[NOVA] Judgment Day: Intelligent Design on Trial

Discussion in 'Spirituality & Religion' started by Ombak, Nov 12, 2007.

1. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if you dont think the silly-ness is a global affliction then you are sadly mistaken.

unforunately.

2. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dude, along with your other posts I've read recently I'd be dang happy to light up a spliff and talk all night. :p

3. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
  4. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they would only predict a continuation of the drought, then I'm sure the heavens would open up within a matter of hours.

5. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My seemingly intelligent father-in-law has bought this line. I tried explaining to him the unlikelyhood of this happening...ever. For some odd reason I hold less way. Must be because I bang the shit out of his daughter. Makes me feel better thinking that, anyway.

6. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
  7. topcatcole

topcatcole BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glad I popped into the forum today - I hadn't seen this thread. Checked the listings, and shonuff, WOSU is showing this today at 11AM. Logged into my MythTV server, and set up the recording. I love technology. I just found out about a show I didn't know about via the Internets that starts in two hours and won't be shown again over the next two weeks... and I won't miss it, or work. Awesome.

9. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    A dry year will produce exceptionally sweet and flavorful grapes, but I'm not sure an extended drought could be a good thing for wine or if exceptionally sweet necessarily means the wine will be better at the end of fermentation. Nonetheless, the scuppernongs in NC were fantastic this year with the drought.

10. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why not? Is a speech, a belief, or an idea rendered neutral in your opinion simply because it is old? Why? Listen here; we Americans have bedrock beliefs, on religion, faith, politics, and the most basic ideas of modern man that date from earlier times: they are still very much valid. The best example of a speech transcending generations would undoubtedly be the Sermon on the Mount (AD 30), words from Jesus Christ on a hill near Capernaum giving way to the faith that Christians practice today. The example of the 1215 Magna Carta Libertatum is also case in point; not so much a speech but a charter setting up the foundation of constitutional law - common law - we have established today. Indeed, the basic idea of democracy, that was the genesis of our U.S. Constitution, was signed in Providencetown Harbor on November 11, 1620 and it set the foundation of our government as an extension of "the Glory of God and advancement of the Christian Faith." That is one of the reasons why any allegation of this government being or having within it a "separation of Church and State" is complete fiction based on this earlier 1620 social contract. Nonetheless, it is to such beliefs, now hundreds of years old, that we Americans still hold in high honor, despite their age. Their power is still immense and their appeal widespread; matter of fact what speeches are given today lack the force of time that these earlier speeches and acts hold true.

11. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  12. topcatcole

topcatcole BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WE Americans? Oh that's right, I forget that I am not an American in your view because I live in the nation's capital.

Was that speech about the "invade other countries and force them to have the same kind of government as you have" part, or the "kill them before they kill you" part. I think YOU need to read the Sermon on the Mount and see how much it is reflected in modern day "Christianity".

As you say, "not so much a speech" since it wasn't a spech at all. You really should learn more about the documents you clam to put so much credence in.

You forgot the speeches about "taxation without representation". I wonder why?

13. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it should have been Cretaceous Park, but who cares, right?

14. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We should resurrect that Ray Comfort/Kirk Cameron debate thread.

15. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BTW, that image is now my desktop background.

16. NMMatt

NMMatt Member+

Apr 5, 2006
    For real: "Blessed are the meek." When's the last time you actually met a "meek" Christian?

17. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the Greek word that's translated "meek" in Matt. 5 has little connotation of what we now think of as "meekness". Jesus was meek (Matt. 11:28), but he took a whip and drove the moneychangers out of the temple court.

18. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So "meek" in ancient greek means a guy who endures flagellation and likes bustin' shit up?

19. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no. it doesn't mean that. it means gentle, mild, humble. but it doesn't mean that a person neglects standing up for what he knows to be right. it doesn't mean being a doormat or enduring abuse.

20. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    Don't y'all know? Turn the other cheek is also mistranslated...conveniently.

21. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    neither phrase is mistranslated. understanding what they mean requires looking at what is being said in context and seeing what the scriptures say about the same ideas in other places. and finally, you have to be willing to put aside your preconceived notions and not rely on your own idea of wisdom and force the scripture to conform to your preferred concepts.

22. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis

:rolleyes:

23. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...:p...

24. NMMatt

NMMatt Member+

Apr 5, 2006
    So "meek" in ancient Greek meant "meek." I still have yet to meet a kind, gentle and humble, i.e. "meek" Christian.

25. NMMatt

NMMatt Member+

Apr 5, 2006
    True, and blessed are the poor in spirit really meant blessed are the CEO.