Norway vs. Brazil [R]

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by nordby1, Sep 24, 2003.

1. nordby1

nordby1 Member

Sep 4, 2001
    SAN DIEGO
    Club:
    Lillestrom SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Norwegian coach Åge Steen has announced his starting 11:

Norway - Brazil, Wednesday 17.00 (EDT).
    Place: RFK Stadium, Washington

Norway (4-3-3): Bente Nordby - Gunhild Følstad, Monica Knudsen, Ane Stangeland, Brit Sandaune - Solveig Gulbrandsen, Trine Rønning, Unni Lehn - Marianne Pettersen, Dagny Mellgren, Anita Rapp.

I can't understand why Steen would replace Klaveness with Rønning, especially since Trine has never played as a playmaking midfielder for the National Team before. :confused:

I could understand if Steen wanted to make some changes with his defense, but I thought his midfielders played well against France, especially Klaveness and Lehn. I would have been less surprised if Steen had decided to let Rønning start in place of Solveig Gulbrandsen, who by her own admission did not play up to her usual standards against France.

2. nordby1

nordby1 Member

Sep 4, 2001
    SAN DIEGO
    Club:
    Lillestrom SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Norwegians Show They Can Dance Too

Here's a picture of Marianne Pettersen leading the Norwegian squad in some line dancing at the Norwegian ambassador's residence in Washington D.C. along with one of Trine Rønning showing off for the photographers and getting a laugh from Unni Lehn.

Marianne Pettersen & Co.

Unni, Trine, Anita, & others

3. Native Aztexan

Jan 27, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it just me or the audio on ESPN2 for the game is awful. I can barely hear what the announcers are saying. :confused: (This also happen during the China-Ghana match)

Going to watch it on Galavision again.

4. gousa9

gousa9 New Member

Aug 28, 1999
    Canada
    wow!

wow!

it's not even halftime and brasil is up 2-0. goals coming from daniela and rosanna ... loved daniela's goal.

elaine

5. phats_away

phats_away Member

Jul 28, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    are you talking about just how bad the girl is? or do you actually have audio problems?
    if it's audio problems, then it might be your sat dish, cable, or tv

6. Native Aztexan

Jan 27, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No.
    I have cable, not sat dish. It seems that the audio coming from ESPN2's game was bad earlier. Now the problem has been fixed.

BTW
    Brazil 2 Norway 1

55 Min.

7. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution; Boston Breakers
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great left foot finish by Marta while being dragged down by a defender to put Brasil up 3-1, 59th minute.

Katia heads one off a defender's face in the 69th minute., 4-1.

8. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  9. UFGator98

UFGator98 Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Florida
    I'm not sure what's worse, Norway's defense or Erika and Tom calling this match. My word they are painful to listen to. Norway doesn't look very good at all, of course they'll probably play their best match of the year should they meet up with the US in the quarterfinals.

10. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution; Boston Breakers
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Into injury time. Still 4-1.

Looks similar to the 4-0 whipping China gave to Norway in '99.

11. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Hmmm

OF course, I am happy Brazil won. But this game raises a few points...

1. I am, frankly, more than a tad surprised that Brazil has done so well lately. Now, I know they beat Norway on PKs to win the bronze 4 years ago. But, the Brazilian press reported low team morale, bad relationships between the players and the coach, and the controversy over Milene joining the squad purely for PR reasons... oh well.

2. What's up with Norway? The 1995 World champions and 2000 Olympic champions did not impress me at all. One may argue that this match was relatively even (though Brazil had more ball possession), but Brazil, not seen as a top contender for the title, didn't seem to work too hard to beat them so easily. I know soccer isn't logical, but... ???

3. Brazil is now already in the final rounds. These two convincing victories, the second over a team the sports media said was a definite contender, makes Brazil now a potential darkhorse to win it all. And this matches the Brazilians with the 2nd place of Group A... and that will be either Sweden, reigning World champions Team USA, or... the team no one wants to play: North Korea.

This World Cup is pretty interesting... !!!!

12. Mel10

Mel10 New Member

Apr 24, 2001
    in your underpants
    Wow. Good for Brazil.

13. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    Re: Hmmm

The only time I have seen Norway worse was against USA in the first round of Olympics '00. The game that should have ended 7-0, but stopped at 2-0.

14. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very entertaining and well played match. :)
    The Brazilian women played like, well, Brazilians!
    The US is going to have a tough quarterfinal match whomever it is.

15. FiveXChampion

FiveXChampion Member

Sep 23, 2000
    California
    Club:
    Fluminense Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aerial Game

The Norwegians were indeed dangerous with the fast aerial game. But Brazil is technically superior.

All the Brazilian ladies needed to win was to keep the ball on the floor and set the pace of the game. That's the way the men play against Europeans and it works most of the time. Great game for Formiga and Marta and what a solid keeper Andrea is!

16. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2001
    Jakarta
    I kinda liked having Tommy Stone in the booth, but you're right on Erika Whatshernameski. It got so bad I was even hoping Foudy would come up to the booth and take over.

Norway's defense looked all kinds of slow ... at this rate they can't even take three points against South Korea for granted.

17. neovox

neovox Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Sul do Brasil
  18. DennisM

DennisM Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Nya Sverige
    Well, they didn't play Klaveness and this is what happens. They waited too long. Brazil played like they should tonight. But is was really an odd mismatch. Norwegians were unable to use their strength and the Brazillians passed the ball so well tonight. Andreia had a good game in goal too.

19. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Norway looked like they were asleep for most of the game. They were slow of foot and mind. They did have a decent start to the second half but it didn't last.

The ref was rather inconsistant as she called a bunch of touch fouls in the beginning and then let physical stuff go later in the game. I was glad to see she wasn't fooled by the Brazilian diving in the second half.

Brazil has talent and the younger players aren't timid. The left back played well. It seemed that some of their touches were too far away from their body but Norway still couldn't do anything about it. Brazil is quick.

Erika & Tom were horrid. At one point, the Brazilian keeper appeared (I wanted a replay) to have the ball in her hands when it was outside of the box. They didn't even mention it. At least notice that it was rather close. I wanted to scream everytime she said "boot it."

20. scrub

scrub Member

Oct 12, 2000
    As a neutral, I thought that game was good as it let me see the Brazilian skill, but as a competitive match it was overall unfun to watch. The game got more interesting for the brief time Norway stepped up, but other than that it just seemed like one of those lopsided blowouts that are only fun if you are a fan of the team winning.

The skill of the Brazilians was awesome, and they showed that they are serious contenders for the title. That alone made the game worth watching, especially their individual dribbling efforts. Two really good goals.

But, the Norwegians played horribly -- very below their capabilities in my mind. I don't think we know whether the Brazilians had anything to do with it, actually. This seemed a case of a team imploding from the beginning. Norway barely was able to pass to each other. The Norway goal was cool though.

The announcers were painful to listen to. Painful. Actually, to be fair, the guy was not bad. It was the woman who drove me bonkers. She was just so unpracticed. ESPN, this is the freakin' WWC -- give us some announcers who are worthy. I'm here to watch the best, most exciting women's soccer on the planet. Why oh why do you have to torture us like that?

21. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    The match yesterday reminded me of the 5-0 killing China handed Norway in the 1999 semis in Foxboro.

It's all about skill controlling the match, and not permitting Norway to play their style.

I only saw the 2nd half, where Norway attempted to get the draw goal, only to have Brazil get the counter 3rd goal, and essentially dominated the match from then on.....

Putting on Riise, clearly a player favoring a leg was a very poor move. Unless Hege has the ball, what was she going to do....

The Klaveness move ws correct but way too late...

I'd suggest Klaveness finds herself starting the rest of the WC....

From my observation, she's the MOST purely skilled of the Norweigians, and getting her out there can ONLY help them.

let's see how Brazil plays on saturday, following a major win....do they continue their romping through Group B, or do they play a stinker against France??

22. silentbob

silentbob Member

Aug 17, 2003
    Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    I was at the match yesterday and somewhat rooting for Brazil, but their victory was somewhat tainted in my mind by the despicable play-acting of Formiga (who otherwise had an excellent match). On several occasions, she'd be fouled (or appear to be fouled) by a Norwegian player and start writhing in "pain" and the crowd would start booing Norway for rough play. I specifically kept my eye on Formiga in the minutes following her "injuries" and her initial limps turned into all-out sprints and fancy footwork within minutes. Disgusting.

Marta showed flashes of utter brilliance but is still too inconsistent for my tastes. Katia was steadier and more effective IMO.

And yeah, the referee was indeed horrible. She was pretty good at detecting dives, but otherwise lacked any consistency in her calls.

I watched my tape of the match after getting home, and WOW that Erika announcer is horrible. She makes Jack Edwards look like John Motson.

23. Adam Zebrowski

May 28, 1999
    The quality of reffing in the female game lags way behind the quality of the players....

watch out tonight with the Argentine ref doing USA-NGA...

The gamesmanship from Brazil tends to be cultural....

Just ignore it, it won't change overnight...rivaldo against turkey in the WC....

total gamesmanship from a great player....

but the skill...Marta is an exceptional player, and she does stuff NO american can do...

24. Guinho

Guinho Member+

May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmm.

I didn't see a lot of dives, but I did see a lot of Norwegian muscling off the ball, which was fair enough, I suppose. Calling Andreia on having the ball outside the box would have been unbelievably harsh since none of the officiating staff were in a position to make what would have been a call of centimeters in either direction

A couple of thoughts having seen Brazil for the first time since 1999:

What a huge improvement! They were on the whiney side in the late 90's, but they have toned that down a fair bit. If anything they didn't complain about some pretty dodgy calls against them, especially on those offside calls on Katia. I would have liked to have seen the right angle replay on those, to be sure.

Also, the cohesion and skill going forward is significantly improved. If they can get at least the draw vs. France, they wouldn't face the US until the final, and potentially China until the semis. I was looking forward to this match as a reigning powerhouse vs and up-and-comer, and I think Brazil made a pretty serious statement this time. I like the sound of darkhorse with this team. And they're so young! 2007 looks like it'll be interesting.

G.

25. Adam Zebrowski

May 28, 1999
    I suspect Brazil will NOT lose to France.

Which means Sweden or North Korea would be the foe in the 2nd round.

Sweden gets Nigeria and NK gets USA, so Sweden has the edge going into the 3rd matches.

Having seen Sweden and Norway LIVE for one match each, Sweden played better defensively than did Norway, and Ljungberg can be a terror.

She's got a very nice acceleration mixed with a physical presence, very unusual combination.

The Sweden-NK match had an ebb and flow where each side controlled play for periods.

Brazil would NOT have an easy time with either side.

I susepct USA would prefer Norway in the 2nd round.

Sobrero took a nasty hit late in the Nigeria match and was limping badly the last 5 minutes....

USA continues to get injured on defense.

Slaton might be the 1st to return, and will probably be needed on Sunday.