Norwich vs. Spurs, PL, Sat. Dec. 28, 12:30 pm ET

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Golara, Dec 27, 2019.

1. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Spurs travel to East Anglia to face bottom club Norwich at Carrow Road. We will have Son, Sissoko and Winks suspended, so hopefully that will mean a chance for Eriksen, Lo Celso and Ndombele, who would start in most teams but for some reason seem to be surplus to requirements for us.

Despite being mostly rubbish this season, we sit 3 points off the top 4.

2. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Ndombele said he didn't feel ready to play yesterday, so he wasn't in the squad. Lamela said he could play 15 minutes if needed, so he was in. Tanganga and Foyth were in the squad; Rose was not. It will certainly be interesting to who starts tomorrow. Maybe start Foyth and Rose, and rest whichever of Toby, Jan and Sanchez needs a break - surely someone needs a break? I guess it will be (the appropriately named) Dier and Ndombele if he is ready to play.

3. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    They've been really, really poor. If we drop points tomorrow it will be a major disappointment. hopefully we can put it to bed early.

But I doubt we will.

4. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Norwich were unfortunate in their last 2 losses to Wolves and Villa, where they played well but were not ruthless in front of goal and were punished for their mistakes in defense. We have not turned up the last 2 games in the first half, which has been a concern all season.

5. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

This is the lineup most people have been clamouring for, albeit not the formation most were expecting. Mourinho's dropped Dier and put both Eriksen and GLC in.

Can't wait to see what the excuses will be if it doesn't work.

6. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    I still can’t fathom just how bad we are defensively. It was shocking to see have far we’d fallen under Mauricio, but under “park the bus” Mourinho?

7. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Another ridiculous “offside” call. This time in Spurs’ favor. Rule needs to be completely reworked in the era of VAR.

8. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Spurs so easily muscled off the ball, it’s not like Norwich is a big side either.

9. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Ah there’s the Aurier we all know. Calamity Serge.

10. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Meh 2-2. Once again Spurs didn’t rise to average until the second half. Again a better team would have punished us.

Really haven’t seen Mourinho’s influence at all. Maybe some minor formation changes, but it’s the same results and largely the same type of performances and mistakes as under Pochettino.

11. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Another poor result and performance. For the 4th consecutive game, Mourinho was out-coached by a less experienced manager. it is almost like the opposition coach knows how he is going to set up. Again we were nowhere in the first half and another bonehead error from Foyth gifted them the first goal. I don't see any evolution in Mourinho's tactics or team selection, this looks a lot like his last season at Man U.

12. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Just watching the other games in the PL, I would say that Chris Wilder, Nuno, Graham Potter and Eddie Howe do a better job of setting up their teams with far less talented players than we have.

13. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    When Mourinho inevitably gets sacked I’d like to see Nuno as his replacement. Honestly would have preferred him over Mourinho, but Levy has to do his Levy thing of hiring a big name rebound manager.

14. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just watched the highlights...

Once again, it was poor defending. Vert is starting to look like he should be sold, or played in more of a part time role. He is being beat far too often. And that was just poor communication between Gazza, Alde, and then Aurier to score that own goal.

Also, that was a rather horrid collision between Ndombele and Eriksen almost leading to a goal (10th min). Did they just not play well together? Or was that just a moment of both players thinking they should have the ball?

How is Lo Celso doing? I have seen very little of him, but the announcers said he has been playing well lately.

2nd half seemed to show Spurs with some nice passing (based on the highlights). That Dele goal called back was quite nice and very reminiscent of the way Spurs played two or three years ago.

VAR needs to be handled like it is in rugby. Pukki's second goal called back was way to technical of a call, and should have been made by the official on the field looking at the replay on the big screen. Would have been better for the fans as well, seeing how the on-field official looked at the decision.

15. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    We just keep giving the ball away in our own half, whether it is the mids or the defenders. Dembele has not been properly replaced. I remember Poch and all the Spurs players would rave about how brilliant he was, even though he had so few assists and goals. He just controlled the game and was the link between defense and attack for us.

For whatever reason, Norwich retreated after the 2-1 goal when it looked like they could create chances at will against our non-existent midfield and erratic defense.

It is hard to evaluate Lo Celso because he hardly plays. But I do know that if I were ranking our midfielders, Winks, Dier and Sissoko would be in my bottom 3, but they are the ones who are getting the starts, despite their constant mediocre play.