NPSL History Game of the "Week" Montreal Impact at Cleveland Crunch 11-9-97

Discussion in 'Pro Indoor Soccer' started by Joey Tee, Mar 22, 2020.

1. Joey Tee

Joey Tee Member

Newcastle United
    United States
    Apr 12, 2010
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I went there…the NPSL has landed! Good ole multipoint scoring. For all of those not familiar with this, you are talking about three pointers beyond the arc, 2 points for every even strength goal during the regular run of play and 1 pt goals for shootouts or powerplays. Get yourself a blue card and watch an immediate shootout against your side. This obviously brings the scoring up every game so remember that when you see the final score. The NPSL is at this point the fall league while the other boys a lot of us watched were in the summer CISL league. I always did like the game ball in this league but not as much as the rocket red in the MISL. Cleveland has several MISL vets in Otto Orf, Zoran Karic and Hector Marinaro and some names and youngsters several of us will remember in John Ball and Tommy Tanner. Marinaro and Karic are simply deadly together and Marinaro uses this league to rewrite the scoring records for all time. Cleveland fans have largely supported their franchises in indoor most notably the Force but they still bring in good numbers in the NPSL and play at the CSU Convocation Center. The field is smaller and the play is fast! There is a ton of cussing at the refs, so listen close as Tanner dishes out some gems from the box. The coverage on this tape starts about halfway through the 1st, but it’s 0-0 anyway. Halftime interview with Commissioner Steve Paxos. You will not believe the end of this one…get your popcorn ready!

Enjoy!

TEE

firesting81, mjames1229 and Scooge repped this.
  2. Inddor Fan

Inddor Fan Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Great game.
    What was the goalie doing on that last 3 pointer???
    Keep em coming please.....Thanks

3. Kit

Kit Member+

Aug 30, 1999
    Herkimer, NY, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Back in the days of the power play disadvantage where you can only score one point but the short handed team could score 2 or 3 points.

4. mjames1229

mjames1229 Member

Sep 26, 2006
    West Allis, WI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NOW we're getting somewhere.

Frankly, the fuzzy, soft-pallet memories of the original MISL have been played out. The quality of succeeding leagues (especially in the 25 years since MLS began) may not meet the Segota/Zungul/Radosavljević/Pecorari standards. But there have been a lot of great games played by great teams.

Despite the scoring system, indoor soccer is indoor soccer and if you love the sport, then you'll love the games regardless of era, players or league (especially those amateur Chicago leagues).

So please... find and keep posting NPSL, CISL, MISL2 and 3, etc.

Joey Tee repped this.
  5. Joey Tee

Joey Tee Member

Newcastle United
    United States
    Apr 12, 2010
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Every game I own will be posted one day-I hope! Hang in there for more of your favorite flavors...

firesting81 repped this.
  6. firesting81

firesting81 Member+

Jan 16, 2001
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    With no live sports, I’ve needed these. Thanks!

I grew up watching indoor at the zenith of the NPSL and the dawn of the CISL. My favorites are the old NPSL on ESPN2 broadcasts, and especially the CISL on Prime/Fox Sports Net. I think that I’ve exhausted all the YouTube videos of the latter (thank you, @kenntomasch). I MIGHT have a 1996 Detroit Neon game on VHS somewhere.

My top 5 favorite views...

1) Detroit Neon
    2) Detroit Rockers
    3) Chicago Power
    4) Detroit Ignition
    5) Any CISL broadcast on Prime/Fox Sports Net. (The opening FSN credits still get my adrenaline pumping.)

Joey Tee repped this.
  7. Inddor Fan

Inddor Fan Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I agree, I've seen everything on YouTube.
    I'll take whatever you have for us to watch.
    Thanks

firesting81 and Joey Tee repped this.
  8. firesting81

firesting81 Member+

Jan 16, 2001
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Agreed! Even the 1997 game on Fox Sports Net when Tatu waxed an injury depleted and struggling Detroit Safari. Or anything from the Sidekicks on FSN or the 1993 CISL championship team. Loved watching games from Dallas.

Joey Tee repped this.