Not surprised Stott isn't at WC [R]

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Arisrules, Apr 16, 2006.

1. Kerry

Kerry Member

Apr 10, 2006
    Dearborn Heights Mi

What grade ref are you?

Substitution is at the discretion of the referee. The Galaxy were threatening and were ready to put the ball in play. Stott should not take away the momentum of an attacking team to allow their opponent to substitute. Good call by Stott. The dive call, the handling non call, and the 2nd dive non call could have gone either way each time and Stott could have sold all of them. That's the nature of the game.

2. Kerry

Kerry Member

Apr 10, 2006
    Dearborn Heights Mi

Learn the Laws of the Game before you make statements like that.
    If the player is in an offside position when the ball is struck, and he participates in the play, he's offside. Deflections, rebounds, saves do not negate this.

3. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Stott has been a pretty solid ref lately, but this was quite bad. Not for the overall number of bad calls...but because there were enough of them to change the game's outcome. There was a foul in the first half in the box...imehlu on Marsch that went uncalled but it was clear push in the back. That's game changing call #1.

The card on Mendoza was laughable, even if for persistant infringement because Cobi slipped so the trivial contact caused him not to recover.

I think Marshall should have gotten a card for heading Guzan. Not because it was intentional, but because it was reckless and resulted in 2 injuries.

The Garcia PK dive thing was horrible. The pull of the shoulder was equivalent to the contact by Regan on Donovan at midfield which earned Regan a card. That's game changing mistake #2.

The throw-in sub thing was a disaster. There were two balls in play. It was whistled after the throw in was already on its way. This was amateur by Stott....where was his head on this one? That's game changing mistake #3. Chivas should have kept their heads in the game no doubt. But that doesn't somehow absolve Stott for blowing this element of the game mgmt.

The second Garcia thing should have been where he got his card.

On the second goal, I suspect by the strict letter of the law, Cornell Glen was offside. We weren't given a perfect angle on replay but it appeared to me that feet were even between defender and attacker but attacker leaning forward and defender leaning forward a little bit too (ie back toward the middle of the field) so since it's to be judged on center of gravity and not feet, that's offside. But with the "advantage attacker" admonition, they'll never call it.
    Even if Chivas blew two PKs it would still have been 1-1 at worst.
    I think they were just unlucky last weekend. This weekend they were screwed by an uncharacteristic gaff and a couple of big mistakes by Stott.
    Again, not a lot of bad calls, just the ones that were, were serious. That said though, the 3 ref performances I saw from La Liga and EPL games this week were no better.

4. KMJvet

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's not entirely true. MLS chooses which from the qualified national pool to select. If they had the guts to try something bold, they could select Seitz, couldn't they? They don't.

In any case, Stott deserves to be selected. He just had a bad one where he's going to be disappointed in reviewing the tape.

5. KMJvet

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well, except if the play goes on and doesn't get stopped for offside, then Palencia was taken out in a wild lunge by Hartman so it ends with the PK.....except that Stott missed the two others and would probably miss this one too.

6. shuvy87

shuvy87 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2003
    USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    But he wasn't.... When the ball was shot, the Chivas player was on. Check the highlights.

7. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's not what he's saying. He's just talking about the rule.

By the way, I'll say it: I'm a Crew fan, and I was at the stadium, and there's no way that's a penalty.

Similarly, I don't think Chivas should have had a penalty on the "dive" play, either. I don't think he's going to win the ball, and like it or not, at the professional level, that's part of the thinking.

But there's no way that's a dive.

8. shuvy87

shuvy87 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2003
    USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Oh okay....
    I know..., that is a valid argument people can make (that he was not going to get to the ball so no PK). But yellow was unnecessary, as he was taken down. I just hate the notion that when "mexican" falls in the box, it an automatic yellow. In fact, this is an American myth.

9. Viking64

Viking64 Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Tarheel State
    Hey, talk to Dallas fans. Handballs in the box, no-calls in the box, two yellows don't make a red, busted legs, you name it Dallas has been screwed by USSF refs. Last night was no exception.

The best USSF has to offer is working in MLS, and they could fire every single one and bring in refs from where ever the heck they want to, and they would be no worse.

USSF needs to clean house in the ref corps, and the evaluation corps. And the longer people make excuses for incompetence, the longer it will take for change to come.

10. paulocesar

paulocesar Member

Oct 4, 2000
    Well, looks like this guy thinks Byron Moreno should help MLS refs get the job done:rolleyes: .

11. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Byron Moreno was good at the World Cup. He was sent home after the Italy game for political reasons.

Where he got into trouble was when he gave the hometown team, where he was running for city council, something like 13 minutes of stoppage time.

I suppose I could make a joke that referees are bastards, and politicians are bastards, so politician referees are double bastards.

But that would be wrong.

12. NHRef

NHRef Member+

Apr 7, 2004
    Southern NH
    Not true, offside is judged by any part of the body that can legally play the ball. So basically anything but the arm/hand. If one toe is pass the defender, he's off.

13. HeadHunter

HeadHunter Member

May 28, 2003
    Not true- offside position is judged by any portion of the attacker's body that can be legally used to score being closer to the goal then the entire second to last defender

14. VoodooDaddy23

VoodooDaddy23 New Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Overland Park, KS
    The biggest issue is that most solid refs can make a second income out of the college game if they live in the right part of the country so there is no motivation to deal with the political nonsense of USSF. Make the college game and rules the same as FIFA and don't pay well for college and crap for FIFA/USSF games and maybe the overall corp will improve.

15. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Have you stopped to consider that maybe you're the evil one. :) That would explain the past 10 years.

Sachin

16. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS pay is competitive with high level college games. In most cases, MLS offers a little bit more. The can't offer the volume of games however. Most of the top MLS guys are also doing their share of college games. In fact, the MLS assignor also assigns college matches for a major D1 conference. I believe a few other influential USSF people assign college games too. If you're a USSF national or getting there and work college games for one of these people, it is another way for you to get noticed.

The politics are also just as bad, if not worse, in the college game because the coaches can blackball you. In that discipline, you need to serve the assignors, the chapter leadership, influential referees, the coaches, and assorted others to advance. They also make the rules and enjoy shaping their competition so you won't see them bowing to Fifa. Besides that, the college rules are not that different with substitutions being the biggie. Rules alone are not an obstacle for a referee.

The polictics on the USSF side are real but far more predictable IMO. While the development and identification system seems biased in favor of referees between the ages of 17 and 25 because resources are limited, if a person of influence sees your match and you do well, you will get a chance to prove yourself. I also doubt very seriously that one could do college games for a period of years and just jump right into MLS. NISOA is a good organization but the college and pro games, even if played by the same rules, would be very different. It's foolhearty to assume that there are a bunch of referees hiding in the college game because most of the best are cross registered with USSF as it is.

17. KMJvet

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Is this new? Or some sort difference of opinion that's evolving? I know it was one of you refs from the referee forum that sent me the link to that "instruction." It was awhile ago now, but I think was from a ref in US Soccer, not internationally, providing instruction as how best to define how to compare the two players.

If this is true, then I think Cornell Glen was offside on the 2nd LA goal because all the parts of his upper body that can play the ball appeared closer to the goal. TV didn't give a perfect angle, but they were rather close to the 18 yd box line for judging how parallel they were.