[NQR]Anyone going to the World Cup in Germany?

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by SeamusBrewer, Nov 9, 2005.

1. SeamusBrewer

SeamusBrewer New Member

Jan 22, 2003
    SF
    As of now I have tickets to 2 games (1 in Munich & 1 in Stuttgart) and was wondering if anyone else is planning on making the treck?

Also wondering if anyone has any advise for traveling in Europe. Neither my wife or I have ever been so were trying to get as many tips as possible. We'll be spending about 2 1/2 weeks in Italy and then going to see the 2 games in Germany. Then we left open the last 8 days of our trip to try and get tickets to a couple more games.

Anyone have any advise on London, Rome, Venice, Milan, Florence, Flying to and in Europe, the Eurorail, Books on traveling Europe, Munich, Stuttgart, other German cities where games are held, Amsterdam, hostels or hotels.

2. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you ask someone a question, and they don't understand you, just speak a little louder. Most Europeans are hard of hearing.

;)

I'm planning on going to Germany, assuming I can get tickets (hey, do I need a ticket for a two-month-old? The FIFA site says that everyone needs a ticket, but to apply for tickets, you have to provide the name and passport or other identifying info, and he/she does not have a name or passport yet...). I lost out on USA tickets in the first round of ticketing. However, the USSF just sent info on how to apply for their stash of tickets in December, so I'm going to try that.

I have not traveled extensively in Italy, so I can't offer much help there. But I've been to London and Munich a couple of times. I have friends in Luxembourg so I'm hoping for some USA games in Cologne or the other cities nearby, that would let us crash with them.

3. supersport

supersport New Member

Oct 17, 2001
    San Francisco
    I don't have tickets yet, but I still plan on going. Europe is pretty easy, even for the first time visitor. Trains are the best (IMO) way to get around. Italy's rail system isn't the greatest though. Rome, Venice, and Florence are all must see locations, Milan has some good high end shopping and is home to the Worlds greatest team AC MILAN, not the other one. But it really is more of an industrial city. If your traveling long distances between cities, say 8 hours by train, take the night train. its not a great nights sleep, but you can save a few bucks on a hotel. Also, don't be afraid to stray from the tourist areas, you'll find better food, better prices, better service. Most Europeans tend to still like Americans, some things they do better then we do, some things they don't, just remember its thier country. Hit the Food and Travel forum for great info on specific cities.

4. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    I might be going. Probably going to end up just looking for tickets to the US games when I get there.

5. littau

littau Member

Jul 28, 1999
    37.3509 N 121.9371 W
    No advice here, but I'll be going with my seven year old son. I'm counting on the USSF allocation for my tickets, by the way.

6. SJ Cabrito

SJ Cabrito Member

Jul 27, 2005
    Sac-Town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Make sure you wear white sneakers and shorts around town. Especially while visiting all the historic religious sites in Europe. They love that. You'll fit right in :)

Seriously, no plans to go to the WC. I went to Euro 2004. I had a great time but it took a lot of planning and I just didn't have the will (or the money) to put together another trip like that this year. Have fun!

My only tip is to not look a tourist, and don't carry valuables within sight. Definitely don't carry a wallet, especially in Italy. Not trying to scare you, but pick pockets and petty thieves (and hookers) love these big events in Europe.

You'll enjoy your trip more by walking everywhere and staying out of the tourist "traps". Especially when it comes to restaurants and accomodations.
    Definitely invest in a travel guide like "Frommer's".

7. JMichaels

JMichaels New Member

Feb 17, 2003
    If you carry a backpack, sew a Canadian Flag on the back.

8. JMichaels

JMichaels New Member

Feb 17, 2003
    If you contact the US Embassy/Consulates in the major cities, they can suggest hotels for you and dining in cities that you may be going to.

9. billward

billward Member

Oct 22, 2002
    El Cerrito, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Get the Rick Steves guide books and watch any relevant episodes of his PBS shows on the area you're visiting.

10. SeamusBrewer

SeamusBrewer New Member

Jan 22, 2003
    SF
    Any thoughts on exactly how strict they are going to be about the tickets to the games. From my understanding when Fifa sends you your tickets they are going to have your name printed on them and you are going to have to show ID that matches the ticket to get in.

Like I said I have tickets to two games so far, but in case neither one of them turns out to be too see the US, then I'm going to have to try and figure out something. Going to try and get some through the US Soccer Fed, but in case not I'm thinking about buying them from a ticket broker.

About a month ago I called Razor Gator because they were advertising tickets and asked them. The guy on the phone just kept telling me 'don't worry about it, it will be cool, & it will be fine.' Which in my opinion isn't the responce I was looking for when I'm spending about $600 to $1,000 on tickets to an event half-way around the world.

Then I got to thinking about how long it would take everyone to get in if they had to show their ticket and ID to get in. But then again, tis not wise to question German efficency.

11. SJ Cabrito

SJ Cabrito Member

Jul 27, 2005
    Sac-Town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At the Euro last year my name was printed on the tix. Friends of mine had traded tix, bought tix from brokers, etc. We were warned by UEFA that they would check i.d. at the gate.......they never did.

12. willykirk

willykirk Member

Jan 6, 2004
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    check out the yanks in germany yahoo group. you have to ask to be invited, but they've got every topic you asked about covered.

i'm planning on going, though waiting to buy tickets in Dec, and the friends i thought were going with me have probably dropped out which means I'll hope to hook up with folks along the way. i may end up staying near bad hersfield at the www.worldcupcamping.de site. only 10 euros per nite/per person and there's a soccer field where you can play games against other fans from all over too.

13. chowhog99

chowhog99 Member

Sep 26, 2002
    Pass the Tissues
    doing opposite. Germany first then Italy. Staying in Germany for 7 days to catch games in Stuttgart, Frankfurt and/or Kaiserslautern. Then take a day-train to Northern Italy (to see the ALPS of course) to visit Florence, Siena, Venice & Portfino.

No soccer tickets yet, but I have my air booked. I must STRESS that hotel route is going to be TOUGH. All significant hotels are booked (heard because all those Package WorldCup folks are still betting on charging you $14k for room/airfare & tix -- they could potential open up the closer we get) , hostels & elder hostels booked SOLID. I am Trying the pension route, with my wife & pre-Kindergarten. Also contemplating staying in Trier because there may be more openings.

Flying into FrankFurt, departing from Milan.

In 1996 I bought tickets outside stadium in France down in Montepelier & Marseille. I got kicked out of Marseille because the tix I bought outside stadium were part of the batches that were stolen (remember that?), so halfway through the 2nd half that F-king French kicked me out. AT least I already bought a t-shirt, hat. After that Holland vs. Argentinian game, I took a train with most Latin Americans who were eager to go to a country who spoke their language. Met lots of Americans, Latin Americans and even Ran with the bulls. Then I got back in time to see the Final in Paris.

With the WorldCup in Germany, doesn't mean the party is only in Germany. I must say that the biggest & wildest party I ever participated in was in Pamplona during the World Cup 1998. CRAZY FUN. Lots of WorldCup fans who took the trip to the event.

Rick Steves is the bomb. Pack lightly, you can always by something there. It is hot in June/July in Italy. We are carrying luggage that can be a backpack, or dragged on wheels. Don't isolate yourself in staying in hotels. I have met friends 8 years ago that I still keep in touch with by staying in pensions & specific hostels.

One thing to keep is mind is that everything is much closer there than here. And as another poster mentions, its good to say you are Canadian

14. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    Yeah, that'll look great with the US soccer gear I'll be wearing. :rolleyes:

I seriously hate people who go to Europe and tell people they're Canadian. Every time I see someone do that I really want to punch them in the face. That or swap their return plane ticket for one to Montreal.

15. willykirk

willykirk Member

Jan 6, 2004
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    then how about a green day 'American Idiot' tshirt?

16. dk_dynamite

dk_dynamite New Member

Jan 27, 2003
    SF via London
    Definitely going to the WC next year, despite losing out on the lottery and having my plan B (Cameroon) fail to qualify. I am now hoping for USSF or the FIFA 'second chance' priority to get me through. If everything fails, I will just try to scalp tix when I get there...

As for tips, I would recommend the Lonely Planet as the best guide book. It's honest about what's good and what's crap. Language should not be a problem in Germany...

Good Luck!

17. dk_dynamite

dk_dynamite New Member

Jan 27, 2003
    SF via London
    Ditto for the WC in Korea. They printed your name and passport number on the tix to make them non-transferable, but one of the guys with us used a scalped ticket and never got checked...

I think the main reason for that is to prevent those bus tour scam artists from buying bulk tix and hocking them... they are pretty cool about the average joe offloading a pair of seats to an irrelevant game... they just want full stadiums at that point.

18. billward

billward Member

Oct 22, 2002
    El Cerrito, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Language in Germany -- if you're doing what the guide books say and going to the smaller towns and staying in the smaller hotels you will at least need a phrase book and should practice the basics of German pronunciation. Also if you want to ride buses you should know how to say the numbers in German so you can ask for help finding your bus.

As for getting around on German trains DB has a great site for directions. Enter a starting and ending point and it will tell you in English where to go, what bus/train to take, etc.: http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

19. supersport

supersport New Member

Oct 17, 2001
    San Francisco
    Right on, that whole "I'm Canadian" thing is bvllshit. Your not going to get your ass kicked, or even hassled for being an American in Europe. You may get an occasssional rude glance, but that's about it. If you act decent and show a some respect for your host country(s), you should have nothing but a great time. Another tip, the typical American tourist is fairly easy to spot, If you don't want to get noticed as one, pack light and buy most of your clothes there. Its nice to pack light anyway, less stuff to lug around on your arrival. I usually show up with just carry on, and buy another cheap suit case before I leave, for the stuff I purchased during the trip.

20. Stinkey Turner

Dec 15, 2000
    about 4 of us going from SF.

21. damone1

damone1 Member

Jul 20, 2000
    NORTHERN CALIFORNIA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously. That's such BS. If you can't stand up for who you are, you might as well replace your passport with a block of tofu.

The only places in Europe where being an American is actually dangerous are equally dangerous for other white Europeans and Canadians as well.

22. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do people actually do that? Like does anyone really know anyone who has done that? I thought it was just a joke. :D

23. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    ...which, if it's good tofu, will actually get you into Japan. :)

I agree with you, though maybe people were just kidding about the Canada thing. I've been to Europe several times and never had a problem, except for little things like the store owner in Paris who didn't like it when I pulled a single banana off the bunch ("the customer is always right" does not always apply in Europe), and the skinhead looking German guy who kind of gave me the staredown when I came back to the youth hostel after curfew.

24. Stinkey Turner

Dec 15, 2000

Agreed. Besides it being a pansy thing to do, you derpive your oppourtunity to show the rest of the stereotyping world what a twat they really are.
    -Korea 02, met some Korean kids outside the stadium in Suwon and talked for a while. After about 15 minutes of pleseantries we exchenged addressed. Upon seeing the country , they said with literal awe., "You're American??? But how come you're so nice!" :rolleyes:
    did I mention I was in full US Attire and we were playing that afternoon?

25. UrawaRed

UrawaRed New Member

Dec 19, 2000
    Kiyose, Tokyo
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Aw, gee. Too bad. I was thinking of having a large picture of George W. Bush pasted on my backpack, with the caption, "We Love You, Our Prez!"