[NQR] - San José Mayor Confirms Champ Car Plans

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by nyrmetros, Nov 20, 2004.

1. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/champcar/14049/

"The proposal for a new Champ Car World Series event to be held next July in downtown San José, Calif., was officially unveiled Friday by San José Mayor Ron Gonzales. The San José Grand Prix, scheduled for July 29-31, 2005, will be contested around the HP Pavilion and the surrounding streets, pending formal approval by the San José City Council. It will be the eighth stop on the 2005 Bridgestone Presents The Champ Car World Series Powered by Ford schedule. Bob Singleton, who has organized Champ Car events in Canada for a number of years, will serve as general manager for the event."

"The mayor said that the city plans a week of activities leading up to the race, including concerts, fairs, charity events and promotional activities in Northern California’s largest city. "

2. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    http://www.champweb.net/headline.php?t=h&id=26762

"Some of the world's fastest cars using the best racing technology by superb drivers from throughout the world will converge on Silicon Valley, and revenues generated by the event will bring real economic benefit to our community and local businesses."

The mayor will bring the proposal to the San José City Council for its consideration on December 7. Under the proposal, the City and the San José Redevelopment Agency would invest $650,000 toward the $3 million infrastructure costs to install and remove barriers, equipment and street improvements needed for the race.

Over the next ten years, revenues from the event would repay the public investment with interest. The balance of the project cost would be paid by event revenues and the Canary Fund.

The specific route for the San José Grand Prix has not yet been determined, but it would follow city streets in the downtown area.

The agreement for the race is a long-term arrangement between the city of San José, California and Canary Fund Enterprises LLC.

Tickets for the San José Grand Prix are on sale now and can be purchased through ticket master. You may reach ticket master at the following phone numbers:

408-998-tixs or 510-625-tixs or 415-421-tixs

For additional information go to: (www.sanJoségrandprix.com).

3. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    If San Jose is going to spend redevelopment money on this event, it needs to spend redevelopment money on saving the Earthquakes. I've emailed my councilperson. Everyone else in San Jose should email theirs (contact info on soccersiliconvalley.com.). I am also going to try to make the December 7 city council meeting and wear my Quakes stuff and let the council hear it directly when the matter comes up. This would be a good time to let the city council know there are lots of Quakes fans in San Jose and we're paying attention. Who's with me?

4. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hate Gonzo.

5. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Maybe if SSV or the Quakes themsevles could cross promote with the new San Jose Champcar race..... i think that would be a good thing for all parties involved. Your thoughts?

6. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone go after this guy already. He wants to attract the Athletics and now race car driving, but not save the Quakes.

Or better yet, if anyone lives in San Jose, vote him out of office.

7. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    I think just out of spite I'll file a law suit to stop it. Something about ruining the quiet enjoyment of my neighborhood.

8. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    No can...he's term limited out anyway. And who cares enough to start a recall?

9. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doh! Thanks. I'm not a San Jose resident so can only observe from the outside. That won't work either, but fillibusters can.

10. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You sure the mayor of San Jose is not someone's sock puppet?
    Always sounds like someone is manipulating those strings.

11. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    I think the Champcar race in San Jose could be a good thing for the Earthquakes. Maybe the two entities could cross promote their products.... business schmoozing.... both the Quakes and auto race are good for San Jose.

12. jussen1

jussen1 Member

Nov 9, 2003
    SJ
    I'm with you Don. I've already e-mailed the city council and Jim Cunneen. Now we should raise hell at the council meeting. Rally #2.

13. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

As Infuriated as people are around here about the SJ Mayor's ignorance of what the 'Quakes mean to and do for the bay area, following this advice would do the most good for the 'Quakes and probably infuriate RonGo the the most.

14. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    As an outside, but a fan of MLS and Champcar, synergy between the Quakes and Champcar San Jose is nthing but positive. I have been to the Cleveland Champcar race, and it is simply amazing how the entire community turns the race into a week long series of events, parties.... it creates a happening. Businesses and other local sports teams line up left and right in order to become involved, and cross promote their products.

Just a friendly offering.... :)

15. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uh.... It's San Jose. That won't ever happen.

16. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish you were serious.

This is the most absurd thing I've ever heard! I'm sorry but a race through the streets of San Jose?! WTF?! Okay, if San Jose were a true city with a downtown area that had stuff for people to do.... Well then maybe. But, yeah.... I LOVE car races. I wouldn't want to go to this thing if they paid me. This is crazy!

17. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not even if they paid you [​IMG] one million dollars? :eek:

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

18. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alright.... well they could pay me. I'll take a soccer team with local ownership and one new stadium. THEN I'll go this.

See this is coming from someone who has always wanted to go to the Long Beach race. My mom owns a condo a block away. But in San Jose, no way! If this happens, I hope the Quakes go to Santa Clara and become the Santa Clara Earthquakes! :p

19. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's a greater chance of CD Chivas USA becoming an English-language only team. :p

-G

20. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know I don't believe those odds.... Santa Clara Earthquakes could happen. I'm all for it. I'm ready to move to Santa Clara just to put my support behind it. :)

21. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They could move to Santa Clara, but they'll remain named the San Jose Earthquakes. :)

-G

22. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pissed at the city of San Jose. Their only team with multiple championships and they are spitting in the team's face. I'm just pissed right now and ready to throw my support behind any city in the Bay Area that will take us. But I like the idea of Santa Clara best.

23. Alexi

Alexi Member

Feb 26, 1999
    San Francisco
    Well, at least we don't have another Gonzalez as the Mayor in SF ....

24. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gonzales blows!

The rest of the council too. How brain dead can you get? These chumps want to attract Baseball and Racing, but they are willing to lose their symphony and Championship Soccer team?! What's with that? Ignore what you have, rather than nuture it and pine for what you can't get? (The baseball, not the racing.) That's just completely lame.

San Jose could and should be the best city in Northern California. They have a ton going for them. But they can' figure out how to make the most of what they have. They continue to believe that they are second best to SF and they act like it. They deserve what they get! :mad:

GO QUAKES!!

- Mark

25. Alexi

Alexi Member

Feb 26, 1999
    San Francisco
    Well, I can name at least 10 location in the Bay Area where I would personally prefer to live over than living in San Jose.