NRC: New soccer mag launching

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by rkupp, May 30, 2012.

1. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
  2. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks intresting, I'll definitely give it a shot.

Is George the son of fomer Tampa Bay Mutiny GM Farukh Quirashi? Not too many people with soccer connections with that name...

3. MrSangster

MrSangster Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Duxbury,MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, George is Farukhs son. I am remember sitting in the stands of an old Boston Bulldogs game talking with FQ. Good guy

4. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are they really launching a print publication in 2012? And they're excited about it?

Sorry, that just seems to be an expensive and wrong long term strategy these days for a viable publication.

5. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed, met him a few times way back when ...

Good luck to your friend's son, Bob.

6. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you read the description, doing print is risky, but it makes sense. It strikes me as more an arts and culture magazine centered around soccer than a typical sports magazine.
    The web isn't meant for quarterly publications.

7. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Yup - he was my college teammate. He was an absolutely incredible player and just a really great person.

8. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    lol kickstarter is for suckers

9. gk

gk Member

LFC
    Dec 29, 1999
    MA
    yeah, Amanda Palmer is on line 2

10. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Yeah Amanda F***ing Palmer is a genius. She scammed the suckers.

11. George Quraishi

George Quraishi New Member

May 31, 2012
    rkupp, I just wanted to thank you for mentioning Howler here on Big Soccer. We're doing our best to reach out to the people in our networks and we're so grateful when someone else likes our idea enough to tell the people in theirs. Thanks too for the kind words about my dad—have to say I agree completely!

There are a lot of interesting points being made here, so I thought I would address them one by one:

RevsLiverpool, you're right that it seems counterintuitive to start a print magazine these days. Putting a new idea out into the world is always a risk; but so far, people seem to be responding well. More than 500 people have pre-ordered the first issue or a subscription in the first five days of our campaign. We're incredibly excited to create this magazine. It's been a lot of work but also A LOT of fun.

Argyle, we wholeheartedly agree with you, re: quarterly mags. I get most of my soccer news from the web, but when I want to read something longer than a thousand words, or look at awesome art, I prefer print. We'll make a digital edition available, and it will be free for all subscribers, but we don't think it's an adequate substitute for the print product.

Kraft Out, sounds like you've had a bad experience with Kickstarter—that's too bad. We think it's an amazing platform for allowing people to fund creative projects and help project creators make new things. Without a platform like Kickstarter, we would need outside investors or the deep pockets of a major soccer brand in order to launch something like Howler; doing it this way allows us to work directly with the people who matter most to us—our readers—and keep our magazine free from corporate interference.

—George

ToMhIlL repped this.
  12. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah, he's just had a bad experience with life.

13. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you for the thoughtful response George. It's very possible the magazine could flourish long term, you know your market; I just questioned the staying power for the medium based on personal editorial experience. Kickstarter is definitely the way to go, that makes a lot of sense with this type of initiative; if there's a free digital edition I'll definitely check it out and tell folks about it.

It sounds like you're off to a great start; wishing you and your colleagues nothing but success.