North Carolina State School recruiting

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by masoccerscout, Jan 21, 2006.

1. masoccerscout

masoccerscout Member

Nov 5, 2005
    Springfield, MA.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking at the verbal acceptances for 2006, the North Carolina State Schools seem to be getting most of their players within the state with maybe 2-4 at each school from outside the state. Is there any reason for this like mandates by the state on how many out of state players they can recruit?
    Are there any other states where the state schools are limited on how much they can recruit out of state?

2. Dsocc

Dsocc Member

Feb 13, 2002
    FWIW. It's driven largely by the difference between in-state and out-of-state tuition. The soccer program's budget takes a bigger hit for out-of-state players than for in-state.

3. wjarrettc

wjarrettc Member
    Staff Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Cliffs of Insanity
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's also nice when you have quality players that have played together since they were 9 years old that you can put on the field together.

I believe the entire starting back line of UNC played club soccer together before heading to college.

I think it has more to do with the quality of players available locally than the tuition. Take a look at Clemson's roster, how many SC based players are on their roster? I don't have the roster in front of me but last time I looked, I don't think there was a single South Carolinian on the roster.

4. laweez

laweez Member

Jun 29, 2001
    NC
    Speaking for the 88 ODP players, it looks like almost no one *wants* to leave NC. The seniors on the team have committed so far to Wake, Elon (2), High Point, UNC-Wilmington (4), UNC-Greensboro (3).

This is an excellent NC ODP team, too--going to play in the Nationals for the 2nd time in a row in March.

5. masoccerscout

masoccerscout Member

Nov 5, 2005
    Springfield, MA.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The moderate climate and quality facilities are probably a factor also in keeping players in state. However I did hear the UNC - Chapel Hill coach say that he is allowed only 4 out of state scholarship players per year (even for partials) so I am wondering if this is common across the North Carolina state supported schools or just a condition he has imposed by his school administration.

6. Dsocc

Dsocc Member

Feb 13, 2002
    I'll still maintain that it's the impact of the cost. His use of "allowed" likely has more to do with "the budget only allows 4 out-of-state players". UNC's money sports have significant numbers of non-North Carolinians.

7. masoccerscout

masoccerscout Member

Nov 5, 2005
    Springfield, MA.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It sounds like you are correct.

8. bent

bent New Member

Aug 31, 2004
    As usual UNC-Charlotte and Coach Tart seems to have missed the boat.

9. laweez

laweez Member

Jun 29, 2001
    NC
    Which is kind of ironic because a great deal of the 88 ODP training was held at UNC-C by his assistant coach (at the time) Findley.

10. Skin

Skin New Member

Aug 6, 2005
    I'd say a big positive for Southern Conf. teams among NC parents is that they don't travel as far within their conference as other area teams such as UNCC. We can see more of their games. That was an important factor for our own decision.

Many of the NC 88s are going to programs that have had an active involvement within their ODP experience at some point - staff and/or facilities at UNCC, Elon, UNCG and UNCW were all well known by the guys. I think we have a good ODP program going here in NC.

11. chips4000

chips4000 New Member

Apr 13, 2005
    With regards to UNCC - The previous Women's soccer coach was heavily recruiting 2006 Elite players. When the new coach came in from Ohio?, all contact stopped except for 1-2 players....guess he wanted to recruit from outside the state...

12. collegesoccer

collegesoccer Member+

Apr 11, 2005
    Real Simple.

Very Solid academic schools in-state with a cheap price tag. If a kid wants the private school with great academics always has Wake and Duke to choose. Good facilities and weather make the decision making easier.

North Carolina is one of the toughest places to recruit if you are an out of state school. The state has great brand identity with its institutions, something some of the Northeast states haven't done.