Noonan to Norway

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by miked9, Jan 23, 2008.

1. miked9

miked9 Member+

May 4, 2000
    Philadelphia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Real bright move by the Revs braintrust. Overpay a guy for a year, then let him go on a free and leave yourself without 3 of your top 4 goalscorers from the last 4 years.

http://www.socceramerica.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=Articles.showArticleHomePage&art_aid=25291

2. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    It's a very good move for Noonan: he'll make more money than he did in New England, he should see regular playing time provide he stays healthy, he'll be playing in front of the best supporters in Norway, and it won't hurt that former Revolution player Adin Brown will be his new teammate. Who knows, if AaFK have a good season in 2008, maybe there's a chance for him to play some European football as well.

That being said, some might consider this another case of the Revolution being "penny wise, but pound foolish." They've taken this route before - not exercising a contract on a key player, then hoping he'll re-sign for a lower-salary on a long-term contract - only to see the player make the jump overseas.

One such player: Noonan's new American teammate at AaFK.

The Magpie

3. Soccerglue

Soccerglue Member

Jul 24, 2005
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe FSC can start showing the Norwegian league so we can see some of the Yanks play.

4. Trevallion

Trevallion Member

May 3, 2006
    The Yakima Valley
    I know that this was a free transfer and really nothing like Taylor Twellman's situation...But still, I got to believe that this is burning Taylor up inside. He's seeing all of his buddies go off to europe and make better money, while he is stuck in New England.

(Yes, I know that Twellman signed a deal with MLS for near max money, which for most is great money. He signed the contract, so let's not cry for Taylor.)

5. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    step 1: play for the Revolution

step 2: grow a beard while you play out your contract

step 3: enjoy a free transfer to Norway

6. miked9

miked9 Member+

May 4, 2000
    Philadelphia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's true, but at least in Adin's case they had Matt Reis waiting in the wings. Noonan's heir apparent is Adam Cristman...who tries hard, but isn't nearly Noonan's quality.

7. paladius

paladius Member

Sep 27, 2003
    Frisco, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Revolution had a consistent formula for getting to the Cup (not winning it, mind you) and now they have demolished a good portion of the formula, which means they will be mortal and it won't be a given that they make it to the final.

If they don't sign a DP, then what has transpired of late makes it look as though they are asleep at the wheel.

And how is the stadium search coming for New England?

8. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What search?

9. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The stadium search for New England is about as legitimate as OJ's search for the real killer.

10. saabrian

saabrian Member

Mar 25, 2002
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's pathetic that I couldn't find this news on any other website I checked. Noonan is one of the better players in the league. Certainly more important than Chris Albright, whose move to NE was quite well covered. Even Pravda (revolutionsoccer.net) thought that TNT Vacations was more worthy of a mention than the loss of one of the team's most important players. Ok, so maybe that's not so surprising.

11. Soccerdude redded

Oct 14, 1999
    NY
    Stadium search for New England Revs.......
    [​IMG]

12. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would a draftee be foolish to sign with the Revs in the first place? They don't let their players transfer unless the contract runs out. They are cheap, cheap, cheap.

13. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least a signee knows where he stands. Apprentice yourself for a few years, then off to Scandinavia, where your teammates have established a good track record.

14. wolfp10

wolfp10 Member

Sep 25, 2005
    Tell that to Clint Dempsey.

15. Matt12

Matt12 Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Trondheim
    Club:
    Rosenborg BK
    Hope Noonan do well for Ålesund i like the team and they realy do have great supporters.
    But personaly i think they are not likely to get a UEFA cup spot, much more likely to be in the lower part of the tabel.

16. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Yeah, he's gotta be livid.

I'm sure he's like, "let me get this straight. You won't take 2.5 MILLION dollars for me but you'll let Noonan go FOR FREE?"

Plus there's the issue of the team losing another key cog from the MLS Cup game runs. Nicol is a great coach but you lose talent like they lose and eventually it catches up with you.

Taylor is gonna be a very unhappy camper. I know he's a pro and I'm sure he'll always play his hardest, but do you really want your highest-paid player being really unhappy?

17. cpwilson80

cpwilson80 Member+

Mar 20, 2001
    Boston
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Best of luck to Noonan with his move.

I wrote the following on the Quakes forum when Goodson left; replace his name with Noonan, and I think the same thing applies:

For the money, fame, and soccer environment, even the Scandinavian leagues are a step-up from MLS. However, if Goodson (Noonan) has his eyes on the national team - which, given his most recent call-up to camp, I'm sure he does - Norway probably isn't the best move.

Look at the players who have gone to a Scandinavian league (for the sake of argument, consider Denmark, Norway, and Sweden to have equally strong domestic leagues):

Wade Barrett
    Nat Borchers
    Adin Brown
    Dan Califf
    Ramiro Corrales
    Charlie Davies
    Tighe Dombrowski
    Tally Hall
    Heath Pearce
    Robbie Russell
    Brian Waltrip
    Cam Weaver
    Brian West
    (Pat Noonan)

It's a mixed bag: Pearce definitely improved his standing, Califf may have slightly, and Davies probably would have received call-ups regardless of where he played last season.

However, Borchers, Brown, Barrett, Corrales, and West were all fringe guys in the player pool who did not improve their standing while playing abroad.

As others have remarked on the Revs forum, I think Noonan traded off the slight chance of a national team spot with the security of a higher-paying club situation.

18. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I think Bradley has shown he is far more willing to call up players from Scandanavia than Bruce was.

Bruce only ever called up Heath Pearce and Robbie Russell (once) from Scandanavia and was supposedly calling up Brian West but he got hurt. Two (or three) players in eight years. Clearly Arena didn't think much of players being over there.

By contrast, Bradley already has called up Pearce (before he went to Germany), Danny Califf, Jeremiah White, Charlie Davies, Ramiro Corrales and Tally Hall despite being on the job just a year.

So, I don't think the Scandanavian route is as much of a blow to US national team chances now as it once was.

19. Soccerdude redded

Oct 14, 1999
    NY
    My feeling about TT and Revs are: If you just signed a contract not long ago [ last year] and no one forced you to sign it. TT has no beef with Revs FO about them not letting him go to Europe. Noonan is a allright player, not a big deal though.Now this gives the younger guys that are coming up a chance to show their stuff.Pat good luck in Europe.

20. cpwilson80

cpwilson80 Member+

Mar 20, 2001
    Boston
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that Bradley seems more open-minded. Additionally, with the turnover, few sure starters, and the Olympic duties looming, Bradley's been far more likely to call up young players than Arena was during his tenure.

Still, I don't see how Noonan improves his national team standing with this move. I think he would be at best the 22nd/23rd guy on a 2010 roster, so professionally, this is a good move.

21. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Daniel Hernandez.

Look, the Shalrie offer was a joke. The Twellman offer, that's a legitimate point of discussion.

The Revs have a pretty decent record on this.

22. Nick Katz

Nick Katz New Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    There was a report a year ago that the Revs were looking for a stadium in Somerville, a city just north of Boston, that would they would start work in 2009 or 2010. But there hasn't been any follow up that I'm aware of.

23. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So they are moving to Vegas?

24. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Pat Noonan's play is much more of a gauge of his national team standing than what jersey he wears most weeks.

25. Soccerdude redded

Oct 14, 1999
    NY
    [​IMG]