NRC: Bob Kraft IS a savvy businessman

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by patfan1, Jul 25, 2010.

1. saabrian

saabrian Member

Mar 25, 2002
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cups and W/L records are indicative of the quality of the product.

Fannies in the seats are indicative of the popularity of the product.

Fannies in the seats (people who pay to watch the product) and popularity (people who pay to buy merchandise and people who watch TV stations who pay to broadcast the product) are strongly related to revenue which is strongly related to profit... something businessmen are typically interested in.

Kraft may be a savvy businessman in his other enterprises and perhaps the Revs are a giant tax write off for him, but he doesn't seem interested in either their profitability or in the Revs' success on the field.

So if these are not factors in a successful business, then what are?

1 person likes this.
  2. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    No backup plan? Don't you mean no backup plan with "your approval"?

Schilawski is a backup plan. Perovic is a backup plan. Dube is a backup plan.

3. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree on the Schil and Dube but I think Perovic would start on those Rev teams from 2005-2007. Going back aways, I think it's safe to say Perovic is better than Marshall Leonard, Kamler, Richie Baker (remember him?), Castro and virtually all of our left sided mids throughout this decade. My guess is he starts in 2006 over Khano on the left and probably beats out the rookie Wells Thompson in 2007 (I know it's not all 1:1 but with Perovic I think Nicol reconfigures the lineup accordingly).

At the height of the Revs' domination, imagine an attacking core of Perovic, Dempsey, Ralston, Dorman with Twellman and Noonan up top? Wow. Hello MLS Cup Champs in 2006 and 2007. Sadly he's a few years too late. :(

4. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It isn't a matter of a backup plan with my (or anyone else's) approval. It is a matter of a plan, period. I will give you Perovic - he has been a good acquisition in the attacking side, but when that's pretty much the only positive thing you can say at all about bringing in players, it ain't much. Schilawski and Dube are clearly not "backup plans" to replace Twellman should he not be able to play. You might get some mileage out of either or both, but right now, niether one is an MLS-quality striker.