Not a single thread re 9/11

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by gosya, Sep 12, 2003.

1. gosya

gosya Member

Feb 6, 2001
    New York
    We post the most bizarre, useless messages on this board and start the most absurd threads. yet, not a single message on 9/11 was posted re what happened two years ago. Shame on us!

2. Michael Mejido

May 14, 2000
    you can't assume everyone wants to speak about such a thing in a public forum.

3. house18

house18 Member

Jun 23, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    I have seen two, one that I started:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=1582171#post1582171

and another that I can't find now, but think it is in the Crew threads.

4. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are right. However, I think most people see this forum as an escape from reality and bringing up painfull memories is not helpfull when trying to get away fromthe bombardment of emotinons out there yesterday.

5. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember on 9/11/01, this board received many, many messages from people around the world, expressing their sympathies and condolences. They picked the Metrostars board to express themselves to NYers. That was very moving.

People were wondering if any of the posters were affected. Someone also mentioned that the BS server was very close to the scene.

As Mike mentioned, to many of us it is not the place to talk about people we knew who are no longer with us due to the events of that day.

6. Haig

Haig Member+

May 14, 2000
    METROSTARS
    Club:
    --other--
    Shame on you for trying to shame all of us.

You don't know anyone's story here, and it's disgusting of you to demand that anyone here pay the amount of "respect" (as you determine it) with commemoration on Big Soccer.

Do you really think that because you didn't see anyone saying what you wanted to hear-- on the Big Soccer Metrostars forum, of all places-- that the day went without a lot of sorrow and honor?

Really, you've got a lot of nerve.

7. Snuffles

Snuffles New Member

May 27, 2003
    UK
    Have I accidently found the Bigremembrance boards?

8. Bigfoot

Bigfoot New Member

I agree and have nothing to add.

9. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Ditto.

10. cmonaco

cmonaco New Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Montreal/NYC
    It both amuses and angers me when people get upset at others for not memorializing an event as they themselves would prefer. A friend of a friend somewhere in the middle of the country was apparently accosted by a stranger for not wearing red, white, and blue yesterday.

It especially interests me that the vast majority of NYCers I know (and those who were most affected by the events of two years ago) are also the ones who most want to move on with their lives, even though we are also the ones most at risk and with the most reasons to worry about events in the future, as well as the most reasons to grieve about the past. In the meantime, people from the other places in the US who were not nearly as personally affected want to keep the perpetual memorializing in place.

Obviously this is not the case with gosya who apparently lives in NYC. But in general I've had enough of people telling other people how to grieve and how to move on with their lives. Especially from people who were not as close to the events as the people they criticize.

(/sanctimonious rant)

11. Cleveland Steamer

Cleveland Steamer New Member

Jan 10, 2001
    Yeah. How could we have not utilized something as important as [drum roll] Big Soccer [/drum roll] to be the forum of record for our feelings re: the anniversary of the 9-11-01 attacks? Especially since, as the poster notes, this is where we usually post stuff we deem to be bizarre, useless and/or absurd. Makes sense to me.

12. gosya,

9/11 has jack to do with football. We don't need a thread. If you signed on through yesterday's Metrofanatic site, you saw a simple rememberance posted at the entry page, which said it all. If you saw that, you didn't need to come in here and say anything more.

13. Richie

Richie Red Card

May 6, 1999
    Brooklyn, NY, United
    9/11 threads are on every soccer board I visit.

14. Good for the other boards. This is the one board where many of the posters were there that day when it happened or went in afterwards to help supply assistance to the work crews. I never forget, not a day. Sorry to disappoint you for not giving you yet another thread to obsess on.

15. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I know people who went out of their way not to watch any news coverage of any of the ceremonies Thursday because they're still apalled about what happened but still wish to move on with their lives.

16. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
  17. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    We all grieved in our own way. It's not a hugh deal that no one posted a 9-11 thread on the Metro board. If someone wants to, they can but if no one wants to it's not a big deal.

I did my own thing, most of us who either lost someone dear or just feels down about it, went to certain ceremonies for rememberence. Or they handled the day how they wanted to.

For those of you who visit the Metro boards and are not Metro Supporters, who came on here and said shame on us...............................................

HOW DARE YOU COME ON HERE AND PATRONIZE US!

If you are outside of the tri-state area, Washington DC as well as Pennsylvania, because I know there are alot of people who have to travel from Penn to get into the city to work, you have no damn right to tell us what we are doing wrong when something as dramatic as 9-11 to tell us we aren't doing our damnedest to talk about it.

I'm not going to ask my fellow Metro supporters to chime in on what happened to them and how their lives have been affected, because here in the best city in the world we have been hit hard and we are all affected.

All of us are either still grieving, just getting back into the swing of things, or still caring this disgusting act of Terrorisium in our minds and feeling very angry.

But for those of you who want to enquire about our opinions, or play the Quack with your psycho babble, mumbo jumbo then I will share mine.

5 Days before this terrible day I took the PATH train from Hoboken into the World Trade Center and headed to Nathan Hale's to drop off my money for the trip to Foxboro. That was the very last time I took the PATH Train to the WTC. The day before what happened I was at the Yankee Game for a make up of an earlier Postponed rain out between the Yankees & the Red Sox. That day it poured like crazy, the field was so filled with water they couldn't play the game. That game got postponed and rescheduled for a later date.

I was home and saw what happened on the TV. I prayed to God that everyone was able to get out of the buildings, I also hoped that everyone was able to get out.

I'm not here comparing my story to anyone else. But this is how 9-11 has affected me. I am still bitter, still ticked off and I can use alot more explicit words but I'll behave myself and act civil. You want my opinion on how this whole thing should have been handled. An Eye for an Eye, you messed with us, now we will mess with you. And if any country who allows these terrorisits, these cowards who will never face you man to man will not kick them out or make any attempts to exile them, continuing to send them money and allowing them to train in their country, then they are guilty by association.

That's my view. The only politics I follow is Metro.

That's it.

God Bless America

18. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    There is already a number of threads on other forums, notably the one on the free for all forum.

19. Digilobo

Digilobo New Member

Jun 29, 2003
    Queens, NY
    okay, i'm a little late jumping on the boat here, but i think if you wanted a contemplative thread about 9/11 you should have started one, instead of starting one about how no one has started one. doing it this way just brings out the stupid in all of us.

20. bukie2k

bukie2k Member

Mar 28, 2002
    New Jersey
    Very well said. Maybe when people who live in the metropolitan area and either directly or indirectly experienced the events of 9/11 can look at the Manhattan skyline without a feeling of sorrow or getting a knot in their stomach people will feel like sharing their thoughts here. No reason to belittle people because they chose not to grieve in a public forum.