Nowak's post-Chicago comments

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by cherno, Apr 27, 2004.

1. cherno

cherno New Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Charlottesville, VA
    Bergin's got an article up about Nowak's reaction to the Chicago match;

http://ussocceruk.com/news/?CatTypeId=2&ContentId=1571

Basically says that he's confident that we'll start scoring goals again soon. This quote caught my attention though;

"Right now, we have to try to find the best combination - Jaime (Moreno) with Freddy (Adu), or Jamie with Ronald (Cerritos), I don't know. We have to realize that we can not stop right now; we have to keep working on it, and making this better."

Does this mean Nowak's planning on benching Alecko? Or is he just blowing smoke keeping opposing teams guessing as to the lineup that they'll face?

Cherno

2. Cantankerous

Cantankerous New Member

Apr 15, 2003
    United country
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, that caught my eye too. It certainly sounds like he isn't pleased with Alecko's lack of scoring, esp. given the number of chances he's had.

That said, I wouldn't put it past him to try to confuse our opponents! ;)

3. elconejito

elconejito Member

Dec 24, 2002
    Where Homer Lives
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i dont understand why he doesn't like esky....

this isn't the first time he has expressed displeasure with him

4. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    He must hate American youth in favor of foreigners - Cerritos, Adu (naturalized American), and Moreno.

:rolleyes:

:D

5. Cantankerous

Cantankerous New Member

Apr 15, 2003
    United country
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he's pushing esky to produce more. He wouldn't keep starting him if he were completely dissatisfied. Esky is getting his share of chances, but he needs to start scoring on some of them.

6. elconejito

elconejito Member

Dec 24, 2002
    Where Homer Lives
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i dont know that pulling him every match after 50-60 minutes is exactly pushing him. It looks more to me that he can't wait to get him off the field. I think its also a slight indictment against ronald and Adu that they can't displace him just yet.

I'm not saying its the wrong move to make... actually, yes i am. it seems to me that we lose more than we gain when freddy comes on for esky. it seems to be a general consensus on the boards that adu should sub in for jaime when he (inevitably) gets tired. I see alot of good things in esky's game and reasons to leave him on the field, but nowak seems like he cant wait to get him off, and now he doesn't want to start him, and i dont think its just for the sake of getting Freddy the start. I'm just curious as to what about esky's game nowak doesn't like?

7. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    You sure you don't already work for our front office? :D

8. Cantankerous

Cantankerous New Member

Apr 15, 2003
    United country
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except if Nowak were just sitting there on the bench itching to pull Esky, I don't think he'd start him.

I think it might be time to try the grand experiment.

Starting forwards: Esky, Fred
    Then sub in Jaime at min. 60 if the kid can't go 90.

Try this for a couple of games and see if Jaime's tricks can get to a fatigued defense. I think he could be deadly coming off the bench knowing he can go all out for 30 min.

9. BroonAleMagpie

BroonAleMagpie New Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    My thought too.

I *LIKE*! That could be just the ticket...

10. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cantankerous, I think you're on to something.

I have a feeling that Esky could turn out to be not so much a great striker as a great partner--the sort of forward who can open up space, make strong runs, hold off defenders, etc. I'm not saying he's there yet, but I just have a feeling.

I have to admit, I'm biased towards Esky, and I don't really have a good, clear reason why. I just like the kid, and still think he's going to turn out to be a good MLS player.

11. TCompton

TCompton Member

Oct 21, 2002
    Alexandria
    My take on the Esky situation is that between the two of them, Alecko and Moreno, Moreno is clearly the more productive one. That doesn't mean that Alecko is doing a bad job, he's just not finishing (or even creating) chances as well as he would need too. Moreno on the other hand isn't really scoring goals, but he's been a bigger part of creating the attack. If Cerritos goes in and starts finishing those shots that Alecko has put into the side of the net or couldn't quite get his toe on, then that's who we'd go with... The same goes for Freddy, although, from what I've seen of Freddy is that he's more of a Moreno type of player... or at least wants to be.

12. Cantankerous

Cantankerous New Member

Apr 15, 2003
    United country
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's kinda what I had in mind. Other players on our team who might fill that particular role are Cerritos, Martins, and Quaranta. I think Martins is the strongest (physically) of the three, and it's a shame he and Q1 are hurt. On the other hand, by the time they are ready, Freddy will be more seasoned and better able to use his teammates.

To use an analogy to the Nats, we could use a big strong target forward in the mold of a McBride, and now, Casey.

Just do me a favor and nobody mention Niall Quinn! ;)