Non-MLS players DC United should consider for 2004

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Knave, Nov 11, 2003.

1. eltico

eltico Member

Jul 16, 2000

Where is Hayes now? Still with Richmond?

2. 4mybroRRT

4mybroRRT Member

Apr 10, 2001
    N. VA - DCU-land
    It was St. Kitts, dude....relax. He was with Ricmond for a reason. Send him to Dallas....

3. doneshufflin

doneshufflin New Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Washington DC
    That's funny stuff, but I don't think you are going to be too relaxed when he is on another team tearing the league up.

4. DCU

DCU Member

Feb 15, 1999
    Bay Area, CA
    oh my god.

5. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I don't think he should be dismissed because he plays in the A-League. And while I don't think too much can be made over what he did against St. Kitt's, because of the level of opposition, what should be noted is that he was on the 18-man roster for the U23 team, ahead of a bunch of MLS players, including some on DC United.

As the team is built right now, United doesn't need Testo. But, I have a hunch there are gonna be a lot of moves between now and the draft - and more after the draft - that could change that.

I would fully expect Testo to be invited to someone's training camp and I wouldn't be surprised if, at that training camp, he showed well enough to earn a spot.

Will MLS pay a transfer fee to an A-League team? That I have a question or two about. Under the old USL/MLS agreement, the league only had to pay a very small token sum when it plucked players from the A-League. Now, they don't have to pay anything if the player is under contract. But, if the player is under contract, the A-League team can, and IMO should, insist on a transfer fee and I'm not sure MLS wants to establish a precedent where the A-League teams are rewarded for signing players as they don't want to give the A-League incentive to compete for MLS caliber players.

6. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Hayes was on the 99 United team that won MLS Cup.

7. steever

steever Member

Jan 14, 2002
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Rochester, since late '02, I think.

8. owendylan

owendylan Member

May 30, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    I think you meant out of contract. I'm not sure MLS has much of a choice. They have to buy his contract out in some fashion or Richmond could have a breach of contract suit against the player (depending on how the contract is written). I don't think the A-League has much of an incentive to compete for MLS caliber players mainly because of salary. It seems that the players they do "snatch" away from MLS are the mid to low tier players and some rookies, that they can match or sometimes offer more for along with almost guaranteed playing time. MLS still has bigger fianancial resources than all but a few A-League teams, and it has the cache of being the top level of pro soccer in the country. Maybe on the fringes they will compete, but not much above it. However should the A-League unearth a gem that can make the league, MLS should have to pay if there's a contract.

As a related aside. Was Martins out of contract when United signed him or was some kind of fee paid to Pittsburgh?

9. PumaJohnny

PumaJohnny Member

Nov 30, 2001
    Draper
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I mentioned this in another post, but he was the sharpest looking player on the pitch for the Olympic Squad last night.

10. PumaJohnny

PumaJohnny Member

Nov 30, 2001
    Draper
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course everyone looked good against St. Kitts, but he was on the field with Bobby Convey and Kyle Martino and he was the stand-out player.

11. John_Harkes_6

John_Harkes_6 New Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Baltimore, MD.
    Someone correct me if I am wrong but Pittsburgh let him go on a free b/c they were not going to be in the A-League next year.

12. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    ... mod's note ...

Threads merged. Testo already under discussion here.

13. owendylan

owendylan Member

May 30, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Yes they are moving down a division, this must have been the reason.

14. tmas

tmas Member

Dec 30, 2002
    Didn't Testo try out with the Wizards last off-season?

15. gsterp

gsterp Member+

Jul 16, 2003
    College Park
    Yeah, he was with the Wiz all through pre-season, and was offered a spot, can't remember if it was full roster or not though. He decided to come to Richmond instead so he could get playing time rather than ride pine.

He played well for the Kickers last season. He scored 6 goals if I remember correctly, although his production noticably tailed off as the season went on. What everyone saw last night was a fair observation of what David brings to the table. Good strong player who isn't afraid to shoot the ball from distance. Last season he worked best when he was paired with a big target striker that he could run off of, and sure enough he produced last night next to Buddle. He was tried at wide midfield once or twice, and there's a reason it was only once or twice; he's not the best defensive player the world as ever seen. Not horrible, but there's much to be desired.

I'd have to think that MLS would have to pay something to Richmond should Testo be picked up. Otherwise A-League rosters could just be pillaged at any time during the season. Hopefully for the sake of fairness it would be more than the $10,000 that the old agreement gave. Doesn't seem right that Richmond gets 10K while San Jose gets DeRosario. Maybe this time, should Testo go to DC, they cut a deal that at the annual pre-season friendly, one Mr. Adu is guaranteed a start.