Now that we have the Quakes back... fess up!

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by LeeS, Jan 24, 2008.

1. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why? Patriots rule. Accept it and move on. Tom Brady is a footballing god, and local boy to boot. Nuff said.

Seriously though, what do I need to explain?
    :cool:

2. billward

billward Member

Oct 22, 2002
    El Cerrito, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wanted our ex-players, especially those in Houston, to succeed. But when Houston's non-Quake players, especially Ngwenya, did well it did not please me. Still, I was there to cheer them on at two Carolina Challenge Cups and MLS Cup 2006.

I enjoyed watching Chivas and Red Bull as well, and the Beckham circus was interesting... I wanted him personally to do well and a few of the other newer Gals but wanted the veteran Gals and Landy to suck. It was hard to cope with, and I'm glad now I can just dislike the whole team and be done with it.

3. bigdumbgod

bigdumbgod Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    January 19, 2002. It was a fumble.

4. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish I had one of those smilies that is laughing so hard he's crying. This has been the Raiders fans "thing" for years now. They're still stuck in January 2002 while their team has been to a Super Bowl since then, blown it, and then sucked it's way into oblivion. GET OVER IT!!!!! The tuck rule may have sucked but that's the way it goes. Da rules, da rules.

Try focusing on winning now. You'll feel better, trust me. The Pats and their fans do :D. This is going to be great. The Pats will win the Super Bowl on my birthday, and 10 days later the Quakes play. Sadly I'll have to wait 3 years for the A's to be good again, but I'm patient.

5. Norteamericoya

Dec 24, 2003
    Chico
    We watched and rooted for the Dynamo. There's a bunch of us up here in Santa Rosa that had season tickets for years, and made a day of going to the games. We'd head south in time to get a spot in the lawn, set up camp and enjoy tailgating until the game started. Over the years we developed what felt like a relationship with the players. The team, the organization, and the idiots at AEG were irrelevant. We were invested in our guys.

When AEG stuck the dagger in our backs and took the team, for us it felt like the players were just as betrayed as we were. I fondly remember the retro day, playing in the old red uniforms, when the guys held up the "Keep us in San Jose" banner. That meant a lot to me. These guys didn't want to go any more than we wanted them to go.

So when they showed up a few months later in their orange jerseys, to us it was still "our guys", just playing over there. So we got the Direct Kick package and got the gang together at the house, and watched every game, rooting for our guys, who happened to be over there.

I'm going to be one of those that will be conflicted when the Quakes play the Dynamo, at least until I develop the same kind of fondness for our new guys as I had with the old team. It'll be a transition.

As for a confession... we did buy a Dynamo flag, which we draped next to the old Quakes flag for every game we watched.

6. bigdumbgod

bigdumbgod Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vat iz dish language u speek? Quakes/Raiders fans cannot kompry-hend zis much well.

7. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know, I'm an odd pedigree of US sports fan. A's/Quakes/Patriots. Makes no sense to the outside observer.

8. angra

angra New Member

Oct 10, 2001
    myfootongarbers'ass

I can't understand you ''sorta" liking the Scum. I do understand you feeling dirty. But did you feel "sexy"?

Me too. Can't wait to see Beck,LD, and the cockroach Ruiz. May the Circus never leave town!

9. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    WTF?

W?

TF?

W?

?

WWW?

10. bigdumbgod

bigdumbgod Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Feeling...dirty? [I kinda mini-heaved at that one as well]

11. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    Well there's dirty and then... I thought screwing the pooch was just an expression.

12. Jimbob

Jimbob New Member

Jul 17, 1999
    Washington DC
    well, I moved (temporarily) to D.C., so I've spent many a Saturday evening with United's Barra Brava, who are absolutely amazing

13. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Bah, they only rock the stands because their stadium is about to collapse.

14. Hyuuga Neji

Hyuuga Neji Member

Nov 20, 2007
    The Bay Area
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like I have to "fess up". While the San Jose were, are, and always will be the apple of my MLS eye, I watched plenty of MLS games.
    Now before I get hung like a heretic at a Papal convention, I have to explain my prioties.

For me, it goes as follows:
    1. USMNT/ MLS (league as whole)
    2. Quakes
    3. Arsenal

You see I'm concerned for the overall state of soccer in this country because of my love of the USMNT so in order to boost MLS ratings, I sat my ass down on my sofa and watched as many games as I could.

Look on the bright side, now I can give exellent scouting reports on the other teams.

15. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your dead to me.

I did the same that I did when the Quakes were here. Watched a lot of international games (EPL, La Liga, Seria A, Bundesliga). I would pick matches that I thought would be competitive. I do have some favorites such as Barca and AC Milan and every year I have a new team that I tend to watch (last year Sevilla, a couple years ago Villereal).

I didn't watch MLS games (except for a couple of Houstan games, primarily in the playoffs).

16. bigdumbgod

bigdumbgod Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dead people don't bug anybody (see Colma, CA). But the living dead...

17. clashcityrocker

Mar 12, 1999
    In the shadow of RFK
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I completed my gradual swing over to DC United, but I've been in DC since 2001. Of course, now that the Quakes are back, United gets relegated to second place, although I'll still root for them whenever they aren't playing the Quakes.

And just so you know, I wear my Quakes scarf every time I go to RFK.

18. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RedBull because I'm a New Yorker and I like Josy.

The guys on Huston, if not the team.

And yes, I enjoyed the Beckham Mania, and actually wound up admiring the filth for the run they went on late last season.

19. bigdumbgod

bigdumbgod Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stop that!!

20. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    2006: no one very much, but I did watch MLS
    2007: the Galaxy. They were so pathetic, which draws my sympathy, and they came oh so close in that final run. Plus they were on TV a lot, so it was easy.

21. xANOTHERxSTARx

Mar 4, 2007
    i watched a thursday night match... LAG vs Chivas USA.

actually... i watched only half of it... as much as i hate LAG, and as much as i enjoy them losing... i absolutely couldn't stand watching their horrid backline!!!

it was so terrible... i started to feel sorry for them........ :eek: (yes, thats how horrible it was........)

edit: and btw, the only reason why i even watched it, was because i luckily happened to turn on the TV, and it was on ESPN2, right before kickoff.

other than that.... rien.......nada...... nothing....

22. FAS

FAS Member

Jun 5, 1999
    Los Gatos
    Very well put, your disclaimer just about describes my feelings about MLS too.

I watched a few MLS games in the last few years but really didn't care much who won or lost. I watched far more EPL, about 4-5 games a week and hope to continue to that.

23. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    I think I had MLS-TV in 2006 and watched a few Houston matches. Didn't watch much in 2007 but I followed the standings a bit. Funny thing is that in early 2006 I was rooting almost as hard for Houston as I did for the Quakes. But by the end of 2007 I was actually rooting against them because it was a little too painful to see them get 2 championships in a row, and all the giddiness in Houston. Probably part jealousy and part of the typical "grief" cycle - denial, anger, etc.

24. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the end, as angry as I was at MLS, I am an American Soccer fan. MLS is important in for the National Teams and for the develoment of the sport in this country. I couldn't help but watch.

25. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, I don't think you felt sorry for them. I think you were more like me, watching and feeling embarrassed at what I was watching.