Non EU: Argument ends here

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by bigp, Jun 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigp

bigp New Member

Mar 8, 2004
    TDOT
    Hleb, Adebayor, Gilberto, Toure=Non EU

They all played in EPL matches this season at the same time.

The 2000 Marcotti article that was posted in the Yaya thread doesn't apply because the 3 non EU player restriction ended in 2003.(I know because of CM/FM :p).

2. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
  3. SLO-Gunner

SLO-Gunner New Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Baltimore
    Bighorn to the rescue please

4. Bighorn

Bighorn New Member

Jan 5, 2005
    41.8 Lat -87.68 Lon
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    You are correct.
    The argument is over.

Passport issues be damned! Sign Yaya Toure!

5. jpatel1508

jpatel1508 New Member

Aug 29, 2003
    Thankyou

Also, as soon as theFA website is back up...I will further confirm this too.

6. Bluto11

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    i think people are confusing work permit and non-EU

7. Bighorn

Bighorn New Member

Jan 5, 2005
    41.8 Lat -87.68 Lon
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I will agree to leave this thread open so you can post this.
    In turn you must agree to post no more until you can confirm.

8. Miles Brasher

Miles Brasher Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Coventry,England
    I've got a really mean streak, I must have, because I seem to enjoy watching someone run head first into a brick wall time after time after time...

;)

9. n4100

n4100 Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Philadelphia
    Sadist!!!! :D

10. klh23

klh23 Member

Jul 26, 2005
    St. Paul, MN
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to throw fuel on the fire but I saw this:

With clubs prevented by FIFA regulations from playing no more than three non-EU/EEA players in domestic and European competitions, and the Department of Employment imposing strict work permit criteria on players from outside the EU/EEA, there have been a number of "unsubstantiated rumours and allegations" which, says Crozier, "is damaging to clubs, players and the game as a whole"

http://www.thefa.com/TheFA/NewsFromTheFA/Postings/2001/02/1132.htm

11. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe

Yeah, bu thats no good unfortunatly. Why? Because it's a factual statement from the FA who obviously wouldn't know as much as Mr Patel and bigp.......:rolleyes:

12. bigp

bigp New Member

Mar 8, 2004
    TDOT
    Then how did Arsenal field those 4 players I mentioned above? They don't have any EU passport.

13. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe
    Well personally I am not sure that neither Gilberto or Toure have an EU passport. Toure is more unlikely I'll grant you, but Gilberto is Brazilian and is quite likely to have Portugese ancesters.

14. surfcam

surfcam Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is most likely right. Not being born in the EU doesn't mean you can't have an EU passport.

There, now I've posted my ticket-based support of Rick. Please remember this in the new season.:rolleyes:

15. Bluto11

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    question: if you live in England for like 4 years, as Gilberto has (i think), do you still need a work permit, even if you have a foreign passport?

16. deaner1971

deaner1971 Member+

Aug 10, 2005
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. Are people not getting that nationality is not always the same as the issuer of your passport? There are people on this board who have dual citizenship.

How about the Silvinho row? What was his "nationality"? Brazil. What passport did he carry? Portugal. The issue in that row was that Portugal had no record of having issued the passport but not that such issuances don't happen and he was, for the two years he was on Arsenal, (say it together) COUNTED AS AN EU PLAYER!!!!!

17. deaner1971

deaner1971 Member+

Aug 10, 2005
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another example:

"Lauren started his career in Spain, playing for Levante, Seville B and RCD Mallorca; his residency in Spain meant he qualified for a Spanish passport, meaning he is exempt from the post-Bosman ruling regulation that restricts the number of non-EU players to three per team in UEFA competition matches."

18. Bluto11

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    so you just have to qualify for a passport to be exempt from the quota?

interesting.

19. deaner1971

deaner1971 Member+

Aug 10, 2005
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And that's what I don't think is being made clear in this discussion. No one is claiming these guys can play for Portugal or Spain or wherever in a World Cup but they qualify as "EU Players" from that country in this one, very narrowly defined regard.

20. klh23

klh23 Member

Jul 26, 2005
    St. Paul, MN
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And not to complicate it any more, but the EU has an agreement with number of other countries that would allow them to count as EU players. So if any of those players come from a country of that type, they wouldn't count against the quota.

On side note, this is fascinating to me. We don't have this kind of issue here in the states that I know of.:)

I didn't see the above before I posted this

21. deaner1971

deaner1971 Member+

Aug 10, 2005
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll keep posting until the other side conceeds:

"MADRID,. Spain -- Barcelona can register new signing Silvinho for the Primera Liga this season after the Brazilian-born fullback acquired Spanish citizenship on Tuesday.

The 30-year-old ex-Arsenal and Celta Vigo defender signed for the Catalans in the close season on condition he acquired dual-nationality so Barca would not exceed the Spanish Football Federation's limit of three non-European Union players per team.

When he played for Arsenal, Silvinho was registered on the basis of his Portuguese passport but he was reclassified as a Brazilian when he moved to Celta in 2001."

22. klh23

klh23 Member

Jul 26, 2005
    St. Paul, MN
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly, it's just an agreement that they can basically work(i.e play) anywhere in the EU.

23. bigp

bigp New Member

Mar 8, 2004
    TDOT
    I know about the non EU players having EU passports which is why I didn't include Eboue or Lauren on the list.

Toure=No EU passport
    Gilberto=No EU passport that I know of. If anyone can provide proof that he has one then go ahead.
    Adebayor=No EU passport
    Hleb=No EU passport. And I don't know if Belarussians have an agreement about being counted as an EU player.

I'll even ask why Wenger wanted to sign Baptista when he didn't have a EU passport when we had Toure, Gilberto and just signed Hleb at the time.

The 3 non EU limit in UEFA competitions still doesn't make sense when Lyon fielded 4 Brazilians that don't have a EU passport.

And how did Beveren play in the UEFA Cup when their whole team was full of Ivory Coast players?

24. deaner1971

deaner1971 Member+

Aug 10, 2005
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait a minute, you are the guy who posted that you had ended the "EU" argument so you prove that neither of those guys (one who is Brazilian and nationality usually capable of getting Portugese status and one who played in Germany for five years and whose home nation may have an agreement to be included) has one. I don't know why I have to keep doing research when you claimed to have definitively ended the argument.

"That I know of" is hardly the definitive end to an argument.

And I have no idea how Lyon or Beveren got around it but I don't think there is any doubt that UEFA possesses this rule. Of course, the Silvinho issue shows exactly how big the holes are in the whole "non-EU" prohibition.

25. bigp

bigp New Member

Mar 8, 2004
    TDOT