Not about socks

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Bubba Atlanta, Feb 1, 2020.

1. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    As long as we're not on the subject of socks, let's talk about ... pants. I need some new long ones and I haven't bought any in a long time.

Are there any that you're particularly partial to for cold weather games? Easy to get in and out of over shoes if you decide to change it up between games? Wind resistant? Water resistant? Stripes or no stripes?

And we can expand this discussion to other cold and inclement weather gear if you like, but ... no socks. :barefoot:

2. chwmy

chwmy Member+

Feb 27, 2010
    I do have cold gear underarmour compression leggings and ibex wool baselayer that I will wear on cold days... my favorite on cool days are some nike hyperwarm compression shorts that are great for keeping my groin and hamstrings warm and loose...

as for pull off warmups with zipper legs, I just retired my adidas track suit. They aren’t particularly comfortable and the fabric is uninteresting poly. (Plus there are enough hipster kids wearing them in a retro/ironic way that I feel silly wearing them )

I’ve picked up some nike joggers which have the zipper leg- they are thin but very comfy and if I wear them as warmups I could still put my shorts over them and wear them as leggings if necessary.

Bubba Atlanta repped this.
  3. sulfur

sulfur Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I know that this isn't about socks, but when I have to ref on stupid cold and wet days, I have a set of thermal runners' socks. They're ankle socks but double-lined and really help to keep my toes warm on those wet miserable days.

In terms of leggings, I've got a couple of pairs of runners' tights (plain) that I can wear in a pinch. As a fourth, I prefer wearing track pants that match the uniforms being worn that day (if possible), but being a Canadian, will happily run with bare legs. Ha.

voiceoflg, IASocFan and Bubba Atlanta repped this.
  4. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    As AR in early season lopsided HS games, I sometimes find myself standing immobile at the halfway line for one 40-minute half or the other. I might as well be a fourth.

5. sulfur

sulfur Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I had one of those in the fall. I think I shared the story in the best stories thread... about how my watch asked me if I was done my workout. :p

Rufusabc repped this.
  6. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    I sometimes think the coldest I've ever been was one of those games, 20's with a 15 mph wind, working with a gung ho center who insisted we wear shorts.

7. bothways

bothways Member

Jun 27, 2009
    wasn't there a salt n pepa song..let's talk about socks!
    ...... I will let myself out

Pelican86 and LampLighter repped this.
  8. LampLighter

LampLighter Red Card

Bugeaters FC
    Apr 13, 2019
    At least it wasn’t a joke about Jefferson Starship. Yes you’re all old!

I have some under Armour base layer I use under my shorts. I wear everything under Armour though.

9. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
  10. LampLighter

LampLighter Red Card

Bugeaters FC
    Apr 13, 2019
    You shouldn’t have to put up with that. It’s a job, we’re allowed to wear hats now because we’re outside and we need protection, why not pants when it’s cold. If he wants to do the game solo that’s up to him but we should be allowed pants I don’t know of any other job where that would be ok to force and employee to be super uncomfortable when there’s a simple solution.

jayhonk repped this.
  11. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    I wouldn't put up with it now. That was early days.

12. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    It's not just about being uncomfortable, you are putting your health at risk for a soccer game. Channel your inner Nancy Reagan and just say no.

IASocFan repped this.
  13. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    geez, I had to look that up. It was a campaign that ran in The 2nd term. Thats 31 years ago!!

14. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    We named our college intermural ultimate frisbee team 'Just Say Yes'.

DefRef repped this.
  15. TheRealBilbo

TheRealBilbo Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    I figure if the kids are running around in shorts and socks, I should be running around in shorts and socks, but I wouldn’t begrudge anyone the option to wear pants.

Plus, for me, my legs aren’t usually the issue. On cold days, I wear an under armor cold gear shirt and a wind shirt under my ref shirt to stay warm.

16. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    I would hope with temps in the 20s and a 15mph wind the kids are wearing extra gear too, that is if the game is played at all.

Then again a couple years ago I had the whistle for a HSV girls game played in a steady rain with temps in the upper 30's IIRC, on a field that was nearly 100% mud. I was surprised by the number of players wearing just the standard jersey and shorts. I was glad I wore all my cold weather gear that night because I didn't run much that game.

TheRealBilbo repped this.
  17. seattlebeach

seattlebeach Member

AFC Richmond
    May 11, 2015
    Not Seattle, Not Beach
    I don't ever wear pants or tights for soccer - though there's always tomorrow - but for running on cold days, I use Under Armour ColdGear compression tights, and would 100% recommend them. I also _love_ the Lululemon Surge Jogger - it's an athletic training pant that looks sleek and not too soccer-y.