Not good

Discussion in 'Philadelphia OT' started by Z010 Union, Jun 30, 2006.

1. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. mdelrossi1

mdelrossi1 Member

Jul 29, 2005
    Center City Philly
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but now West Campus seems in danger of not happening...

4. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gee Bryan, its not that bad.

We all expected this, and not just from MLS cynicism. And as I have reviewed the time line, Rowan announced their 120 day timetable on March 20 which sets 120 days later at July 18. So we are very close to keeping the deadline.

And lets be honest, the Cherry Hill News is reporting that MLS, Milestone and Rowan are very close and all indications are that its going to happen. Thats fantastic news!

5. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The last sentence struck fear in me

I guess it's the side of me that watched Joe Carter take Wild Thing deep in 93 - I'm always hopeful that Philly will shake the curse, but it even effects horses these days - this seems like the myth of Sisyphus has come back - we almost got the rock all the way up the hill, but now Jersey's failing economy and education bond reduction may threaten the development which gave rise to our stadium hopes.

6. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, Rowan would need to sign a deal with Milestone in order to get things moving. Until then it's still only a plan/dream of Rowan's. I guess that if they can't work out a deal, they could go back to square one and start over (which would be the traditional method for South Jersey development.....seems to always take 9 tries to get something done).

I think the Courier Post is just taking a pessimistic view. Heck, it's just a cursory view to begin with.

Part of the South Jersey dynamic that some are probably unfamiliar with. As the general Philadelphia media is very PA-centric and treats NJ with a cursory view, the Courier Post is very similar in it's Camden County centricity, and Gloucester County is rarely mentioned. It' leads to a very supressed attitude in Gloucester County.

That's one reason that I've really liked Matt Ralph's coverage in the Gloucester County Times, he's really stepped up and taken some initiative in this whole thing.

7. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was always known that the soccer stadium at Rowan would only work if West Campus worked.

The unique thing about this project, and what makes it different than say, Real Salt Lake's attempt at a SSS, is that by using Rowan Unv. as the land-holder, Milestone and MLS can get all the little things like infrastructure and roads built by the state by way of educational monies.

Most MLS teams cannot do that with their SSS projects.

8. Khan

Khan Member+

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road
    I am now unconfident in the possibilities of Rowan actually occurring. I STILL hope for it, but given the political climate in NJ, I can't see this happening right now.

Every delay give other candidate cities the opportunity to jump to the "front of the line" with MLS. [See the San Antonio/Seattle/SLC triumverate as an example of how cities can jump ahead of others...]

Ever day of budgetary impasses in the state of NJ would seem to make Rowan's expansion plans [with or without a SSS] less likely to occur, IMO.

Lest less-literate posters assume that I'm a "MLS-In-Philly-Hater," I'll post this again:

I WANT MLS TO COME TO METROPOLITAN PHILADELPHIA. I merely have my doubts that it will.

Cheers!

9. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funny that when things were going well we didn't see you around much. But given recent road-bumps you've been quite vocal again. Sorry if I misread what you wrote, but I'm still lumping you amongst those against MLS-in-Philly for some reason.

10. Khan

Khan Member+

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road
    Well, the gross incompetence of Bruce Arena sapped my "soccer attention" from MLS-in-Philly and drew it to this thing called "The World Cup."

Similarly, the gross incompetence of Sir Dave the Short Sarachan, the completion of Toyota Park, and the poor performance of the FIRE also conspired to direct my attention elsewhere.

SoccerPrime did a good job in selling us the idea that this was a slam dunk. As a result, I for one am surprised that nothing more has been announced as yet. This, despite all the other factors at play.

My apologies if you have a difficult time believing my fandom in MLS-in-Philly, but this project is somewhat less relevant to me than the World Cup, the FIRE, or other things going on in the world of soccer. However, I'll be sure to check in more frequently, so as to show my support, OK?

11. Looper121

Looper121 Member

United States
    Jun 19, 2003
    Sec 104
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eh, there's nothing too meaty in that report. I wouldn't get too worked up over it...By the rule they still have time left...

12. OKTerrific

OKTerrific Member

Sep 10, 2005
    The River End
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Relax Bryan, take it out of panic mode. Easier said than done I know, but it's not that the big of a deal. There isn't any new crippling info in that article.

We'll be fine.

13. Khan

Khan Member+

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road
    Anything new to report? [Other than Bryan may be in mourning since his buddy's off to fix RB?]

Thanks!

14. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No not in mourning for the fact that he's not coming here :)

Everything is quiet right now, I am presuming that they are working out the last details.

It hasn't been a slam dunk, but I haven't gotten any emails to the contrary. And though the emails were flowing early in the process - I bet that quiet now means progress.