Now we end it: Am I the only person who DIDN'T think Royal Tenenbaums was amazing

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Daniel from Montréal, Aug 1, 2002.

1. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I thought it was pretentious and unfunny, with the director using "quirky" characters and situations to hide the fact that the movie is pretentious and unfunny.

Am I the ONLY ONE who thought this?

2. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    The dog end of a day gone by
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    No, it was a crap movie.

3. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    It's a Texas movie, so obviously you Yankees and Yankee-in-laws (that's you, montreal) won't "get it."

4. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin
    I will admit it pettered out at the end. But all Wes' films are great.

I must grudgingly give it but four stars.

5. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I loved the hell outta this movie. I read interviews with Anderson afterwards where he was talking about JD Salingers Glass family. Watching it in that context makes me like it even more.
    Now David Lynch, there is a pretentious director.

Ismitje repped this.
  6. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Re: Re: Now we end it: Am I the only person who DIDN'T think Royal Tenenbaums was amazing

So he stumbled a bit with "Firewalk with My Ego."

Give the guy a break.

7. Dolemite

Dolemite Member+

Apr 2, 2001
    East Bay, Ca
    Royal Tenenbaums is great. just watched BottleRocket (wes anderson's first movie) again today, and man that thing is funny

8. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    Lots of people felt similarly about "The Royal Tenenbaums" being subpar from Mr. Wes. It had some moments, but the whole thing felt episodic and contrived. Way too many characters and quirks to care about any of them. "Rushmore" and "Bottle Rocket" are both superior.

At least "The Royal Ts" is a flawed early work from a young and impressive director. He'll have more hits than misses I think.

9. phats_away

phats_away Member

Jul 28, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    tenenbaums was one of the best movies on 2001

10. FulhamRev

FulhamRev Member

Nov 1, 2000
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty dead on. "Rushmore" is my favorite movie. But Royal Tenenbaums didn't really do it for me. There was just something a bit smug about the whole thing...

11. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    Re: Re: Now we end it: Am I the only person who DIDN'T think Royal Tenenbaums was amazing

Just wondering, but how/why did this change your view of the movie? I had known about that context going in, and it did nothing for me (and I was a big Salinger fan back in the day). The Glass family in Salinger's novels had much more depth and feeling from what I recall, than the Tenenbaums. I think RT needed to be about 3 hours to do justice to the various characters and relationships.

12. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bingo, that's the exact way I felt about it. Rushmore was great, imho, but The Royal Tennenbaums was just an average movie. One that I wouldn't even watch on cable. It just didn't do anything for me.

13. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From start to finish I just wanted to punch my friends for talking me into seeing that movie. It sucked and was a total waste of $15 (had to pay for the girlfriend too.)

14. eneste

eneste Member

Mar 24, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I loved all of Salinger's Glass book ("Franny and Zooey" is the best!) and I thought that Royal Tenenbaums was the best film I saw last year. I can see why people think that it is ostentatious but that's probably the same reason why I like it so much. The scene with the tennis player in the bathroom cutting his beard with "Needle in the Hay" playing (don't want to give too much away) was great.

15. Khansingh

Khansingh New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    The Luton Palace
    Royal Tenenbaum is, in my opinion, the best character Gene Hackman has ever played. That's considering Popeye Doyle and Norman Dale. I found that the humor was more subtle than Rushmore, the kind of funny that you find in Metropolitan.

16. El Toro

El Toro New Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Fountain & Fairfax
    It was criminal that Hackman was overlooked for an Oscar nomination for 'The RTs."

It was also my favorite movie of last year. The DVD is amazing, with interviews of all cast members, running commentary by Wes, a "making of" special and even an interview with the artist that painted those wack paintings in Eli Cash's apartment (hint...they were not painted for the movie...)

I can see where some people wouldn't like it. My boss walked out of it. Those people tend to like more normal and accessible fare.

17. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Liking the RTs doesn't make you elitist, you know?

I still think the movie tricks people into thinking its good.

18. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that was one of the things that bothered me about the movie, the characters, whether Royal, Ben Stiller's little carbon copies, Luke Wilson or the others, they were all great. Its rare that so many great characters pop up in a movie, yet the final product doesn't come near what the sum of its parts should have been.

I sum RTs up as great characters, waste of a movie.

19. El Toro

El Toro New Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Fountain & Fairfax

So I've been duped, tricked eh? They pulled one over on me.

20. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    This I agree with. Why I'm ticked is because this movie looked to have so much potential and ended up kind of bland.