NPSL coming to Cleveland

Discussion in 'NPSL' started by savetheforce, Aug 23, 2010.

1. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe the opponents are playing well?

2. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not even that. The other teams aren't that much better than last year. For whatever reason, the team doesn't seem to be blending this year. It shows on the field.

3. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What? Really? When you win the conference/division tournament, you have a target on you. You better be ready to play with that target. Other teams have prepared for that and Cleveland probably has not.

It definitely seems that FCB has improved. DCFC has always had the personnel to be the top team. Erie is solid all the way around, nothing extremely wow-ing.

But, the shocker has come with Sparta beating Cleveland twice...

4. Dave Hogg

Dave Hogg New Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    I have absolutely no idea how Sparta beat Cleveland once, much less twice. They are atrocious.

The weird thing is that Cleveland played really well in Detroit, facing the best team and the biggest crowd in division history, but have been terrible the rest of the season.

Zanesville's bad and Sparta is a disaster, but Buffalo appears to be better, Erie's solid and Detroit's at a different level with Kevin Taylor. He's too good for this league, as is Knox Cameron for 45 minutes a game.

5. soccerpost123

soccerpost123 Member

Aug 21, 2012
    So, can someone answer me this. WHY does AFC keep playing the same team game in and game out. AFC's coach has not changed his goalie or his back line, and are giving up 3 goals a game. No changes to the starters have been made. I am surprised they can keep getting fans to go out when they are unable to get wins. Their 2 wins this season are against the expansion Zanesville team. Does anyone have ANY insight as to why the club isn't making changes. Would love to see more than just 2 wins this season

6. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think anybody knows. It's been frustrating. Seems like everyone moved forward while we didn't this year.

It's even more frustrating to see how many people in Cleveland would rather watch a game on TV than go out and support our local team.

7. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so does your attendance happen to be way off? Not a wind-up, I'm just curious...I thought that I heard you had 850 or so at the last home match???

8. soccerpost123

soccerpost123 Member

Aug 21, 2012

It is frustrating, but after seeing all the guys that AFC signed this year, which there were quite a few new faces, I don't know why he hasn't played them. There are number of Div. 1 college players sitting the bench and he has Div. 2 and 3 players playing ahead of them. Vinney Bell is the only one from the lower schools that should be starting.

I can't blame the people for not wanting to support the team. You have to be a consistent team, which so far this year we are not. But I guess we will see if there are any lineup changes in the next game. Just don't know why you would keep going with the same starting lineup if you get the same result each time.

9. soccerpost123

soccerpost123 Member

Aug 21, 2012

I didn't make it to the game last night but it said 850 people attended the game. Which is a lot for a team that is 2-1-6

10. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Great Lakes Division is a LOT stronger this year. DCFC is tough. Erie is strong. Buffalo completely revamped from top to bottom. Sparta did shock Cleveland.

I have a feeling that Cleveland came out thinking they were going to have their championship like they did last year...without ever having to actually play any games. I know, I know...that probably wasn't the case -- but that can be the mentality of some championship teams. The team now has to play with a target on its back instead of playing as "just another team." It's a whole new competitive atmosphere.

Heck, even having another team in Ohio adds new flavor to the Great Lakes Division.

11. Owen Thornhill

Dec 22, 2012
    Club:
    Cork City
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...073741838.116928251713388&type=1&l=6474473313 Great publicity with the facebook page, some people give out about the NPSL clubs that dont do well and barely get anyone at games but Cleveland seem to be doing things right, if more NPSL clubs are run this well then the reputation of NPSL will improve. I would like to see more expansion especially in the north west. Oregon Washington should be capable of having a conference.

12. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My blame is more for the local people who walk around in Arsenal and Chelsea shirts who talk a big game about being a soccer fan but then won't support the hometown team. It just gets frustrating. I understand the casual fans not going when the team isn't doing well, but it gets frustrating to see people who'd rather sit at home and watch a game on TV rather than experience it live.

MLSinCleveland and CapPixel repped this.
  13. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no idea how we lost to Sparta, let alone twice. They aren't a better team than we are. It seems to be more of complacency.

And yes, the division is significantly stronger this year. No doubt about that.

That could be it, I don't really know. Or it could just be that the other teams are better than we are.

Zanesville hasn't added much other than giving 3 points to pretty much every team.

14. soccerpost123

soccerpost123 Member

Aug 21, 2012

We were only 4-7-1 last year. We did get lucky in the championship match IMO last season. So I don't know why the player's would feel superior than the rest of the league when we finished third, but they might have. We will see how the team does today at 3!

15. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well, Zanesville did take Mikey McGlaughlin and Anthony Bahadur from you...so, I guess that is adding something else. Then, you throw in being able to recruit other players from Ohio too -- you look at who they have had on their roster, and there have been Cleveland-area players on there too. That is adding some competitiveness to the mix.

That will only increase with the rumors of the Cincinnati Saints and possibly the Pacesetters coming into the NPSL in the future. AFC Cleveland will only have that many more problems -- as will Zanesville. So, it does have more to do than "giving 3 points to pretty much every team" (even though they did beat Sparta and draw them, which you failed to do).

If I am not mistaken, last year, AFC Cleveland didn't lose? I thought they drew every game that they didn't win. Am I wrong? I thought they had a lot of draws? I know Erie won the regular season and Cleveland won the tournament. But for some reason I thought I remember that Cleveland ended up not losing along the whole season. Again, I could be remembering all wrong.

16. jord.inc

jord.inc Member

Dec 30, 2011
    Binghamton, NY
    Club:
    FC Aarau
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cleveland lost a match 0-2 away at Binghamton (I happened to be there).

17. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That was their only loss. I just found out. Their record was 4-1-7 (W-L-D). So, they did not lose again until they were defeated in the NPSL postseason tournament.

18. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #368 msilverstein47, Feb 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2014
    DELETED BY MODERATOR - ToS and Copyright Violations

19. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jesus Christ, will you take your spamming elsewhere? Or are you just going to keep posting entire articles without even linking to the author?

Don't bother responding, we know the author.

20. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I know Gary as well...I will ask him right now if he has a problem with my cut and paste of his NPSL press releases. I'll let you know his reply when I receive it.

22. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It DOESN'T MATTER IF HE HAS A PROBLEM WITH IT.

It's against the terms of THIS COMMUNITY.

Why can't you get that? Why doesn't that sink in?

Why do we constantly have to go 15 laps with you on these things?

SoccerPrime and MLSinCleveland repped this.
  23. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still a violation of BigSoccer rules, still a copyright violation.

You'd think you'd learn that by now.

MLSinCleveland repped this.
  24. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and I will ask him if my cut and paste of his NPSL press releases are subject to any copyright violation, if so I will apologize to him and to you. But I still don't believe that it is...

25. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is still a violation of BigSoccer rules. How hard is it for you to understand?