Notes and Quotes by John Dyson September 10, 2003

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by shawn12011, Sep 10, 2003.

1. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Question asked about trading for an allocation in the off season.

Ray's response

"But it is a thing, depending on what happens to Marco this off-season, if he chooses to retire; we will get an allocation there. We'll have to see what happens there."

"If Marco does decide to retire those would be very big boots that would have to be filled."

Hint, Hint? If the coach doesn't want you...

Thx,

Jay!

2. BroonAleMagpie

BroonAleMagpie New Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    That's good news (if true); not all of us were sure we would get an allocation if MAE just retired.

I also have to wonder about
    Has he stencilled the badge on Punky? Does Punky have a tatoo? I can't see Ray making Punky wear one of those little doggie-sweaters... :)

And, in the realm of the Blndingly Obvious
    . They are both the two best Salvadoran players on the team and the two worst Salvadoran players on the team, seeing as they're the only Salvadoran players on the team. :)

3. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    "For the first time in several years, it looks as if the team has become more important than the individual players."

I hope you're right John!

Also, it's a lot of fun to read what Hudson has to say about the quality of atmosphere we generate at RFK.

4. Leaving aside the rather disturbing image of Hudson's dog somehow emblazoned with a DC United crest, this does raise an interesting question. Once Cienfuegos retires, we will be, as far as I know, the only MLS team in the country with Salvadoran players. So, next year, will the anti-DC Salvadorans:

1. Take their disaffection to even more absurd levels by continuing to come to LA games and booing DC, even with two of their compatriots dressed in black and white out on the pitch

OR
    2. just stop going to MLS games and follow the ES league on satellite

OR
    3. bury the past and start to follow DC United again.
    My guess is that a decent number will take the third option and start coming to the games. We won't get the numbers that come to the LA games (we never actually did get that many at a single game in the pre-RDA-leaving days), but I can see 2-3 thousand extra being feasible, especially if the team makes a decent playoff run this season.

5. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Regarding the Sallies dislike of DCU, I think a big impact will be when Marco retires, particularly if we still have Ronald and Q2.

The Sallies I've talked to - in the RFK parking lot, janitors in my office, guys I play pickup with near my house - seemed to indicate feeling dissed when the club traded RDA and kept Marco and Jaime.

While it was clearly the right soccer move, the Sallies' perception is that the club chose Bolivians over a Salvadorean and they feel insulted by that.

Perhaps if the club has two Sallies and no Bolivians AND they are the only MLS club that has Sallies AND they are a playoff team, the Salvadoreans will stop hating DC.

Or, perhaps they've become so accustomed to coming to DCU games and booing the home team that nothing will change!

6. Dave Brother

Dave Brother New Member

Jun 10, 2001
    Alexandria
    Nice read, thanks. I think we're getting our stuff together at just the right time to really bring it in a run for the "Double". I honestly think we have a real shot. With the addition of Martins, it'll add a guy no other team had matched up against. Element of supprise if you will.

ps. Ray, gimmie the number of Punky's tattoo artist. I need to get some more work done. ;)

7. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hudson sure does go on and on, doesn't he?

He gets me fired up just reading him.

In also find it interesting that he says it's been the mose "hellacious" year since 1980, when he was captain of the Strikers. Must be a lot of stress he's under.

8. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I was trying to figure that out too and I've decided that Ray must have been wearing something with the shield on it while he was walking the dog.

... but a DC United dog collar would be a cool thing to sell (hint, hint) ...

Anyway, JayRockers!, why do you think that's a such a big hint about Hudson wanting Etch to retire? I didn't read so much into it but I'm wondering what you saw there.

9. albionroad

albionroad Member

Aug 26, 2002
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "It's going to be . . . I don't think it's over confidence, I just think there's a feeling of 'bon homie' - good vibes."

I'd really love to hear Hudson say "bon homie" in person.

10. CrazyDCFan

CrazyDCFan Member

Mar 31, 2002
    Henan, China
    better than sex? now Ray....I can smell a lie from here.

11. Dave Brother

Dave Brother New Member

Jun 10, 2001
    Alexandria
    No man, it's the pants. ;)

12. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Just another great piece. The journalism we get is always good, but lately it's just been superb.

13. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Absolutely we need them! They fueled the fire. Obviously the Screaming Eagles, Barra Brava, and La Norte, they're just fanatics! They bleed 'Black-and-Red.' It's that ground swell of people that's getting better."

:D

14. GrillMaster

GrillMaster Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A great read, Dice! IMO one of your best written pieces.

GM

15. rmacc3ng

rmacc3ng New Member

Jul 18, 2001
    Winston-Salem, NC
    i'm sure they enjoy being referred to as sallies too...

knock it off man.

16. American40

American40 Member

Jan 9, 2003
    So Reyes is out for the year? Did I miss this before?

17. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was gonna guess he had an actual editor, or he didn't write it, he had Mike's wife do it - the grammar was too good ...
    ps love ya' Dice ;)

18. eltico

eltico Member

Jul 16, 2000
    He was declared out for the year when the team decided to open up the roster spot to sign Martins. Doctors said it's just as well for Reyes to go back to Honduras this winter, rehab the knee, then come back ready in the spring.

19. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Another great article Dyson, thanks again!

Two things that stand out to me in this article are that Hudson admitted he doesn't know jack about college players or the draft, and that Hudson is doing all he can to link Etch as the reason Eliseo wasn't playing ... man, could he incite that horrible misconception any more?

The more I learn about Hudson the less I like him as a coach. I hope he puts it all together for DC United ... but I'm losing faith in it ever happening.

-Digital

20. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    Great report Diceson!

"the goals and the celebrations - in there. It's better than the highest high. It's better than drugs. It's better than sex"

21. JAnderson14

JAnderson14 New Member

Oct 5, 2000
    Crofton, MD
    These were the two things I was going to mention.

22. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Digital, you and I agree on it being good, after that ......
    I don't see anything Ray said that insinuates anything about Marco keeping Q2 on the bench, and the more I hear/read about Ray, the more I like him as a coach. I still like him better as an announcer (or a drinking buddy) just 'cause he can be more honest that way :) He does a good job matching GrillMaster and I beer-for-beer too.

23. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    The way I read it was that he feels Etch has been a positive influence on Eliseo, and has driven him to become the player he has been for the last month or so.

24. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    That jumped out at me, too.

That's fine that he delegates. I have no problems with a macromanager. But, what accontability is their if Trask has the team tame Stokes and passes a Dunivant or take Carroll and passes a Ralph.

Is Ray saying "John, you really blew it by having us pass on Ralph four times"? It just begs a question about accountability.

Also, if Trask is handling all of the college scouting and the draft, it raises yet another question as to what, exactly, it is that Dave Kasper does that requires a full-time job.