Now, stop linking us with every CB in Europe - LFC Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Suss, Feb 2, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
  2. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Jürgen Klopp an Liverpool sense an opportunity to pull off another transfer coup of a relegated player in the form of André-Frank Zambo Anguissa, who was omitted from Fulham’s first Championship matchday squad as he pushes for an exit.

After seeing star Andy Robertson go down with an injury, Liverpool are set to keep Neco Williams in and around the squad for this upcoming campaign.

Southampton are being linked with a loan move for Liverpool’s Takumi Minamino ahead of the new season.

The Reds are also keen on signing young talents who will see their value increase over the years and Liverpool look to continue that with a move for Dutch youngster Xavi Simons amid reports that PSG are set to host a fire sale.

3. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    if I'm understanding the rules (??) we need to replace foreign-born with homegrowns, soon, to give ourselves some elbow room.

what I mean is -- as it is now, we can't bring in any foreigner without selling one at the same time. this really restricts our options i.e. we don't want to be in a "must sell" situation or a "must promote a h-g youth" to keep the numbers in check.

I think. or maybe we can keep walking the fine line? no idea how other big clubs numbers shape up. I'd guess we're not alone in this?

4. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    #879 speker, Aug 11, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2021
    Each Premier League club have submitted a squad list for the 2020/21 season.

Each squad contains no more than 17 players who do not fulfil the "Home Grown Player" (HGP) criteria.

The rest of the squad, up to a total of 25 players, must be "Home Grown".

Each club squad list is below as well as an additional list of each club's registered Under-21 players who are eligible over and above the squad limit of 25 players.

This was ours last season.

25 Squad players (*Home grown)

Alcantara Do Nascimento, Thiago
    Alexander Arnold, Trent*
    Barbosa De Oliveira, Roberto Firmino
    Becker, Alisson Ramses
    Gomez, Joseph David*
    Hardy, Joseph*
    Henderson, Jordan Brian*
    Henrique Taveres, Fabio
    Keita, Naby
    Kelleher, Caoimhin*
    Mane, Sadio
    Matip, Job Joel Andre
    Milner, James Philip*
    Minamino, Takumi
    Origi, Divock Okoth
    Oxlade-Chamberlain, Alexander Mark David*
    Phillips, Nathaniel Harry*
    Robertson, Andrew
    Salah, Mohamed
    San Miguel Del Castillo, Adrian
    Shaqiri, Xherdan
    Teixeira Da Silva, Diogo Jose
    Tsimakis, Konstantinos
    Wijnaldum, Georginio

5. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    This was City's last season. Only 20 players submitted.

25 Squad players (*Home grown)

Aguero Del Castillo, Sergio
    Ake, Nathan Benjamin*
    Carson, Scott Paul*
    Cavaco Cancelo, Joao Pedro
    De Bruyne, Kevin
    Dos Santos Gato Alves Dias, Ruben
    Fernando De Jesus, Gabriel
    Gundogan, Ilkay
    Hernandez Cascante, Rodrigo
    Laporte, Aymeric Jean Louis Gerard Alphonse
    Luiz Roza, Fernando
    Mahrez, Riyad
    Mendy, Benjamin
    Mota Veiga De Carvalho E Silva, Bernardo
    Santana de Moraes, Ederson
    Steffen, Zackary Thomas
    Sterling, Raheem Shaquille*
    Stones, John*
    Walker, Kyle Andrew*
    Zinchenko, Oleksandr

2020/21 Premier League squads confirmed

6. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Keeping him around is not a bad idea. He might get a few games here or there to give Trent a rest. However, if Trent was to pick up an injury, and we needed a long term solution at right back, I doubt it will be Neco. I think Milner is a much better option, and there are other midfielders that could do a job there.

If Milner isn’t getting playing time in midfield, I could see Klopp throwing him in at right back to get him in the team. Milner played really well there last season. There was a game against Leicester where he was excellent at right back. I don’t imagine Neco will see much game time this season.

7. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    interesting. looks like they had no more h-g players ready for the first team.

8. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    we'd be nuts to let him go right now.

9. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    just came across this re: squads .... did not know the hilited bit ...

Clubs are required to name eight homegrown players in their Premier League squad if they wish to select a full quota, while four of those players need to be club-trained when it comes to selecting a Champions League squad.

A club-trained player is defined as a player who, regardless of his place of birth, has been registered between the ages of 15 and 21 with his current club for a period of three entire seasons or 36 months.

Last season Liverpool only boasted three such players in Trent Alexander-Arnold, Joe Gomez and Caoimhin Kelleher, meaning they were only able to name a 24-man squad for European competition. However, if Woodburn remained on the Reds’ books this season, he would enable Klopp to name a full 25-man squad for the Champions League this season, having been with the club since the age of seven.

10. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I think they likely had a number of U21's as part of the squad who didn't need to be added because of age.
    Foden for one.

11. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    yeah, similar to us and Rhys for example. but why would City not just add them to the 25 (which they had room for)? not sure I get that ..... otoh not sure I really care :)

12. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I read this on City's squad for last year.

The ‘A list’ can comprise of up to 25 players with a minimum of eight locally trained players, of whom four must have come through the club’s own ranks between the ages of 15 and 21.

As City don’t have any club-trained players that are required to be included in the A list, their maximum squad size of 25 is reduced to 21.

Scott Carson, John Stones, Kyle Walker and Raheem Sterling are all classed as locally trained players.

Neither Phil Foden or Eric Garcia are named on the ‘A list’, as club-trained players under the age of 21 do not need to take up a spot in the main squad. They are instead on a ‘B list.’

The ‘B list’ is made up of players aged 21 or younger with two years’ training at the club. That can be updated any time up to midnight before a Champions League match.

13. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    weird that their description of player eligibility is not from the Prem site - they are using UEFA terminology eg "locally trained players" ....words that don't appear anywhere on the Prem site which uses "Home Grown".

I think I'll stop worrying about this now. :)

14. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Wingtips1 repped this.
  15. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that’s a kind of terrible return on a deal for a player that still has a lot of quality.

SamScouse repped this.
  16. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I agree. we paid about 16mill euros in 2018. but I guess we need to clear the decks + the market is weird + he's not in our plans + he really wants to move on. he'd do well in France.

17. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I think the problem is his wages. While he’s not one our highest paid players, he is still making a Liverpool wage. A French team is not going to be able to afford a big transfer fee on top of the wages of someone who is pushing 30 and is not all that reliable. At the same time it is just as important for Liverpool to get him off the wage bill and free up a non-homegrown spot as it is to secure a transfer fee.

Then you have the clubs at the bottom of the Premier League who we would normally sell our players to. They also are not looking for a 30 year old on high wages when there are bargains to be found all around Europe.

soccershaggy and newterp repped this.
  18. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I think the market has changed a lot since then. The days of getting 20 million for Dominic Solanke, 30 million for Christian Benteke, and another 30 for Mahmadou Sahko are over.

19. Menace2Sobriety

Menace2Sobriety Member+

Aug 12, 2004
    Washington DC
    I’m sure there would be add-ons as well. Given the various circumstances, extra foreign squad option, and the Utd game…totally ok.

If true - I wish him all the best. Our household loves him.

20. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is probably the answer

21. oikos

oikos Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Glastonbury, CT
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't give him away. I'd rather have him coming off the bench than Origi. Unless we have someone coming in to take his place.

22. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Harvey.

23. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Now shift Origi too.

soccershaggy repped this.
  24. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Xherdan Shaqiri has agreed personal terms ahead of his potential move to Lyon, but the two clubs have not yet negotiated a transfer fee.

He is expected to earn just under €90,000 per week for three years at Lyon, as the club look to replace the creativity and goals of Memphis Depay.

(edit: I wonder if the fee we're seeing is low but contains appearance add-ins?)

25. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Virgil's contract extended to 2025. Good !!

Suss repped this.