Not inspired by Goalkeeping Options... Right Now.

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by FC Radar USA, Nov 14, 2017.

1. FC Radar USA

FC Radar USA Member

Jun 7, 2010
    Club:
    DC United
    Having watched the last handful of games (7 or 8), I am left feeling leery about the USWNT keep situation. I know Alyssa Naeher has put in the time and deserves the opportunity, but every time there is a cross into the box or well hit shot from distance it is rearely handled cleanly (or played well).

I know Ashlyn Harris, Jane Campbell, and Adrianna French have played well for their clubs and moments of solid playing for uswnt teams in the past.

My concern is that going into qualifying year for the Women's world cup, this is the first time I can recall thinking that the GK position could be a liability for the USWNT. If not directly, indirectly in terms of defenders confidence in what is behind them.

I believe this year, as much as we talk about field combinations and form, it may be the emergence of a reliable GK that could make the difference in the USWNT's fortune at World Cup in 2019 and Olympics in 2020.

What are your thoughts? Confident in current GK situation? What should be done this upcoming year?

2. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bring back Hope Solo. ... 3, 2, 1... and the onslaught of begins. LOL!

Even with all the drama she brings, she is still my favorite keeper all-time.

McSkillz repped this.
  3. superpoke

superpoke Member

Sep 15, 2011
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    I'm admittedly biased, but I think they need to give Franch an honest look, not just the occasional call-ups where she's not even a sub or camp invites that go nowhere.

4. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #4 McSkillz, Nov 16, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
    If Hope Solo wasn't such a bonehead, she would still be better than number 1 Naeher as of Nov, 2017. I don't think I've ever felt so secure than with either Hope Solo or Brianna Scurry(in her prime) I'm not a goalkeeper analysis expert but everytimeNaeher comes out of her box a streak of panic runs across my chest like she really seems not completely in control over the situation. If we can't get Hope Solo to return to the USWNT at least give Franch or Campbell a few caps in next years winter friendlies and see how well they command the backline.

Also why was Jill Ellis so determined to take Barnie out? I don't think she lost a step as far I could tell and I thought she was going to be number 1 at least for a few years after Hope Solo.

5. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Barnie was injury prone.

6. Airox

Airox Member

Mar 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Barnie hasn't missed much in the NWSL lately....

kernel_thai repped this.
  7. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're right, but during her stint with the national team she was out enough to make her undesirable as a #1 option. Could also be her age as well; she's 36.

8. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    As I mentioned in a separate thread, the 2017 4-4-2 list has popped and GKs r very interesting. Franch #20, Naeher #21, Harris #27, Barnhart #33, Rowland #39 and Smith #47. Obvious questions are where is Jane Campbell and is it a problem that the US no longer has a keeper who is considered a top ten player?