Not the one we wanted: the Nemanja Matić thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ashur, Jul 31, 2017.

1. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    Not sure if it can be called a return to fitness. He has long been suffering from the degenerative, debilitating disorder of being Nemanja Matic. A constant battle between body and mind to see which can be slowest.

I don't know that Mou will take him when Spurs already have Eric Dier. We can only hope Juan Mata starts a charity drive for a donkey sanctuary, ideally one with a side hustle in the glue industry.

girrdib and Anonymous_United repped this.
  2. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Lol this post reminds me of the posting mannerism of another poster. Can't put my finger on who but it's definitely not what I usually expect from you

3. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    This is art. Do you have a twitter so I can credit you with this gem?

J'can repped this.
  4. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Manchester United FC, LAFC
    Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I’ll never shut up about how these clowns could have chased after Fabinho yet “the boss” wanted Matic instead.

5. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    Fraid not but go ahead and rip it off if you like, I've got more...

6. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    Sorry, that wasn't meant to sound as passive aggressive as it does. That's my disorder.

benni... repped this.
  7. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Sources today say we’re negotiating a new contract with him. Another case of asset protection.

8. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Gosh, Matic is way beyond salvage value and these feckers should learn basic accounting rule i.e an assets book value does not indicate its market value...FFS !

9. Red Jeph

Red Jeph Member+

Aug 26, 2006
    Chicago
    We have an option on him so I assume that’s what they’re referring to.

10. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...ws/man-united-transfer-nemanja-matic-17644487

What is being discussed in reference to Matic is triggering the option on his current contract, which the club has, not giving him a new one.
    As things stand and as we've seen this season, I don't think it's necessarily the worst idea. Don't see him being a regular starter when the injured players return but for depth purposes and to have as a possible option while we continue to build up our midfield (it probably will not fully be completely done by the start of next season).
    He proved serviceable in certain type of games and unless we have a midfield that is 6 deep going into next season, I have no issue keeping him around for another season as a backup/squad guy.
    Guys like Garner and Levitt in all likelihood will be best served going out on loan for the season, where they can gain valuable and regular playing time elsewhere (which they probably won't get at the club next season anyway).

11. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I think he's useless but given this club has a recent history of letting go midfielders without replacing them, I'd rather keep him simply because he's a body and the unlikelihood of replacing him quickly.

jnielsen repped this.
  12. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    We never learn.

13. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Extending him is dumb to begin with (despite a recent uptick in form). But if this means we don't get a proper 6 this summer then it's a giant mistake. We're a couple of CMs away from having a very good midfield. But McT and to a lesser extend Fred shouldn't be autostarts in a team looking to compete in England and Europe. But they are both very good rotation guys. Hell Fred might even be very good if given a proper 6 to cover him.

14. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    you're not learning either. this twitter account is full of trash.

that story isn't even on bbc's website. it's a made up rumour and nothing was confirmed anywhere.

you really should check sources before spamming stuff from this account

15. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    Ole was the one who broke the news yesterday. Likely not officially done yet, why it hasn't been announced by the major outlets but it looks like it's just a matter of time. The question now for me is whether we've just picked up the option that we had on him or given him a new deal outright.
    Still unclear there but rumors appear to indicate the latter which would be a bit strange. Matic has been very good recently and picking up the option for an extra year would make sense. We've seen again this season how light we can be in midfield and having him for depth serves a purpose.
    Plus, with all the acquisitions that the club look to be lining up, not sure we would be able to add a holding mid on top of that (although Partey at 43-45mil would be the obvious choice). It seems like it's something will have to wait until 2021. I can see Ole being satisfied with a combo of McTominay and Matic for next season.
    That being said, if we're signing him to a multi year contract, then it's a decision that should be rightfully questioned. Especially since he'll be 32 by the start of next season. And again, it begs the question as to why the club is going away from their previous stance of not handing out multi year contracts to players over 30. Mata was the first one last season and that did not make much sense either. Let's hope that Ole meant we've picked up the option on him and nothing more.

jnielsen repped this.
  16. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Fred can be a starter in this role, for a challenging team. Especially if we get a good 6. Especially if his currrent form is his base level.

17. Red Jeph

Red Jeph Member+

Aug 26, 2006
    Chicago
    The only reason for a new deal would be lower wages than the option. If that’s the case hopefully it’s just a 1+1.

jnielsen repped this.
  18. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We can hope that is the case. Unfortunately, going back to the Mata deal it doesn't look like it's necessarily the case since it appears he got a pay hike with his new multi year contract (went from 140k/wk up to 160 now according to reports).
    Matic currently is at 120k/wk. Looking forward to this being announced so we can hopefully be apprised on the details.

19. Red Jeph

Red Jeph Member+

Aug 26, 2006
    Chicago
    Most reports had Mata taking a pay cut. He also had more leverage because we didn’t have an option year left.

20. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Extending Matic is such a bonehead move. Whatever his wages are, we could buy 2 punts at DM and hope they pan out. They wouldn't be worse than he is and they would be salable assets if we decided to move on. Dumping wages on players past their peak ties up so much salary in toxic assets. We are so ********ing dumb.

Literally the only way it makes sense is if there's a pay cut and a pay/play clause AND the team is sure that Garner is the real deal but want to send him on loan next season. That said, we should just play Garner in the cups and against weaker prem opposition if we think he's the future.

21. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Ed n Glazers already planning for summer kitty.. Forget a 6, Bellingham will probably be our only addition in CM area.

22. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    still no confirmation of this or even mention of it anywhere other than garbage ass papers like the sun.

i don't really see what's changed since hin wanting out. when McTominay is up to speed again he knows what's next

23. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

According to Castles, Matic is definitely in line for a pay hike as well.

24. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Increase in pay? What. The. ********.

Seriously?

Anonymous_United repped this.
  25. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing is finalized yet obviously (even if Ole put it out as a fait accompli somehow) but that is what I feared. And it looks like a repeat of what happened with Mata, where he was given a multi year deal (the offer on the table for Matic is said to be for 2yrs, don't know if it's 1+1, along with a pay increase (still haven't found anything supporting the contrary on that front).
    The only explanation I can think of, is that Ole values their presence in the squad as experienced heads in a team that is pretty young overall. Still could have picked up the option on him for next year, an alternative we did not have with Mata.