Not This Again. Whitecaps may change name.

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by steven nevets, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    The question then is, do you think that Portland, jumping at the chance to name their team what they knew would eventually be the name anyway, will hurt their potential fanbase by doing it their way? I doubt it. But we'll see in 2011.

2. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    This sucks; it's like your dad taking you to pick out a car for your birthday, and then when you go to get it on the big day, he and the salesman make you walk around the lot, looking around, until you're almost apoplectic, before they finally bring out the car you picked. The suspense of waiting is not thrilling, I can assure you. I'd boo the crap out of the moron who suggested this approach when they bring him/her out on MLS Opening Night.

And if they don't use Whitecaps, I'd boo the heck out of the winner of the "name that team" contest (even if it's the marketing director's girlfriend), when they go onto the field to get their game jersey and free season tix, or whatever.

3. phreakydancin

phreakydancin New Member

Jan 13, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    My goodness a lot of you seem to have your panties in a bunch. Everyone just relax.

They WILL be called Vancouver Whitecaps FC.

4. Brian in Boston

Brian in Boston Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    MA & CA, USA
    A "marketing ploy"? Yes... absolutely. "Pointless". Hardly.

While the die-hard soccer supporters of Vancouver may well spend the next two years breathlessly waiting for the arrival of MLS upon the local sports scene, potential fans - as well as the local business and journalistic communities - are going to be consumed by the 2010 Winter Olympics for a significant period of time over the next 11-and-1/2 months. Hell, there will undoubtedly be a few months of post-Olympics debate over just what lasting impact the Games ultimately had on Vancouver. Let's just say that the remainder of 2009 and a good portion of 2010 will be given over to endlessly analyzing and dissecting the Games of the 21st Winter Olympiad.

Naturally, Mr. Kerfoot and Company don't simply want to cede attention in the local community to the Winter Olympics for a substantial portion of the next two years. After all, they're hoping to drum-up interest in the team amongst more than just the fan-base that exists for the current USL-1 incarnation of the Whitecaps, while simultaneously getting the local sports journos and potential marketing partners to think about more than just the Canucks and Lions. A "controversy" over whether or not Vancouver's future MLS franchise will carry-on the tradition of being branded with that familiar Whitecaps name - even a manufactured "controversy" - might well insure that the arrival of top-tier professional soccer in Vancouver doesn't slip completely off of the local radar. So, voila... we're suddenly exposed to the notion that the team's executives are open to hearing from folks who believe that Vancouver's MLS franchise should be named something other than Whitecaps.

Frankly, I'd say that there's approximately a 0% chance that Vancouver's MLS franchise will take the pitch with a name that doesn't include Whitecaps in some way, shape or form. Still, raising the spectre of such a possibility is a brilliant way to keep the arrival of MLS in Vancouver on the tip of people's tongues.

5. piltdownman

piltdownman Member

Jun 24, 2005
    vancouver
  6. AdamSoucie

AdamSoucie New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well put. If anything changes at all, it'll be the crest. IMO, the current one could use some work.

7. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

The current one is a piece of poo.

8. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    I'd like to see them go back to something closer to the one they had from '79-'84.

9. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. WhiteCapArmy

WhiteCapArmy Member

Mar 24, 2009
    vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    id say go with pg tips logo it is awesome instead of contracting out and getting a crappy one ie canucks they spent all that money and the fan made mock ups were 10x better.

11. vancouversoccerman

vancouversoccerman New Member

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver
    A friend of mine thinks they should get Tim Horton's to become their shirt sponsor, so they could be renamed the ICE CAPPS! :D

12. hipityhop

hipityhop Member

New Mexico United
    United States
    Jan 10, 1999
    Mission TX
    Club:
    SønderjyskE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No NO! Rename them the TimBits!

13. WhiteCapArmy

WhiteCapArmy Member

Mar 24, 2009
    vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    no the timbits is alrdy taken by Portland.

14. Black13

Black13 New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    This team has been the Whitecaps for so long I think there would be a fan revolt if they tried changing it! I'd be in on that revolt action. My team is Vancouver Whitecaps FC.

15. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I can not imagine a team in Vancouver not named the Whitecaps. It will be sad if it doesn't happen..

16. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    There's no good reason to change this name. I can't wait till they end the theatrics and make it official. Good on Portland for not going this route, though their financing situation is troubling.