Norwich vs Liverpool FC - EPL - Feb 15 [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by el-capitano, Feb 5, 2020.

1. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    • Liverpool have opened the scoring in each of their past 14 Premier League meetings with Norwich City - no side has ever scored the opening goal in more consecutive games versus another in the competition's history (Chelsea also 14 v Portsmouth).
    • Liverpool have kept a clean sheet in 10 of their past 11 Premier League matches, this after having only kept one shutout in the previous 11 such games before this.
    • Sadio Mane scored the 100th goal of his English club career in all competitions, scoring 25 for Southampton and 75 for Liverpool.
    • Mane's goal was his 57th in the Premier League for Liverpool, but the first coming as a substitute.
    • Jordan Henderson has assisted five Premier League goals this season; only in 2014-15 (nine) and 2013-14 (seven) has he provided more in a single league season in his professional career.
    • Both of Liverpool's past two Premier League games have been goalless at half-time; only two of their first 24 such matches of the season had been 0-0 at the break before this.

B.A. repped this.
  2. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too much complaining about the performance....2 week break + horrible conditions and playing a team that simply isn't as bad as it's record at their place....and we still controlled most of the game. I thought it was a good performance given the circumstances.

Wingtips1, B.A., Red Bird and 6 others repped this.
  3. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it clearly demonstrates how valuable Mane is and how much he is missed when he's out.

4. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    except he's been out and we won every game.

Wingtips1 repped this.
  5. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    BtownKj, Red Bird and B.A. repped this.
  6. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    #131 zaqualung, Feb 15, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
    I agree. I quite enjoyed this game. Thought we might end up tying it, actually... glad we won, because the longer this streak continues the better it feels .. but, you touch upon an interesting thing - there's too much complaining. Too many fans leaping toward unrealistic expectations... they should keep in mind that good as we are we've been lucky to win about 6 or 7 of the games we've won this year. They weren't all bloody blow-outs..... Also Norwich are better than most of the other bottom ten teams, but they pay a price for trying to play football....

One other thing. Mane's goal should have been disqualified. Great goal, but he did foul the player. If that action is reversed (its done to Mane), then every Liverpool fan would say it should have been a penalty....
    Fact is, referees don;t apply the rules equally to strikers and defenders. Whatever allowance system that they are working out from within seems generally different in application.....

But, all that said, we should have won because Naby and Bobby should have both scored. Salah is playing like vintage Ryan Giggs... and Mane is back ... and Firmino in this high congfidence is simply defying explication ....
    Roll on everything....
    Roll on Tuesday.... let's dump Diego Fvckhead's ugly team out of Europe with swashbuckling style....

imasyko repped this.
  7. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Yeah, but he's still irreplaceable

8. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    That's what I'd go with. But I think it'll be Wijnaldum for Keita

The fact that wijnald\um came off today leads me to this conclusion.. although he wasn't at his most effective so maybe that's why he came off??
    Anyway, what do i know? I'm not Jurgen - for a starthe's about 6 inches taller than me... ;)

9. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Another win, not our best but I'll take it!

But as many have said, one game at a time. In particular I am still wary of the threat posed by ManU. They still have 13 games to play. If they win 14 of them they could still catch us ...........

BtownKj, Suss, newterp and 1 other person repped this.
  10. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    take some xanax and relax....
    ;)

11. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    VVD was tackled by two players in the box on a corner. Stonewall penalty. Not even reviewed.

Wingtips1 and usscouse repped this.
  12. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Oh no you di'int. That was only an hour since the final whistle. It hadn't even died yet, it was still warm. Give me a chance ;)

usscouse and newterp repped this.
  13. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

Well, as has been noted on numerous occasions here and elsewhere, refs just do not apply normal foul call rules to the few seconds of man-handling in the run-up to and while a corner kick is being floated.

14. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    I thought Keita had one of those games that often can be overlooked. He wasn’t flashy, didn’t score or assist, didn’t kick the ball off the line, but he was rock solid. Rarely making a mistake, but always making himself available and tackling well. But a very good game; more of the same please.

Suss and newterp repped this.
  15. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep - he was always available, drove forward, recovered and played defense, and was trying for through balls (which didn’t quite come off) and should have scored.

16. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    maybe it was just rust, but Liverpool should have destroyed the Canaries. a late single goal is a win, is a win, but i still say that Mane was missed.

17. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    ONLY if we lose 15. :D:D

18. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    You have a 10 hour, or something, start on us.

19. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Yup. Going into the CL I’m a tad concerned about our finishing. Or lack thereof.
    Eaking out with late goals then holding on against a barrage of last minute corners is not good for my wellness.

20. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Wingtips1 repped this.
  21. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We know long breaks do us no good at all and this match showed that. Stray passes, aimless crosses and half-hearted attempts at goal. We were forced to play too narrowly and funnelled through the middle where Norwich wanted us, all clogged up and largely going nowhere. Even the winning goal seemed to owe more, I think, to Mané touch and out-bustling of the defender making Henderson’s pass better than it would have been.

But we got the clean sheet and 3 points. And, importantly, we got some match rhythm back.

delaynomo and usscouse repped this.
  22. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Funny how the comma have just noticed how Hendo fills behind Trent when he goes on a rampage. It now goes along with: the outside of his boot and a drop of the shoulder.

23. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    If the rumors linking us to Cantwell are true, all I have to say is, "yes, please."
    A tidy player he is.

24. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We'll need to toughen him up a bit, after watching him last weekend but yes, should be a good player for Klopp to develop.

25. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I was a little underwhelmed ..........