos (1) vs. MetroStars (m)
    Winner Wilm. Hammerheads (2) @ FC Dallas (m) vs. Columbus Crew (m)
    Winner Ocean City Barons (p) @ Richmond Kickers (1) vs. D.C. United (m)
    Winner Chivas USA (m) @ Charlotte Eagles (2) vs. Los Angeles Galaxy (m)
    Winner Des Moines Menace (p) @ Atl. Silverbacks (1) vs. Kansas City Wizards (m)

…..why do I have the feeling they'll try to avoid a chivas/galaxy match-up though
    :)

(yeah, if chivas can even get past charlotte!)

17. Rev-eler

Rev-eler Member

Feb 13, 2000
    San Francisco
    .....btw, think the fire will be spending the night?
    are we supposed to be trying to find out where they'll be?

18. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even if they spend the night, it'll most likely be after the match, not the night before.

This game (Fire) scares the heck out of me. Luckily we'll at least have everyone back for this one.

19. Sean Donahue

Sean Donahue Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Massachusetts
    Ha, they gotting advance past the mighty Pioneers first. :)

20. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
  21. Rev-eler

Rev-eler Member

Feb 13, 2000
    San Francisco
  22. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's gonna be a helluva week: Gold Cup double header on the 12th; USOC on the 13th; Revs/Gold Cup triple header on the 16th.....

23. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    The thing that should scare the heck out of you (or anyone caring about the USOC) is that Nicol doesn't place a high priority on it.

If the USNT returnees haven't been playing, they will probably see time, but if they've been seeing regular action, they're likely to be rested for this game.

24. NE_Tea_Men_'78

NE_Tea_Men_'78 New Member

Jun 14, 2000
    Central Mass.
    You are absolutely right! I remember Andy Dorman got a start last year. Didn't Joe-Max suffer his final injury as a Rev against the Rhinos last year?

I love this competition, although our record so far has not been stellar.

In 1997 I went to CT with a homemade sign listing all of New England's USOC winners, with the Revs at slotted for that year. What a mistake. They were one and out, losing to the Long Island Rough Riders. Slyde made the trip, but most of our starters didn't. I think Big Frank had bigger fish to fry.

In 1998, we skipped the Cup. When I asked BO'D, he said that they were concentrating on "winning MLS Cup." I think we all know where that extra concentration got us.

I think we didn't even qualify for the tourney in 1999.

In 2000, I was at the old 'Boro as a witness to the nadir of Rev fandom: a 1-0 loss to the PDL Mid Michigan Bucks. I think PDL was the lowest possible level of pro soccer in the US at the time. I felt good for the Bucks, but angry with the Revs' decision not to take the tourney very seriously.

In 2001, my memory of the Cup is foggy. I forget how many games the Revs hosted. This is odd, because it was our best year in the Cup. We lost to the gaLAxy in the final. What I really remember is perhaps the biggest penny-pinching move Kraft soccer has ever made. We qualified for a CONCAF cup winners cup due to our performance in the USOC. If I remember this correctly, the winner of this tourney got to play the Champions League winner in Spain. We opted not to really take this competition seriously, and sold our home fixture to the Costa Rican side for $25K. Sunil cited "unpredictable March weather in New England" as the primary reason for taking the 30 pieces of silver...

In 2002, we didn't qualify again.

In 2003 and 2004. We win one, lose one against the Rochester Raging Rhinos in Ludlow. I love that venue! It's everything that Gillete is not. It's always a great time. Though last year, I couln't help but be happy for the 100 or so Rhinos fans which made the very long bus trip. I remember seeing former Rev Yari Allnut rasing his arms in triumph at the end of the match. Oh, the memories. The Open Cup has been very cruel to us, but I always get excited for it.

25. Rev-eler

Rev-eler Member

Feb 13, 2000
    San Francisco
    fyi.....

i believe the following to be correct.

tix on sale for fire/pioneers game starting today.....and, apparently there was a small line for tix when it opened at 8am this morning.

tickets are $10 for adults, and $6 for students in advance
    $14 and $8 the day of the game.

pioneers number: 413.583.4814

you can prepurchase with a c.c. and a 6 tix minimum or buy at 'big y' supermarkets apparently.

stadium 'seating' is 3,200 +/-
    but, they've sold 5,200+ before if they have the demand....they think they'll have the demand here.