Norway looking for new coach

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by Parker, Oct 28, 2004.

1. Parker

Parker New Member

May 20, 2004
  2. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    pia sundhage...even if she is swedish!!

3. hagabo_i_exil

hagabo_i_exil Member

Apr 27, 2004
    london
    Club:
    Umeå IK
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Sure, but she just signed on for KIF Örebro (the outfit formerly known as Karlslunds IF) :) in the damallsvenska.

4. RUUDVN

RUUDVN BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 3, 2004
    NYC
    I think Tony DiChico, the former US '99 coach will be the best candidate for that.

5. Tomahawk

Tomahawk Member

Mar 20, 2003
    Astral Plane
    I don't think you'll see Solveig and Pia Sundhage together. Solveig will be pulling for her husband, (Pia's former assistant), to get a shot. If not, she'll be a miserable person and take it out on whoever the new coach is.

Why not one of their former players?

6. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution; Boston Breakers
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does Riise have any coaching experience?

Or would she turn into a Heinrichs? ;)

7. Dandal

Dandal Member

Jul 20, 2002
    Sweden
    Club:
    --other--
    Riise has coaching ambitions - she's been in the norwegian FA's training programme (I don't know if she's graduated or still in the programme) and is assistant coach with her club Team Strømmen. I think most people would agree she still has a bit to go before anyone seriously consider her for a national team job.

8. savan

savan New Member

May 16, 2004
    Norway
    Are we talking The Mother Riise? :D

9. secretcode

secretcode New Member

Apr 12, 2004
    USA
    Is Anita Rapp still playing? It seems like some players have disappeared since the World Cup 03.

10. SteinL

SteinL New Member

Aug 2, 2004
    Norway
    It seems that Ola By Rise (former Rosenborg coach) and Eli Landsem (currently in Fortuna Hjørring) are the most likely candidates to take over the Norwegian WNT. If Eli Landsem get the job, it will be the first time Norway has a female coach on the WNT.

11. RUUDVN

RUUDVN BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 3, 2004
    NYC
    What happened to Age Steen ? :( why he is not re-hired ?

12. nordby1

nordby1 Member

Sep 4, 2001
    SAN DIEGO
    Club:
    Lillestrom SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Eli Landsem

According to the Oslo Daily newspaper Aftenposten, By Rise was offered the Norwegian WNT head coaching job, but turned it down.
    http://www.aftenposten.no/english/sports/article922635.ece

I have heard nothing but good things about Eli Landsem from players who played for her at Asker and really hope that she ends up as Norway's next WNT head coach. If Landsem does get the job, I wouldn't be surprised at all if one of her former players, Hege Riise, eventually ends up as one of her assistants. :cool:

13. SteinL

SteinL New Member

Aug 2, 2004
    Norway
    Norwegian newspapers today write that Even Pellerud, currently coaching the Canadian WNT, has been contacted by the Norwegian FA to take over the job. So it seems that he is the first choice of the Norwegian FA.

14. nordby1

nordby1 Member

Sep 4, 2001
    SAN DIEGO
    Club:
    Lillestrom SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Links to Pellerud Articles?

I have done several google searches, but have so far not come up any with articles that discuss the NFF contacting Pellerud about the Norwegian WNT head coaching job. Which Norwegian newspapers wrote about this? Also, if you have any links to these articles could you please post them. "Tusen takk!"

15. Dandal

Dandal Member

Jul 20, 2002
    Sweden
    Club:
    --other--
    Re: Links to Pellerud Articles?

Here you are:
    From the Trondheim newspaper Adresseavisen: http://fotball.adressa.no/nyhetsark...ionid=RZDMHCRISY0GTQFIMUDCFEQ?articleID=71259
    From the national network NRK: http://www.nrk.no/sport/fotball/4331342.html
    From the women's football site Kvinnefotball: http://www.kvinnefotball.no/news.asp?id=741

16. nordby1

nordby1 Member

Sep 4, 2001
    SAN DIEGO
    Club:
    Lillestrom SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    SV: Links to Pellerud Articles

"Tusen takk!" Dandal. "Det var snilt av deg." :) I have to remember to check that "kvinnefotball" site on a more regular basis.

Just out of curiosity, is there a special "norsk" version of google that is more effective to use when searching for Norwegian newspaper articles?

På forhånd takk!

17. Dandal

Dandal Member

Jul 20, 2002
    Sweden
    Club:
    --other--
    Re: SV: Links to Pellerud Articles

Well, there is of course a http://www.google.no - just to see what happened I searched for "pellerud kvinnelandslaget" and got 251 hits, at least the first 15 about the recent events.

I usually use http://fotball.adressa.no to keep in touch with the norwegian game - since both the men's top side Rosenborg and the women's Trondheims-Ørn are local clubs.

18. nordby1

nordby1 Member

Sep 4, 2001
    SAN DIEGO
    Club:
    Lillestrom SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    SV: Links to Pellerud Articles

"Tusen takk igjen" :) I'm guessing that you have to use this http://www.google.no address if you are going to do a search that involves the use of any Norwegian words.

I worked in Norway for five summers and went to the International Summer School at the University of Oslo, but sadly I am still far from being fluent "på norsk." Perhaps you or one of the other Scandinavian regulars to this forum could post a translation or at least an English summary of one or more of these articles. :kjempekult: :cool:

"På forhånd takk igjen!"

19. SteinL

SteinL New Member

Aug 2, 2004
    Norway
    Even Pellerud has announced that he want to stay in Canada, and does not want to take over the job with the Norwegian WNT. All this according to Norwegian Broadcasting, NRK.no.

As for sources of information about norwegian women's soccer, 100% Fotball is probably one of the best. But I can also mention that I have set up a little weblog myself and have been "blogging" norwegian women's football news for the last 2-3 weeks. It's address is:
    http://www.pvv.org/~steinl/mt/mt/

20. nordby1

nordby1 Member

Sep 4, 2001
    SAN DIEGO
    Club:
    Lillestrom SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    "Tusen takk" for the update about Pellerud. Also "tusen takk" for these links. I'll have to start taking a look at these on a regular basis.

Bente Nordby must be really disappointed that Pellerud is staying in Canada. Do you know anything about her status with Kolbotn and what the chances are that she will stay with the National Team through the European Championships?

Hilsen!

21. SteinL

SteinL New Member

Aug 2, 2004
    Norway
    Bente Nordby

Bente Nordby is considering whether she should stay in Kolbotn or move to Asker for next season. Anyhow, she is continuing to play at the highest level in Norway. If she is going to play at the EC depends on the new coach, I guess. Whoever it is, he/she might feel that is it time for Bente Nordby to retire and hand the WNT goalkeeper position over to yourger talents, such as Ingrid Hjelmseth or Silje Vesterbekkmo.

22. nordby1

nordby1 Member

Sep 4, 2001
    SAN DIEGO
    Club:
    Lillestrom SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Bente Nordby Decides to Sign With Asker

It looks like I will have look at these sites a little more often than once a week. ;)

Bente Nordby klar for Asker

This is a very nice "Romjul" present for me finding out that Bente has decided to continue playing club fotball in the Oslo area. :)

Hopefully I will get to watch Bente play for Asker several times while I am housesitting in Oslo 4 next May. Maybe I'll get really lucky and be there when Asker has road matches against Røa, Kolbotn, or Team Strømmen. :cool: :kjempekult:

23. nordby1

nordby1 Member

Sep 4, 2001
    SAN DIEGO
    Club:
    Lillestrom SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    SV: Bente Nordby Decides to Sign With Asker

Didn't Liungen also get promoted up from the first division? If I'm not mistaken they play in the Drammen area only about 20 minutes south of Asker by train, so that could give me one more option for watching a Toppserien match without having to travel far from Oslo. Anyone know when next season's Toppserien schedule will be released? "På forhånd takk!"

Hilsen!

24. nordby1

nordby1 Member

Sep 4, 2001
    SAN DIEGO
    Club:
    Lillestrom SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Back to the topic of NFF looking for a new coach for the WNT. According to yesterday's edition of the Norwegian newspaper VG, it looks like Bjarne Berntsen has now been offered the job:

Berntsen tilbudt kvinnelandslaget

It looks like most of Berntsen's experience has been with the Stavanger men's club Viking. Just out of curiosity, was he coaching there in 1991? (My first European Football match ever was Viking-Brann in May of 91.) :) Also does anyone know if Berntsen has any experience coaching women?

Another article I found on the SteinL blog says that Hege Riise is concerned about how much time it is taking the NFF to find a new head coach for the WNT.

Riise bekymret over trenersommel

If Berntsen turns down this latest offer, I wonder if Eli Landsem will finally be offered the job? I'm sure Hege Riise would be quite satisfied if her former coach at Asker ends up as Norway's new WNT head coach.

25. secretcode

secretcode New Member

Apr 12, 2004
    USA
    [/QUOTE]
    Another article I found on the SteinL blog says that Hege Riise is concerned about how much time it is taking the NFF to find a new head coach for the WNT.
    [/QUOTE]

Can you tell us what she had to say about it? I am assuming she means there is a lack of interest, unless there are internal conflicts.

Also, Nordby1, what is the deal with the women's league there? I know the crowds are not as big as in Sweden, but do the women get any compensation?

And what does the national team look like for the Euro 05? They did well against Sweden earlier in the year.