Not all Billionaires are in bed with Bush

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by cossack, Nov 11, 2003.

1. cossack

cossack Member

Loons
    United States
    Mar 5, 2001
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Finnegan

Finnegan Member

Sep 5, 2001
    Portland Oregon
    Finally Soros steps into the ring!

The Republicans whining about this is just too much. I wonder if that spokeswoman even said that with a straight face?

3. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This should get more interesting once a clear front-runner emerges for the Democratic party through the primaries. We haven't heard the last of Soros.

4. Sardinia

Sardinia New Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Sardinia, Italy, EU
    :)

It's fun to know I share the same ideas of a billionaire regarding Bush and neocons.

5. Garcia

Garcia Member

Dec 14, 1999
    Castro Castro
    His one vote is worth as much as mine.

I am seeing political parties being replaced by pseudo-political parties that don't play by the rules.

It is not just the money, but in Ohio, one of these groups tried to get the vote against a judge. The group thought it could do whatever they wanted. They used lies in TV ads, too! Is there no shame? :)

But, here is where this Soros guy has a problem...

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/politics/DailyNews/ohiosoftmoney_001103.html

Being Ohio state laws, Federal laws are not that different and if they want to do political business in Ohio, he may take notice.

Soros is openly working to oust Bush based on some personal views. I would bet, being a rich guy and all, that he has to know that he needs to focus on the issues. Make that, the groups he gives money to has to focus on issues, not the candidate. Fine line and if this keeps up, you'd better believe that this loophole will be closed.

6. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, one of the things that I hope is accomplished through Soros' involvement is real campaign finance reform. Now that Democrats have a pretty deep well of soft money to draw from, it's not just a partisan issue. Republicans controlling Congress may consider whether or not to close this kind of loophole, whereas before, since Dems didn't have the kind of financial backing that the Republicans do, there was little motivation.

I do wonder how Soros involvement will impact local politics. Certainly, the presidency is the biggest fish in the pond, but Soros, if he desires real changes in Washington, would be wise to realize that there will be some very hotly contested races over the next 2 years for Senate and House seats. A successful Democratic presidential candidate will have a very difficult time if the Republican majority in both houses increases. Maybe the best way to defeat Bush is to build a Congress that doesn't give Bush carte blanche to wage war (oversimplification I know, but a major reason why we are in this current mess.)

7. christopher d

christopher d New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Weehawken, NJ
    Reading the title, I couldn't help but think of the best piece of street-theatre I've seen in a long time: Billionaires for Bush (or Gore). Campaign slogan: "We don't care who you vote for, we've already bought them".

8. Garcia

Garcia Member

Dec 14, 1999
    Castro Castro
    This is what stinks.

All politics being local, should we allow a guy or a national party put such money into local races?

Look, I know how the game is played, and played legally, loopholes and all. In fact, I was almost sick to read how a local woman, Deb Pryce (R) rep from my central Ohio district was moved to the 4th highest position in the Republican side of the House.

Why?

Well, she ran a few elections ago as the outsider, the housewife turned political. That was a lie. Then once established, she had these connections in a rather rich district to continue raise money she would never use. What does she do?

She sends her money to the national party so they can spend it in other "local" races around the nation. If I had given money to Rep Pryce, I would expect it to stay with her, and if I gave money to the Republican National Task Force, then they could do what they saw fit to win the Congress.

The fact that she "bought" influence from local donations, people who based their faith in her considering the local issues, can she make that link to defending local politics by helping that party win the national debate?

In fact, when the party (any party) has primary elections, and the party decides one one candidate, they can then decide NOT to support local races where two things might happen:

1) The candidate they wanted, did not win the primary

2) They write off a candidate b/c they think they will lose

While good money management, this makes for a nasty and unclear political process. The fact that your 1040 form has a box where you can give money to this two party system just shows how they work to keep it going.

Back to Soros, he was the guy who wanted reforms and is now going the other way. I guess one man's hedge funds guru is another man's junk bonds Milken. Shoot, McCain the great reformer...and member of the Keating Five needs to stop talking when his little "law" hasn't done much.