Now that I think about it, 8% sucks!

Discussion in 'USA Men: World Cup Fans & Travel' started by gngrasso, Jan 4, 2006.

1. gngrasso

gngrasso Member

Dec 16, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    My opinion: FIFA should give national organizations 15% to 20% of tickets, minimum. Wouldn't the excitement and atmosphere at the games be better if a larger percentage of the audience on both sides were die-hard supporters?

Either way FIFA sells the same number of tickets. Games are more exciting, and more of US are happy!

2. NBlue

NBlue Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Orlando, Florida
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While we're at it, I think that Christmas should come twice a year. In addition, money should, in fact, grow on trees. That whole IRS/taxes thing sucks as well, we should do away with that . . .

3. Wizhawk

Wizhawk Member

Jun 7, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The first suggestion wasn't a bad one. FIFA sells the tickets one way or the other. Why not give more of them to the home fans?

4. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I did not get my tickets through the USSF, so with the FIFA lottery, I am sure about 15% of the tickets go to the national teams fans, at least.

5. Shibb

Shibb Member

Feb 22, 2005
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't be silly. FIFA can't get their kickbacks from ticket brokers, travel agencies and sponsors if they give more to national organizations. FIFA gets to feed at the trough first. Then the national organizations get their turn. This is called politics.

:(

6. gngrasso

gngrasso Member

Dec 16, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    I don't know about that. In the first and second FIFA ticket rounds something like (according to FIFA) 85% of all orders for all games came Europe, and a very large part of that from Germany herself, that leaves only 15% of tickets going to the rest of the world.

I would think greater worldwide distribution is better for the host nation economy as well. More tourists in more restaurants and hotels = more Euros.

7. spoonman

spoonman Member

Sep 6, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    You guys are lucky, over here from the 8% half of it goes to sponsors of the national FA.

8. gngrasso

gngrasso Member

Dec 16, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    prolly does here too, we just don't know it!

9. NBlue

NBlue Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Orlando, Florida
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course it wasn't a bad suggestion -- but its dreaming. FIFA is going to do what FIFA is going to do and there is nothing we can do about it.

10. rksehga

rksehga New Member

Aug 13, 2002
    nyc
    I think something that so many tend to forget is that a ticket to a World Cup match is still a relatively cheap ticket - if you get it straight from an approved source. That is part of what fuels demand. FIFA should be lauded for even keeping it a possibility that so many of the posters here - the college kids and the similarly incomed - can even consider going to be financially feasible.

11. gngrasso

gngrasso Member

Dec 16, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    I agree with you, esp. when you look at the price of cat. IV tickets. And the fact that FIFA limits the purchase of Cat IV tickets means more people get to see games.

But, I really feel that too large a portion of FIFAs tickets winds up with scalpers despite their efforts to the contrary.

Selling more through national organizations would in my opinion make it MORE likely that fans (some with limited means) get tickets.

I think the Fed's process with password etc. was great! As far as I am concerned fed can make it even tougher to get tickets thru them. Like, you need to be registered with them a year before being able to apply. Charge moderate annual dues, etc.

12. GOOOOAL!!

GOOOOAL!! New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    and beer too! I just bought a house with a beer tree in the back yard. The house needed a little work, but the tree is worth it :D

13. gngrasso

gngrasso Member

Dec 16, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Depends. What brand is it?

14. nowherenova

nowherenova Member+

Jul 20, 2003
    Formerly Terminus
    Keep the dog away from that one!

15. Shibb

Shibb Member

Feb 22, 2005
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, you don't want to end up with Budweiser!

16. Kevin Etzel

Kevin Etzel Member

Jul 18, 2000
    New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The other side of the coin is the rationale that the citizens of Germany (who as taxpayers will be helping to pay for some of the stadium renovations and construction) should be able to buy tickets easily. Just another angle from which to view the allocation.