Now there are four teams ahead of us to get a SSS

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Sandon Mibut, Sep 23, 2003.

1. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    We know about Dallas and the MetroStars are allegedly supposed to make an announcement any day now and the Fire are supposedly close, too.

Now, the Rapids are announcing they're aiming to have a stadium open by 06. Meaning, DCU which used to be able to boast the best stadium in the league because of RFK's accoustics and pitch quality, will be one of the few teams - along with the Revs, KC and Quakes - stuck in an old dinosoar that is too big for its use.

I'm not saying anything earth-shattering here, but the club needs to stark making some progress - real progress, not "we're looking at options in the 'burbs" but actually pick a site and start digging, and soon.

Let's face it, the club is getting dicked by the stadium authority in myriad ways and is bacially treated like Bobby Goldwater's bitch. If it's not the feet-dragging because of baseball, it's the crappy lease that charges the team too much and doesn't give it any - or very much - parking and concession revenyues or it's botching, constantly, the day-of-game operations which alienates fans, both regular and potential newbies.

We used to be one of the league's forerunners both on and off the field. Now, the team is finally becoming respectable on the field again but we've fallen way behind other teams in terms of off the field stuff, namely the actual field.

It would be one thing if the we were owned by an NFL team and had to play in their stadium. That would suck but at least that model makes economic sense.

But, United isn't so there's no reason it's still letting itself get dicked around by the city. It's time to force their hand and do something that force them to get the ball moving. If that means playing at FedEx Field or at Ludwig Field or in Richmond, something needs to be done to force the city to move.

Because, it seems, the city is more than happy with the status quo and unless the club makes thing change, nothing is gonna happen and we're going to be one of the teams stuck in a crappy stadium with a crappier deal.

Every time a new SSS opens up, it's one more place US Soccer has to play a friednly or qualifier other than RFK, one more place other than RFK to play an MLS all-star game or MLS Cup, one more place to have summer European exhibitions besides RFK.

Yes, for really big qualifiers, there will always be a place for the 50K-plus stadiums but with the new ones like we've seen in Seattle and Houston, not to mention Arrowhead, Gillette, the Orange Bowl and the big stadia in LA, there is plenty of competition for that too. We used to always get the men's national team to play here once a year. This year, for the first time since 1994, the men didn't play at RFK. And, that's only going to continue with all the new venues opening. Hell, even Rochester has a 20K planned stadium that is supposed to start being built very soon and will provide comeptition.

And I haven't even mentioned expansion. Chivas is rumored to be planning a stadium in San Diego after the play at Qualcom for a while and any expansion team in 05 will either play at a new SSS (Cleveland, Oklahoma) or a new NFL stadium (Houston, Philly).

I'm sorry to rant but it's frustrating seeing all these other markets getting stadiums - though I am happy for them and MLS - but it sucks to be a United fan and schlepping to a dump like RFK, especially when you know you and the team are getting screwed by the city and that most of the other teams in the league have or are about to have a much nicer place to play.

2. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Not to mention the recurrent rumors about a major Spartan Stadium overhaul and remodel in the works. There's talk about widening the field, adding a second deck on the east side and - who knows - maybe even a roof. So that place too could be added to the SSS list one day.

3. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Re: Re: Now there are four teams ahead of us to get a SSS

Is this true? That would be amazing if it happens, and it would save them a ton of money, too.

And everyone else laughed when they said there could be 5 more SSS's in the league in the next 5 years.

4. halfnelson31

halfnelson31 New Member

Jul 23, 2002
    NOVA
    i have a question since the skins no longer play inn RFK who do u guys pay to rent the stadium? the city? p.s. prepare to get ur asses handed to u the next 2 games. ;)

5. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, i have basically said this same thing in 3 or 4 other threads. I'm extremely happy for the league ..... it'll make it more viable and ensure that we have any games at all to watch, 10 years down the line. However, this baseball issue is screwing us over, and i'm at the point where i hope baseball drops dead so we can seriously talk about an SSS here. as long as baseball dangles that carrot in DC, soccer fans here will get the short end of the stick!

6. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    If the MenstrualStars play as well as your grammar, we sweep. No problem :p

7. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam
    Re: Re: Re: Now there are four teams ahead of us to get a SSS

This was published in Soccer America's MLS Confidential newsletter last week:

3. SPARTAN RENOVATION. The capacity would be slightly increased by the renovation, which along with better amenities might help San Jose State University keep its Division I football status.

Spartan Stadium barely meets the 30,000-minimum capacity mandated by the NCAA and SJSU football attendances in past years have fallen well short of a recently adopted benchmark of 15,000 fans per game for Division I schools.

However, the folding of the WUSA deprives Spartan of the CyberRays' dozen or so home games and thus a renovation might not be cost-efficient unless sufficient events could be scheduled to make up for those dates.

Preliminary, speculative discussions -- prompted by the WUSA -- with AEG about taking over the CyberRays ran aground once the women's league's demise became apparent.

8. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Thanks, guamster.

9. Fuegofan

Fuegofan Member+

Feb 17, 2001
    Chicago
    So let's seeeee,

Columbus
    LA
    Dallas
    Frisco
    Colorado
    Chicago
    Harrison
    San Jose (refurbishment)

plus
    New England (sort of)

and
    KC should be remodelling

so, yes, DC, you likely have more than just 4 teams ahead of you. But just think, you can have the youngest stadium in the league when you get it, for whatever that's worth.

10. Most likely, St. Phil is saving the best SSS plans for last! ;)

11. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Same thing for our purposes.

12. eltico

eltico Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Although I suppose, technically speaking, RFK is a SSS because soccer is the only sport played there anymore. But we still manage to get taken six ways from Sunday when it comes to rent and concessions and parking.:rolleyes:

13. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A bright side to this is that the AEG group is now down to 5.

And with LA, Metro, and Chicago either with a stadium, or well on their way to getting one, there'll potentially be more AEG resources (human and $$) to put into SJ and DC stadium projects.

14. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    Congratulations to the Rapids fans.

Great news for MLS.

Patience.

ps-While the Revs play in an oversized stadium, it is a brand new stadium. They even sell Guinness there!

pps-to the person who doesn't have a clue, there are 3 games coming up. I wonder what your excuse will be after the 3 games. DEATH TO THE METROstars!

15. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    First all the attacks about our player development and now these banal attempts to highjack the stadium thread...Getting tired of bemoaning your own teams inadequacies?

As for RFK, this is DC...why would you think that the little guy (i.e. DC United) wouldn't get screwed? There is a building on Cap Hill and one just a bit up Pennsylvania Ave. that have people whose sole employment consists of screwing the little people. And make no mistake they are in charge of DC not this non-crack smoking guy named "Tony" Williams. Moving to the Suburbs just means that someone else will take advantage of DC United.

Until DC United gains some serious clout financially (i.e. an independent owner, 30,000+ person fan base, and loads of sponsorship), the team will be fighting an uphill battle to get noticed - that is from TV, Government, Newspapers, etc... I am pleasantly surprised that the team gets as much attention as it does with regular articles in the local newpaper, english and spanish radio coverage, most games on TV, and post-game blurbs on certain local TV news outlets.

16. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amen to this my brother. however, i do think we have a pretty good fan base. the big reason we have been screwed here is because of the carrot being dangled in the face of DC (baseball). hopefully, now that baseball has screwed DC again, the city will move forward with the sport that actually wants us .......

17. eltico

eltico Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Washington Wizards attendance
    2002-03: 20,173*
    2001-02: 20.477*
    2000-01: 15,577
    1999-00: 15,039

Washington Capitals attendance
    2002-03: 15,787
    2001-02: 16,493
    2000-01: 15,534
    1999-00: 14,480

DC United attendance
    2002: 16,519
    2001: 21,518
    2000: 18,580
    1999: 17,419

The asterisk on the Wizards is for Jordan years. I mean, for crissakes, I went to two games last years to see the man play, and I never go to Wizards games. Also, I assume 2001 for DC had qualifiers or other internationals that artificially bumped up the attendance.

So, that said, the Wizards sans Jordan draw a little over 15k a game. The Caps roughly the same, maybe closer to 16k. Toss the 2001 season for DC, and DC is getting 17k a game. Yes, RFK can hold far more than MCI, but it's not as if people are begging for tickets over there on 9th St.

I dunno about TV ratings, but it seems that DC draws a similar, if not larger, fan base than either the Wizards or the Caps.

I agree with onefineesq that we need Portland or Charlotte to grab the Expos and Selig to announce no new expansion, then we have a shot at a new SSS. Until then, though, it won't matter that DC gets excellent fan support even when the team is mediocre at best. Goldwater can hem and haw all he wants about DC not being that well supported and it not justifying a SSS, but until Boswell and his cronies become so despondent that they give up hope for a baseball team coming to DC, we're screwed unless revelation wins the lottery and doesn't spend it all on beer.

18. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe Goldwater will be gone soon..a replacement hasbeen named I think. More than likely the SSS will be in MD. Unless they plan on destroying that Race Track :rolleyes:

19. joshdcu

joshdcu New Member

Jun 29, 1999
    Washington, DC
    The attendance comparisons between DC United, the Wizards, and Capitals are interesting.

However, it should also be pointed out that, while DCU has a generally higher average attendance, the other two teams each play over 40 home games a season and charge much more for tickets. So, one could argue that the Wizards and Capitals fanbases (or maybe just general interest/support for basketball and hockey...) are in fact stronger because people are shelling out more money for more events. (Of course, without Jordan, the Wizards may have to pay people to come see them next season...)

Also, DCU's average attendance so far this year is 15,483, so not really better than the other two teams.

That said, I think DC United's support is basically strong, and would probably grow to be even stronger with a decent, well-located, and well-run stadium (in addition to, most importantly, a consistently competitive and exciting team).

I wish that the DC Gov't would recognize that support, but who knows if they will. Whatever happens, though, I really hope that Goldwater gets the boot.

20. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    Check the grammar in the lead post of this thread for glaring typos, et. al. Your pot can kiss our kettle -- for a price. :)

PS Try not to get confused by the gridiron garbage on the Swamp turf tomorrow night. RFK may be bad, but things could be worse -- like that long ride south knowing you are losers.

21. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    I guess I better win the big $300+ million Powerball instead of those small $50 million sized lotteries...otherwise, I'm sorry to announce that beer comes first... :)

The major difference between the Wiz and Caps and DC United is the ownership and recognition of the leagues they play in. NBA is a major force in the sports world and NHL is at least considered a league that is solvent. MLS is still struggling to prove that they will be here in 3 years...

When Abe or Ted say, "we're going to do X unless DC does Y." they actually have the clout to back it up. If S. Zach says the same thing, the DC Sports Authority just laughs at him (probably not to his face but you know 'inside'). It will be that way until the league is 'established' and a big fat cat owner is here in DC dolling out 'favors' and 'requests' like the other guys...

22. B-Striker

B-Striker New Member

Sep 10, 2003
    Northern VA
    maybe I'm just too easy but I don't see anything wrong with RFK when it comes to the soccer field, or the atmosphere and view from the stands ... what would the major benefits of a SSS be given RFK as the alternative?

23. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't RFK a soccer specific stadium with good sight lines, a decent pitch etc. Is it really the end of the world for the fans?

24. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    About RFK - let's be honest. It's not a soccer specific stadium. It's an out-dated municipal multi-use (read baseball and football) stadium that's been abandoned to soccer. Soccer specific stadiums are designed for soccer. RFK was not.

What are the benefits to a new stadium? Better control of revenue, parking, concessions to name a few. A more appropriate seating capacity. Perhaps not having to deal with the DC stadium authority anymore. Maybe better training facilities will be part of the package too. I’m sure others will chime in with more.

And as for the atmosphere, yes, it would be very different than RFK. But I've gotta say that I've now gone to a couple games at HDC and seeing a soccer game in that stadium is tremendous. You just can't compare a soccer game played in an overgrown municipal stadium and a soccer game in a place like HDC. That’s not a dig at RFK per se. I agree it has its charm. But it’s just not the same thing as seeing a game in a real soccer stadium.

As I've said before, if Ol' Phil or anyone else is willing to build a stadium for DC United then you’d have to be crazy to shun the offer in favor of remaining at RFK.

25. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a forty year old baseball stadium that they managed to put football into. We're merely lucky that a soccer pitch is similar in dimensions.

It has OK sightlines, but I'm sure the feel of the game would improve if seats at midfield were closer to the field.