Northwestern vs. Creighton [R]

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by Karl K, Nov 24, 2004.

1. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    Creighton wins a see-saw battle 3-2 with the winning goal in the 86th minute.

The game reports:

http://nusports.collegesports.com/sports/m-soccer/recaps/112304aab.html

http://www.gocreighton.com/sports/common/news_releases_detail.asp?articleID=4064

Based on these reports, this game sounds as if it were a tremendous match -- an own goal, great saves, a missed penalty, lots of back and forth action.

I was at the Western Illinois game that NU won, and NU's Gerardo Alvarez was the best player on the field that game. Appears as if he was a key factor in this contest as well.

The era of NU being a Div 1 doormat are over. I think Tim Lenahan should win NCAA coach of the year.

And, at the end, he strikes just the right tone.

"I told our guys this is the first great team in Northwestern history. There will never be another first great team again. I'm proud of what we accomplished this season."

2. sweeper77

sweeper77 New Member

Mar 24, 2004
    Omaha
    It was a great game to watch. Creighton controlled most of the first half. Northwestern had the upper hand in the second half. NU created alot of chances in the second half but did not finish well. The missed PK was a killer for Northwestern. If they make that with 7 minutes to go then they can bunker down the rest of the game. Creighton deserves alot of credit in coming back twice and finally getting the game winner with 4 minutes to go.

3. Dsocc

Dsocc Member

Feb 13, 2002
    I agree. And in keeping with the best traditions of the Big 10, he couldn't even win Big 10 Coach-of-the-Year.

4. cusoccer82

cusoccer82 Member

Aug 9, 2000
    Denver, CO
    Unbelievable! That is about the only word that could describe last evening's game. It was a cold, but nice night for a game at the MGM on CU's campus and the NCAA even flew in MLS and international referee Terry Vaughn to do the center. Everything was set up for the makings of a classic match. The first fifteen minutes saw CU possess well and get a couple near chances with the return of the speedy and dynamic Mike Kraus up front. The Jays came out attacking playing a 3-4-3, while Northwestern sat back in what at time appeared to be a 4-5-1. About fifteen minutes in NW got a nice cross off, which appeared that would be an easy clearance but Tony Odorisio mis-headed the ball directly into the corner of the goal past freshman Matt Allen who started in goal for the Jays. It was one of the finest own goals I've ever seen in person. CU responded well to the goal, but it seemed like it would be difficult to crack the NW defense which looked solid in the early going. Finally late in the half after Warming brought in a whole new attacking group (Carvajal, Biggerstaff and Bennah replacing Kraus, Tarver and Nash). Carvajal made a clever cut and sent a cross to Bennah who hit the post, but the shot rebounded to Carvajal who calmly volleyed the ball past Pines. The game went into halftime 1-1, NW fully aware that they could play with anyone and CU glad to have evened the match. The second half saw CU bring out the same lineup as it ended the half, but this time without much energy. NW came down and David Roth scored an excellent goal, slotting home a ball after Allen let a ball drop in the box and some confusion in the clearance. However, once again CU responded shortly thereafter as skillful freshman speedster Tim Bohnenkamp sent in a perfect serve after flying down the left wing to a streaking Carvajal who split his defenders and sent a perfect header into the corner of the goal. For some reason he has been in Warming's doghouse for most the season but there is no denying that he is one of the most skilled and exciting players in college soccer. People should get used to hearing his name if he continues to develop like he should as a player. This is when the game got really interesting. Action was end to end and both teams put together some nice attacks. Highlights were some great pieces of skill and possession by NW's Alvarez who was the class player of the evening for the Wildcats. In addition, CU just missed a tremendous third goal for Carvajal as Kraus sent him thru with a spinning behind the leg pass, the ensuing shot just missed. Finally with 7 minutes to go Alvarez found himself at the top of the box and took a nice tough between two CU defenders but appeared to flop. For a large part CU had gotten the better of the calls from Vaughn all evening, but Vaughn wanted to even that up right away as he awarded a PK to the flailing Alvarez who had made a meal of other non-calls earlier in the game. It was pretty amazing to see such an exciting and entertaining game to be decided by such a questionable call so late in the game. Apparently Vaughn didn't want anyone to forget that he refereed the match. Alvarez then stepped up to take the PK in the quiet end of the stadium. In complete surprise to everyone in attendance, his shot not only went wide but went high as well and a collective sigh could be heard from the crowd. CU's energy was high after the miss and just two minutes later Tarver got open from about 25 out and hit a rip of a shot that was just off the ground. Biggerstaff was standing with his mark at around the PK spot and while not even looking at the ball put his heel up in the air. By some sort of miracle the shot deflected off of his heel misdirecting the shot up into the corner of the goal. We'll never know if Pines could've gotten to it otherwise but it set off a huge celebration as CU had finally overcome the deficit they'd been in all game. CU killed off the last five minutes well and will move onto a match-up against Maryland. For those of you who can make it, expect an exciting free-wheeling game as CU has shown it wants to attack and has the players to score goals at even the most inopportune times. For the most part it was a solid defensive effort as well, but Thompson and Garey will be the most difficult test of the season to defend. Whoever can come out of this match-up alive should be a favored candidate to win the tourney.

5. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Not a fan of the paragraph, huh?

6. terp fan

terp fan New Member

Nov 21, 2000
    Sounds like it should be a good game Sunday. The past two seasons coming to College Park for NCAA Tournament games has been a death sentence for opponents....we will see it the trend continues.

I think the tournament is very open this year with no clear favorites, there are propbably 10 teams that could win it all including these two.

7. CUgrad01

CUgrad01 New Member

Oct 20, 2004
    This should be a good one.

8. cusoccer82

cusoccer82 Member

Aug 9, 2000
    Denver, CO

It should be a great game by two teams that ...gasp....actually try to play soccer and have players with attacking flair. I'm sure the Terps are taking notice of CU's success on the road against ACC teams in past years. The weather looks great for Sunday, so hopefully the best soccer team on the day will advance to most likely play a UCLA team that has finally found its legs. I agree, you could make a case for probably about 10 of the final 16 to have a realistic chance at this year's title.

9. CUgrad01

CUgrad01 New Member

Oct 20, 2004
    I see that the last time these 2 teams met was in 2001 when Creighton went into College Park early in that season and jumped ahead 2-0 before finally winning 2-1. I checked the box score and it looks like the only 2 Jays who played in that game were Julian Nash and Brett Rodriguez. I didn't see Kama Bennah or Andrew Brown on the line score. Bennah may not have even been on that team yet. I notice a few Maryland names also that are still on the current roster. So it looks like largely 2 teams that will not have much familiarity with each other. I wish I could be there. I wonder if it will be webcast. Take it to 'em Jays!

10. gsterp

gsterp Member+

Jul 16, 2003
    College Park
  11. Nanananooooonan

Nanananooooonan New Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Unlucky Creighton!!! Sure have a feeling UMD is gonna tear you apart! Have a good time Creightongrad bitching to yourself cause no one cares about your fu##ing Bluejays. Go Maryland!

12. CUgrad01

CUgrad01 New Member

Oct 20, 2004
    Eat your heart out loser.

13. CUgrad01

CUgrad01 New Member

Oct 20, 2004
    and by the way. How is your beloved Santa Clara doing? And how about your strong WCC conference? Funny, I don't count any WCC teams left in the tourney. Let's see.............I think our conference still has 3 of our 16. How many people do you think care about your fu%#king broncos right now? Go Losers!

14. Nanananooooonan

Nov 15, 2003
    Hey douchebag! My team is doing just fine. In fact they are the reigning national champs and are still looking like they have a good shot at repeating. Eat your heart out Creighton, keep trying to make it up to "top tier" status.

15. CUgrad01

CUgrad01 New Member

Oct 20, 2004
    Oops..........forgot.........the women are your claim to fame. My mistake.

16. Nanananooooonan

Nov 15, 2003
    Dear Jackass,

I am an Indiana University Men's Soccer supporter. We have won 6 National Championships, including the national championship this past season. Please get your facts straight before you start making an ass out of yourself, which you have been doing consistently for the past 2 weeks.

Thanks

17. CUgrad01

CUgrad01 New Member

Oct 20, 2004

Oops.........Bobby Knight is your claim to fame.........sorry..........I am confused...........Bobby.........the hoops coach..........anger mgmt therapy..........oops........so............Jackass...........who the hell is your crutch?....................is soccer an Indiana sport?

18. Nanananooooonan

Nov 15, 2003
    National Championships:

IU Soccer: 6
    Creighton: 0

IU Basketball: 5
    Creighton Basketball: 0

Indiana University Team Titles: 22
    Creighton University Team Titles: 0

Looks like your school's athletic department has been a COMPLETE AND UTTER FAILURE!!!

Good luck today in trying to reverse your school's unbelievable history of losing.

19. Nanananooooonan

Nov 15, 2003
    Oh and your above post made no sense at all. You sure you're a Creighton Grad? Do they teach english there? Maybe you shouldn't post when you've drank yourself retarded???

20. CUgrad01

CUgrad01 New Member

Oct 20, 2004

21. Nanananooooonan

Nov 15, 2003

22. CUgrad01

CUgrad01 New Member

Oct 20, 2004
    We'll be there as always.