Notes and Quotes - 02-07-08 - Simpson, Wells

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Diceson, Feb 8, 2008.

1. Diceson

Diceson Member

Dec 21, 1999
    Notes

During the morning Shaquelle Phillips and Julio Arjona joined the club in the morning. Kpene and D’Ko sat out nursing dings.

The entire day seemed to be a day for the goalkeepers as time and again Wells, Carvallo, and Thorpe stoned the field players on shots.

In the morning the team concentrated on creating better communications through small team, 6 v. 6, squad game on a 1/3rd size field. Again, the amount of competition continues to grow.

Some highlights:
    - The scrimmage started out almost immediately with Carvallo making a point blank stop against Mediate. And things continued to in that vein minutes later as Martinez first stripped Emilio then charged forward. Yet again Carvallo made an acrobatic save.

- Franco Niell shows that size doesn’t matter as he muscles through a challenge by Pat Carroll and fires a goal.

- Carvallo again! Gallardo pinpoint through ball finds Emilio. His shot is on target, just inside the frame, but Carvallo touches it wide to safety.

- The youngster Julio Arjona drives down the left flank with speed and the ball sticking to his foot like glue. Into the corner, where he is met by Peralta, but the kid manages to round on the vet and slice in a beautiful cross, but it comes to nothing.

- Fred looks to Samba Pat Carroll and twists him into the ground. A short cross into the middle finds Gallardo all alone for an easy tap in.

The afternoon started out with several iterations of strength and fitness training, sometimes referred to “Goodies’ Badies” in honor of physio Brian Goodstein. In general, there are approximately eight stations, such as rubber bands, weight balls, and other various objects to lift, twist, stretch, and workout with.

The team then went through another walk-thru, but this time on the offensive side of the ball. Soehn & Co. stressed the importance of switching with long diagonals. Likewise, the coaches were looking for quick ball movement in the shorter distance, particularly within a distinct triangle between Simms – Gallardo – and left and right wing player.

The day ended with the team split up with goals approximately fifty yards apart. One player would launch a long distance pass from one goal towards the other. The second player would one-touch a control pass back to the first. The first player would then one-time shot on goal, with the understanding that the shot must be outside the box.

Although several field players showed their metal with outstanding drives, the day belonged to the keepers as time and again they stoned shot after shot. Wells is certainly ready for his shot at the start. Although there may be some rough edges, I believe that they could easily be smoothed out prior to the start of the season from simply playing enough scrimmages.

Carvallo is a physical freak. Very much like Rimando he is extremely quick. Likewise, it looks as though his footwork is superb. He does have a touch of Jorge Campos, a bit of recklessness, as seen during the morning 6 v. 6 as he took off with the ball at his feet, only to lose it, which led to a goal against his side.

James Thorpe is also a find. Interest enough, Mark Simpson relates a story where he was as a guest coach at a camp several years ago actually showed Thorpe several lessons. Thorpe is a physically gifted player. The only apparent problem is that he has not faced professional level play. Without a doubt he is the best 3rd string GK the team ever held.

Quotes

Coach Mark Simpson

- How is the pre-season going?

“It’s been a little bit more relaxed. Don’t get me wrong, we’re still working hard, but instead of getting ready for CONCACAF in two weeks, we have six weeks. It’ a little bit more relaxed. We can take a little more time getting fit. We can get all the guys up to the same level fitness-wise. We have some time to do that. That, and everything else is going well.”

- It seems like the team is in a totally unique situation in that it has three new keepers. How is that affecting that specific position?

“Obviously you do your homework in the off-season. You try to get guys that were at least equal, if not better, than you had the previous season. I think we’ve upgraded in some spots in that regard. I’m happy with the three guys we have in camp. You could see today how good they’re doing with their quickness and shot stopping ability. Now we just have to work on the intangibles.”

- Both Wells and Carvallo look as if they are ready to start. Is this a keep controversy? Or just good competition?

“Throughout my career, whenever you’ve had two goalkeepers, with the amount of games that we have you have to have a ‘1A’ and ‘1B’. If one guy goes down, you don’t even bat an eyelash at sticking the next guy in. I think we have that situation. It’s a healthy competition. At no point have I ever considered it a goalkeeper controversy when you have two solid goalkeepers that can play first team games. In fact, I want my third guy pushing my first two guys. I go in with that every single day you have to win your spot. I never knew why the media calls it a goalkeeper controversy because it always healthy when you have one guy pushing the other.”

- How important is CONCACAF this year to the team?

“I think anytime that you get a taste of CONCACAF, and now with this group of guys we’ve gone in successive years, and to not come out on the positive side is just making us hungrier and hungrier. We keep getting closer and closer, even the times we’ve gone to Mexico. So, now the guys are starting to believe.”

“I can tell you that back in 2005, I can honestly say I looked at a couple of guys in their eyes and we had no chance at winning that game just based on me looking in their eyes. I’m not going to say who, but it was so evident. In the past couple of years, especially last year going into Chivas twice, it is only matter of time. I’m not going to say it is going to happen this year. I don’t like making predictions. We’ve learned from experience, and we’re going to go in prepared, not only individually, but as a team as well.”

- Other than fitness what is the biggest hurdle for this team at the moment?

“I think it’s just filling spots that we feel that we need more depth in. The fitness thing is more or less just getting everyone on the same page. We have different levels of fitness here and we have to gauge our training on that. Sometimes that’s not the best where you have guys at different levels because you can’t gauge your training on that. Some guys have to be pushed more and some guys have to be held back. That’s the tough part right now, just getting everyone on the same fitness level.”

“Then it’s just getting everyone used to each other. There are going to be times in the past where we were able to read each other with plays and runs, and that might come right now. At least we have those six weeks to get those plays down. That and fill in those spot for depth.”

- Describe the styles of Wells and Carvallo. Are they the same type of goalkeeper?

“It kind of reminds me of when we had Nick Rimando and Troy (Perkins). Hey were two excellent goalkeepers with a little bit different styles. Obviously with Jose there is going to be little bit of a communications barrier with organizing. He might feel comfortable if we end up playing the two Gonzalos in the middle of the park, but there are other English speakers on the field we need work with.”

“Zach has been around this league now. He has National Team experience, as does Jose as well. It’s good to have two keepers with their styles. It will be great this year. Starting point with the keepers, the whole goalkeeping corp, this year we’re ahead of where we were in the past, and I’m happy with that.”

Zach Wells

- How is pre-season going for you?

“Good so far. We’re just getting adjusted. Brushing on the Spanish and getting to know the guys. . . Just getting to know everyone. Overall, it’s a pretty good situation.”

- The trade came down pretty suddenly. What were your thoughts when you first heard you were coming to DC United?

“I was excited to come to a team with such a good tradition. Coming from Houston to DC was a pretty good move because we’re both playing in competitions that you want to play in because the team was successful the year before. All around I think it was a good situation and it gives me an opportunity to challenge for a starting spot, which is a better situation than I was in last year.”

- What do you think about the competition with Jose Carvallo?

“I think we have a different style, but we agree on the approach to the game. He’s been anxious to learn things from me, and I’ve been learning from him. When it comes down to it, it is the coaches the decision. We’ve just got to work hard and whoever makes the plays will end up playing. It’s not for us to decide. We’ve both got good work rates. With an opening like that, the spot that Troy (Perkins) left, you’re going to have competition. I welcome it. It’s a fun challenge.”

- What is your style?

“I don’t know how to describe my style, but I picked up a few things from Pat Onstad over the last couple of years. The main thing is to be solid, patient and not make mistakes.”

- Many of the fanatics believe there will be a big communications problem between you and the two Gonzalos. What is your take on that?

“It’s a bit of an issue. I feel that I’m pretty comfortable speaking Spanish with the guys, and I’ve earned some of their respect by sitting with them at lunch and conversing with them in Spanish. It is going to take a while. Everyone here is new, so the communications will be important. This is only the second week here and we’re looking to make strides in the next month so that we’re competitive in the Champions’ Cup.”

2. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You rock

I'm getting excited.

Any thoughts on the talent level, top to bottom, as compared to years past?

3. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    John, have we played all four in front of Wells or Carvallo yet?

4. Diceson

Diceson Member

Dec 21, 1999
    The individual talent level is higher, except for Olsen's slot. That being said, I'm not uncomfortable with giving McTavish or Mediate the opportunity throughout pre-season to win that slot.

5. Diceson

Diceson Member

Dec 21, 1999

Both have seen the presumptive starting lineup of Namoff, Peralta, Martinez, Burch. Although they did flip into a 3-man line during the U-23's match, I haven't seen it since. Also, the walk-thru exercises have been done using a 4-man defensive line.

6. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Namoff talked about switching between a 3-man and 4-man back for different opponents, I was curious if they'd tried it - thanx for clarifying that Diceson!

7. Diceson

Diceson Member

Dec 21, 1999
  8. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have I missed a post about the Odense match? Your look at what happened there?

9. United fury

United fury Member+

Feb 9, 2007
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow I didn't know Wells knew how to speak in Spanish. That is nice to know if Martinez and Peralta start in the middle.

10. Diceson

Diceson Member

Dec 21, 1999

I was out playing with some local radio friends of mine last night. I'll get my match report up sometime today

11. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't worry Diceson, just ask Bootsy if he's gonna be at work today making widgets for you :D

* I assume Bootsy makes widgets :)

12. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks. Lonnie's post makes me worry that I sounded demanding -- that wasn't my intent. Just eager.

13. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Glad to hear that Wells is taking the initiative with his Spanish.

14. jpeace121

jpeace121 New Member

Apr 12, 2004
    Richmond, VA
    Just wanted to say thanks Diceson. These reports are outstanding. Thanks so much for keeping us up to date.

15. Kosh

Kosh "We are all Kosh"

Aug 1, 2006
    Harrisburg, PA
    Excellent update. Anxiously anticipating your Odense update - I heard that Gallardo showed some sweet stuff in that match. Thanks Diceson.

16. highlander

highlander Member

Nov 9, 2002
    Springfield, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you very, very much for the update.

Wasn't Troy Perkins once a third string keeper for us? "Without a doubt he is the best 3rd string GK the team ever held" is high praise indeed when a previous 3rd string GK turned into the MLS GK of the year. Sounds like we are in good shape at that position.