NQR - GALAXY vs WBA called off

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by CARLOS1, Jul 1, 2005.

1. CARLOS1

CARLOS1 Member

Aug 9, 2001
    Sunnyvale, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If West Brom wanted to play a class California team they should have shot a little more north;

WEST BROMWICH, England (AP) -- West Bromwich Albion has been forced to call off a two-game series in California later this month.

The English Premier League club said Friday the Los Angeles Galaxy had canceled a preseason game with West Brom to play an exhibition against Spanish power Real Madrid on July 18. West Brom said it had tentative plans to face the Galaxy on July 20 and Chivas USA on July 26.

``We're not commenting on that at all,'' said Galaxy spokesman Patrick Donnelly, who also would not confirm whether the teams had a signed contract.

West Brom chairman Jeremy Peace was upset with the decision.

``I am angry and disappointed at the treatment of our club and we will be reporting all the circumstances to FIFA, and other relevant football authorities,'' he said.

``We strongly believe we had a firm commitment from LA Galaxy who, on June 8, confirmed by e-mail that they had finalized their local arrangements to take West Bromwich Albion to their area.''

Peace said the team hoped instead to play two preseason games in Europe.

2. doppelganger

doppelganger Member

Jul 6, 2001
    santa cruz, ca
    guess it has more clout to lose to Madrid than WBA....

3. yalpstel

yalpstel Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea, way to make friends for US soccer and MLS you arrogant craps of the south.

4. SeamusBrewer

SeamusBrewer New Member

Jan 22, 2003
    SF
    Does that mean the Quakes have already schedualed friendlies with other teams? In the ESPN artricle it says West Brom were looking to schedual friendlies with other teams in California so I started to get the impression they would play the Quakes instead, but I guess not.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/headlinenews?id=336415&cc=5901
    Any word if the Quakes will be playing anyone?

5. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Dear WBA, We(the San Jose Earthquakes) are available to play your side and would be more than happy to have you here in our fair city. You will be treated much better here than in LA and we'll all go out after the match and drink many pints of tasty beer. Just ask Aston Villa how they liked their time up here and I'm sure you'll have just as good a time as they did. Come on AEG, you bastards, throw us a stinking bone already.

6. CARLOS1

CARLOS1 Member

Aug 9, 2001
    Sunnyvale, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For sure

7. dcucfc

dcucfc New Member

Oct 29, 2003
    Toledo, Ohio
    Cancelling the game with only 3 weeks to go? Shows what a lack of class the Galaxy have.

8. FAS

FAS Member

Jun 5, 1999
    Los Gatos
    What can you expect, it's AEG after all, proving once again what a slimy backstabbing organization they are.

9. alliu23

alliu23 I'm a Yank til I Die

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LA.. always whimping out

10. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "You always choke when it matters...."

11. alliu23

alliu23 I'm a Yank til I Die

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    taken from Dodgeball:

"I guess if you didn't quit when the going got tough, you wouldn't have anything to regret for the rest of your life."

12. WbaQuakesFan

WbaQuakesFan New Member

Jan 12, 2004
    San Jose
    <--- You can probably guess i'm a little disappointed.

I had heard through someone who works for the Quakes that once the LA match fell through they might play up here, but I guess not.

13. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LA could have shown them the best in own goals.

14. sonofapitch

sonofapitch New Member

Feb 11, 2002
    Novato, CA
    LMAO....outstanding! We would be happy to play them and I love the postgame plan, too.

I also utter a hearty "AMEN!" to yalpstel's observation about damaging the U.S's already flimsy standing in international footie circles.

15. living_ded_boy

living_ded_boy New Member

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca

Yeah well.......I'm sure West Brom would probably love to play SJ if they didn't now hate our owners.....the same ass-wipes who snubbed them in favor of Real Madrid. Pure class AEG......pure class.

16. losgatosfan

losgatosfan New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    AEG was trying to get WBA to agree to the Quakes taking the game instead of the Galaxy.....that's not going to happen now, because WBA has filed their grievance and have cancelled their trip. Maybe it would have worked out if the Quakes weren't owned by AEG, as pointed out here.

Haven't heard anything about any other International friendlies in the works for the Quakes......

17. living_ded_boy

living_ded_boy New Member

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca

The mere fact that it was after they were offered a match with Real Madrid is a slap in the face to WBA and the SJE organizations.....So AEG has basically slapped the EPL and themselves in the face......great.:rolleyes:

18. tomjedrz

tomjedrz New Member

Mar 28, 2005
    I think that even the EPL folks can understand why Real Madrid is a preferable team for LA to play. In reality, unless asking a purist, West Brom wha? is the response one gets when talking about them. On the other hand, every semi-serious fan knows Real Madrid, and they will certainly excite more in latin Southern California.

HOWEVER, the real problem here is the apparent double dealing and lack of integrity exhibited by someone in the Galaxy or AEG organization. Assuming the WBA exec is truthful about the assurances they received, the Galaxy should have kept the deal with WBA and figured something else out with Real Madrid. It may come back to bite them as well .. is a non-major team likely to waste time even talking to them next year?

Question -- are there rules about how many of these exhibitions that US teams can play? Would playing both WBA and RM been allowed?

19. DevilDave

DevilDave Member

West Bromwich Albion/RBNY/PSG/Gamba Osaka/Sac Republic
    United States
    Sep 29, 2001
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    West Bromwich Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I said most of what I had to say about this topic over on the West Bromwich Albion board...

I would add, though that had LA been more forthright with Albion about a possible friendly with Madrid, perhaps Albion might have been more amenable to coming up north instead. Instead, the club's chairman was so offended that he wouldn't entertain any alternatives from AEG. Which is too bad, because I would have been the first in line if Albion were playing at Spartan. :(

OH BTW if I can go on a bit of a tangent in this NQR thread...

Does anyone know of a soccer shop in the Bay Area/Sactown/northern San Joaquin Valley that does English Premier League lettering & numbering? I just received these replica shirts from WBA and would like to get letters & numbers & shoulder patches. The only place I know of that does this sort of thing is down in SoCal, in Pasadena.

20. FAS

FAS Member

Jun 5, 1999
    Los Gatos
    It would be sweet justice if Real pulled out and scheduled a game with WBA instead.

21. CARLOS1

CARLOS1 Member

Aug 9, 2001
    Sunnyvale, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In San Jose of course !!

22. SJtotalfootball

May 26, 2004
    The Hayward Fault
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The more crap the galaxy send me about the Real Madrid match, the more $ signs I see for AEG. First was the email for the opportunity to "buy" spots for

4 Water Kids - $500 for 1 Child, (Child gets to be the water kid for real Madrid for half the game and the LA Galaxy for Half the Game)

14 Ball Kids - $250 for 1 Child (Child gets to stand behind the field boards and throw the balls back into play)

Galaxy Giant Jersey (Must Purchase 30 Real Madrid 2 Game Packages) Packages start at $65 per

Private Real Madrid Closed Door Training Session
    For $30 you get a pass to a Real Madrid Training Session in the Home Depot Center and a corner ticket to the Sept 4th Galaxy Game.

and today

The Los Angeles Galaxy announced that beginning today the club will be auctioning off an exclusive opportunity to participate in the "Dream Team" for the upcoming Galaxy-Real Madrid match on July 18 at 7:30 pm at The Home Depot Center. Imagine walking out on The Home Depot Center's pitch in front of a sold-out crowd of 27,000 side-by-side with David Beckham, Real Madrid and the L.A. Galaxy during the starting lineups.

Among the 18 spots that will be auctioned off on E-Bay, fans will have to opportunity to bid specifically on the chance to walk out with three select players during the starting lineups, side-by-side with either David Beckham, Ronaldo or Zinedine Zidane.

And the kid has to buy a ticket to the match. I wonder what the price of the WBA water kids and ball kids would have been?

23. FAS

FAS Member

Jun 5, 1999
    Los Gatos

OMG what a deam :D

OMG wahhhh, Momma, i had the worst nightmare :(